Rough first flight

Some instructors teach back to back and do other tasks besides instruction, so they may not have time to monitor weather for every upcoming flight before hand in time to save you from driving to the airport. Maybe the weather picked up while you were driving to the airport. Suck it up, buttercup. It's weather.

But you can look up the weather ahead of time. It isn’t typically that much of a surprise. The CFI should have known at least a few hours ahead of the lesson that it was likely to be a rough ride and should have called the student and cancelled the lesson before the student wasted his time.

there was no reason the student had to have a sunk cost in this. To me this seems like an instructor that doesn’t plan ahead, didn’t know what was on his schedule that day, or doesn’t value the students time. All are yellow flags and may cause me to investigate switching CFIs.

This is exactly how i have felt every time we have met. Never prepared, usually running late and doesnt plan ahead. I have officially switched to a different CFI and can already tell from my conversation with him that i will make much more progress.

...This is exactly how i have felt every time we have met. Never prepared, usually running late and doesnt plan ahead. I have officially switched to a different CFI and can already tell from my conversation with him that i will make much more progress.
Good for you. Many students are hesitant to switch CFIs, so congrats on exerting control of your training.

Back