Routing over ATL

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
I'm planning a flight tomorrow to Columbus, GA (KCSG). The direct route from FWQ goes right over KATL.

I've flown directly over BWI and PIT many times -- does this work for Atlanta as well?

If not, what's the best route around/over Atlanta?

(Yes, I looked up IFR preferred routes)

Dan,

Any more info on your route? The direct route takes you NE to SW over Atlanta (and right past my home base - LZU!) That'll probably conflct with ATL's usual routing and I'd expect them to vector you around the Class B (probably the east side in your case).

However, they do have N-S corridors at 5000 & 6000 (IFR) and 5500 (VFR) if you go directly N-S over the field. I see the direct route also takes you over the southernmost part of the Appalachians. If you come down the west side, say down to Knoxville (VXV Volunteer VOR), then V97 to NELLO, you'd be set up to go directly south over Atlanta.

Dan,

Any more info on your route? The direct route takes you NE to SW over Atlanta (and right past my home base - LZU!) That'll probably conflct with ATL's usual routing and I'd expect them to vector you around the Class B (probably the east side in your case).

However, they do have N-S corridors at 5000 & 6000 (IFR) and 5500 (VFR) if you go directly N-S over the field. I see the direct route also takes you over the southernmost part of the Appalachians. If you come down the west side, say down to Knoxville (VXV Volunteer VOR), then V97 to NELLO, you'd be set up to go directly south over Atlanta.

My wife is flying with me so I'm trying to stay west of the less side of the ridges down through WV and TN (the less bumps, the better).

The route I planned so far is:

KFWQ --> BURGS V309 HVQ VXV V97 ATL CSG

So we're tracking! Good info -- thanks for the response!

Last edited:
Dan: Have you checked Fltplan.com for routes issued in the past? Sometimes that helps. I fly right over Atlanta but in the low flight levels; they usually keep me higher until I cross over Athens going to South Carolina.
It might help to look at how the airliners arrive and depart: they come in over VORs on each side and depart between. May just help to look at a couple SIDs and DPs for your direction to know what approach is dealing with and to understand what the airlines are doing when you hear approach talking to them.

Best,

Dave

Dan: Have you checked Fltplan.com for routes issued in the past? Sometimes that helps. I fly right over Atlanta but in the low flight levels; they usually keep me higher until I cross over Athens going to South Carolina.
It might help to look at how the airliners arrive and depart: they come in over VORs on each side and depart between. May just help to look at a couple SIDs and DPs for your direction to know what approach is dealing with and to understand what the airlines are doing when you hear approach talking to them.

Best,

Dave

Dave,

No joy on previous routings -- now too many folks flying from Pittsburgh to Columbus, GA, I guess!

I'll be low as well -- filing for 4 to 6,000.

Dave,

No joy on previous routings -- now too many folks flying from Pittsburgh to Columbus, GA, I guess!

I'll be low as well -- filing for 4 to 6,000.

Not many reasons to go to Columbus - either you're jumping out of a big airplane, or you're going to watch someone jump out of a big airplane. ;)

Not many reasons to go to Columbus - either you're jumping out of a big airplane, or you're going to watch someone jump out of a big airplane. ;)

I would prefer to land at Ft Benning but there's a paperwork drill and you have to fit within certain time slots.

So on to Columbus, Georgia! Land of sand and pine trees! :)

I would prefer to land at Ft Benning but there's a paperwork drill and you have to fit within certain time slots.

and gnats.

Deb

Dan, you might be able to go over the top of ATL if you're coming down from NELLO. Make your request to the first approach controller after getting handed off by Atlanta Center. Your MEAs south of Volunteer are a lot higher than 5 or 6K.

Living in Chattanooga, Atlanta is a big blob from h@ll. Any flight to the south involves going around ATL class B. I've given up on trying to figure out if/when/how to get past ATL bravo IFR.

If my dest is SE of ATL, I file AHN then dest. If SW, I file HEFIN then dest.

Good luck!

I've only been allowed to enter their hollowed class "B" once in at least two dozen flights. This was both VFR and IFR and anywhere from 5k to 10k.

So, I quit trying. I go around.

I was never going due N-S though. Most of my attempts were NW-SW or vice versa.

Living in Chattanooga, Atlanta is a big blob from h@ll. Any flight to the south involves going around ATL class B. I've given up on trying to figure out if/when/how to get past ATL bravo IFR.

If my dest is SE of ATL, I file AHN then dest. If SW, I file HEFIN then dest.

Good luck!

Hey Bill! Long time, no see!

Just fly over here to Lawrenceville. Then you'll get to fly the DUMBB BUNNI arrival. :)

Left MGW at 9:30 PM (2130 EST) to get here before the rains came in (my wife is a very nervous flier and smooth/ not-bumpy is the only weather item that matters).

I left work, stopped at MGW, flew the Chief from MGW to FWQ, pulled the C205 out, put the AR11 in, flew the 205 to MGW and parked it on the ramp.

Drove home, had some dinner in front of Aviation Weather site, tossed clothes in a bag, let her drive us to MGW (35 minute drive which would keep her mind OFF the upcoming flight).

The wind was 090@3G6(!) right now. I'd just spent an hour in the air. I assured my dear wife it would be a smooth flight. I asked the lineman to let us through the super-duper security gate onto the ramp so we could leave when he says to both of us, "The guy in the pattern said winds are about 20 from the southeast and it's pretty bumpy up there."

I think he knew I was considering killing him.

:mad3:

I walked her out to the airplane, helped her get in, "It's going to be bumpy??"

"Sweetheart -- it's a student pilot doing night takeoff and landing practice -- he can't tell if it's bumpy... I was just up there! If it's smooth in my little airplane it will be very smooth in this huge thing!"

