Round-the-world teen sailor feared lost at sea

While that may very well be true on the average in our culture, as a blanket statement I don't feel it is correct. When you look at the third world, you'll see that is not true at all and pre adolescents are tasked with the responsibility of contributing to the family income. Another thing to consider is the complexity of the world we live in has grown exponentially since the 1940s, heck, since the 1970s as far as that goes, and along with it the amount of learning required before "responsibility" can be assumed by anyone. You also have to put into that the factor of "Why should "responsibility" be foisted upon youth?" Youth is a time of creativity growth. Both are things that "responsibility" stifles. You have to be in the mental top 10% in order to maintain both along with responsibility through your life. It is that freedom of youth to be creative longer which parlays itself later in life that is a huge factor in the success of the US. Even Europe where youth and education is more regimented shows a difference in the adult/business/industrial world. There is a definite lack of imagination there and one is often met with the phrase "can't be done" when one has an odd request that a bit of imagination would allow one to diverge from the routine and reapply ones knowledge and equipment to satisfy the need. The problem is not with the youth in America, the problem is with the people who are supposed to be guiding and directing the youth in America. It is they (the parents for the most part) that are failing.

No argument - but by "responsibility" I transmitted a different message than you received.

I don't want to stifle children - but neither do I want them to grow thinking that there are no consequences to their actions.

No argument - but by "responsibility" I transmitted a different message than you received.

I don't want to stifle children - but neither do I want them to grow thinking that there are no consequences to their actions.

Yeah, well, that's pretty much the problem with the single parent or 2 working parent society model, there is no one there to supervise and issue the consequence. A too large of a portion of youth is left to raise themselves.

Well... Someone gave her a ride in a Cub a couple months ago...

In general, I dread flying, but I suppose thats because up to this point I've mainly flown in big planes where I'm forced to sit relatively still for the upside of 5 hours, not the most fun thing ever. But the son of the lady who's hanger was being used for the shoot offered to take me up in his little Piper Cub and that was seriously fun. I mean I didn't think there was anything that could ever come close to sailing, but that got scarily close.
http://soloround.blogspot.com/2011/03/busy-week.html#comments

And now, she's taking lessons! :)

Sunderland said she plans to maintain her adventurous lifestyle.

"I'm going to fly around the world," she said. "I'm on flight lesson No. 3."

She expects to get her pilot's license before she gets her driver's license.
http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/top/2011/05/11-39/Teen-proves-shes-unsinkable.html

If she thought low and slow in a Cub was close to sailing, wait till she discovers soaring!

I got the impression she was talking about fun factor... But yeah, "sailplane" sounds like it's perfect for her. :yes:

South 40s in winter. She's going to get an education.

I agree with Henning's assessment as to her losing her rig. It is an educational process, that the sailors hopes he/she will survive.

Back