Route curiosity, what would you do?

midcap

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
midcap
I have zero experience with this but hypothetically speaking, if you were trying to fly out of KNEW and ultimately your goal was to land at KISM what would be the IFR flight you would take?

let's say 150kts with 2 hours of flight time and 1 hour of reserves.

If I asked this question in a improper manner, let me know.

Without breaking down every waypoint, I would generally follow the V295 to the V198 and then try to vector over.

KNEW SJI KMAI OCF LEESE2 KISM, and stop for fuel at KMAI.

Last edited:
KNEW PEARL V198 MAI V521 CTY V159 OCF.LEESE2 KISM

I'd Imagine I'd have to be at a really high altitude to avoid KNPA?

Not necessarily. Depends on their traffic when you're in their airspace. They may vector you some but you can pretty much get thru there.

Without breaking down every waypoint, I would generally follow the V295 to the V198 and then try to vector over.

Californians are so cute. They even preface Victor Airways with "the."

I have zero experience with this but hypothetically speaking, if you were trying to fly out of KNEW and ultimately your goal was to land at KISM what would be the IFR flight you would take?

let's say 150kts with 2 hours of flight time and 1 hour of reserves.

If I asked this question in a improper manner, let me know.

KNEW D-> KISM.

oh ok, that's good to know.

Flew thru there many years ago as a Pvt Pilot in a Sierra from Destin to Gulfport. Got SE of NPA and they gave me traffic of 5 A4s. I was flying along the coast basically VFR, and saw the traffic, 2-3 went to my right and the other 2-3 to my left. It was the Blue Angels. Very cool!

Here's what fltplan recommended.

OCF.LEESE2 480NM BE40
SJI CEW CTY 500NM BE30
SJI CEW HEVVN OCF.LEESE2 504NM C525

As hinted at by James331, Midcap - fltplan.com has a pretty good database of recently filed and recently issued clearances for innumerable routes so consider joining. You can enter a dep and arr airport and it will then provide what has historically happened. Will it guarantee that's what you will get? No. But often it is at least close.

When you get around Perry FL watch out for the 15,000' cable that a drug blimp is secured with. Should be on the sectional, if you use one.

As hinted at by James331, Midcap - fltplan.com has a pretty good database of recently filed and recently issued clearances for innumerable routes so consider joining. You can enter a dep and arr airport and it will then provide what has historically happened. Will it guarantee that's what you will get? No. But often it is at least close.

I did see that on some youtube videos, it seemed like a really cool feature.

And.....sharks! :loco:

If I tossed the 6 passenger inflatable raft from my boat with my EPIRB in the place, I wouldn't be scared. I have been on the water all my life.

What I would be scared about is landing the plane in the water and everyone be ok.

Hey if you fly along the Fl coast after the bend try to stop in to Cedar Key airport. There's a thread on it somewhere here.

Careful what you ask for ;)

Not sure I'd want to be that far off shore

Indeed. Better have survival gear. Ditch near an oil platform or ship.

I was just guessing they wouldn't give me direct even if I filed it that way. Maybe they would.

Otherwise the route would be via TLH OCF.PIGLT4

Just hope the guys at Eglin or Pensacola don't want to use those warning areas.

KNEW D-> KISM.

This. See what you get.

The problem is you may only have the fuel to make the trip as planned. Now you are ready to go and you get a reroute on your taxi out. Now you need more fuel.

I have always found it better to plan for what you think you will get, vs what you want to get.

As you cruise by Tyndall AFB you might see an F-22 climbing like a bat outa hell! :yesnod:

Eglin has the F-35 but they're probably grounded. :rofl:

Just hope the guys at Eglin or Pensacola don't want to use those warning areas.

They do shoot down those QF-4s and QF-16s out thar in that Gulf! :yesnod:

Used to be a supersonic corridor just off the coast south, southeast of Panama City. Fast movers indeed!

Hey if you fly along the Fl coast after the bend try to stop in to Cedar Key airport. There's a thread on it somewhere here.

Just don't plan on fueling there. Lunch would be in order though.

Back