She remained unconvinced. I considered taxiing through the FBO.

Cleared as filed, cleared for takeoff 36, all systems go, launch.

We roared into the air and there were a few, typical, flying-over-West-Virginia bumps through the big left turn that would put us on course. I considered dropping an anvil on the FBO -- where did I put that anvil?

Switch to CKB Departure, climb to 8k, smooth, smooth, smooth.

It's quiet on Approach freq -- I ask -- learn the Yankees are ahead, 3-1. Ugh.

Everything's looking great, she asks me if there will be any more bumps. I promise one there won't be any, and that the first thing I teach all my students is the keep the dirty side down and the second thing is to ignore advice from lineman.

I choose a more easterly routing to avoid the slow front moving in from the west (KMGW EKN V37 PSK T203 BZM AHN KCSG) I was closely monitoring the XM NEXRAD display. We were going to encounter some light precip, with heavier stuff immediately off the right wing. Given the time delay, we might clip some yellow/orange. I deviated about 3 degrees left of course.

I prefer not flying SEL at night over the mountains, but this night was clear, the airplane very familiar, and the weather windows were about to slam shut. My route would be over some remote areas in WV that I know well. There would be about 20 minutes of no options if we lost our only powerplant.

I set everything, checked everything, and told myself to make no changes until we had Greenbrier in gliding range.

The rest of the flight was fairly uneventful. For a while we enjoyed crosswinds, with negligible effect on ground speed. Once we made the turn southeast near Hickory, NC, the headwinds increased. There was less traffic on now, and a couple of times I checked in with ATL Center to be sure I still had comms.

Atlanta was no factor as we were pretty far east and there was minimal traffic. I set up for the RNAV 13 at KCSG. Everything was fine, still smooth, but this was my first time into CSG. The airport is lost in a sea of light, and I was 2.5 miles out before I actually spotted the taxiway lights -- there were no runway lights on 13! (they claim to be med intensity -- they lie!)

I lined up using the taxi lights, waited, saw the rwy centerline, and landed. As I rolled out I could see 6-24 lit up like a Christmas tree.

After a bit of taxiing to find the FBO pad (it was 0140 AM), I parked it and called the hotel shuttle.

It was a long flight, but smooth. 6.3 logged in 2 very different airplanes.

Last edited:
I had three tours at Fort Beginning back when on active duty. Had some great times and some challenging ones. Hope you have a great time visiting.
Going back to Infantry Hall would be something I would just have to do there; although, a lot of fine fellows I served with would come to mind that are no longer with us. Be interesting to see if 65th Company OCS barrack were still there; that's where I became an officer and gentleman <g>

Best,

Dave

I had three tours at Fort Beginning back when on active duty. Had some great times and some challenging ones. Hope you have a great time visiting.
Going back to Infantry Hall would be something I would just have to do there; although, a lot of fine fellows I served with would come to mind that are no longer with us. Be interesting to see if 65th Company OCS barrack were still there; that's where I became an officer and gentleman <g>

Best,

Dave

Dave,

The Army -- unlike the Air Force -- still loves its WW2 barracks.

:rolleyes:

When we flew into CSG year before last, it was a black pit then as well. I had to get out the taxiway diagram to figure out how to get to the ramp and even then I had to back-track a couple of times. Weird airport for a weird town, I guess...

When we flew into CSG year before last, it was a black pit then as well. I had to get out the taxiway diagram to figure out how to get to the ramp and even then I had to back-track a couple of times. Weird airport for a weird town, I guess...

Whew.. glad it's not just me!

I had the needles nailed, flew to MDA, and -- nothing.

I could see several large towers nearby, and circling at night is not authorized on 6 (?) so I wanted to land and avoid going missed and that whole event after 4.4 hours airborne.

I actually flipped to the 430 map view to confirm I was heading to an airport!

Last edited:
Dave,

The Army -- unlike the Air Force -- still loves its WW2 barracks.

:rolleyes:

Reminds me of a TDY I went on back in the 80's.

Went to Oslo, Norway for a deployment. I was part of some set up team (went 1 week bbefore the deployment) the AF put me up in a hotel for the week, just outside my room was a huge field filled with the Army guys in tents. Life was good!

This trip earned me an incentive flight in one of our F-16's. One and a half hours of pure excitement. What an incredible machine.

Life was GREAT!!

I landed there last December and don't recall it being all the weird. I had the diagram in my hand when I landed as I had to shot an approach in on rwy 24 and just made a right turn to the FBO. They helped me tie it down and then called the airport shuttle for me. Nice place.

I landed there last December and don't recall it being all the weird. I had the diagram in my hand when I landed as I had to shot an approach in on rwy 24 and just made a right turn to the FBO. They helped me tie it down and then called the airport shuttle for me. Nice place.

I landed well into the night and the FBO was locked-tight. Their 'taxiway lights' weren't much more than a few fireflies standing around singing Kumbaya.

I wasn't impressed with the FBO staff. When we came in to leave, I asked if I needed to pay a tie-down fee or anything. They said "Oh, did you fly in?" I said "Uhhh.. Yes.. I'm the only plane on the ramp." They said "Oh.. I didn't see one out there." :eek:

6-24 is the main runway, and well lit.

13 is a definite secondary, and really not suitable for night IFR -- though there is no published information that would suggest such.

Hah!! I called Lawson AAF for the same thing. Guy was really nice but essentially said, "call Ft. Belvoir", where the Engineers manage all the access. Apparently, it's a hassle, but once you have it, you're good to go on all CONUS AAF's.

Anyway, ended up at CSG, which was a pleasant experience. I was stationed at Benning for 4 years in addition to going through Jump School and Ranger School. I loved the place.

Back