Rotorcraft Patterns

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
Is there a reference for standard patterns for rotorcraft (if different from fixed wing)? I'd like to keep peace and safety between the two types and am having some challenges with auto-gyro operations. I'm sure that wrong direction patterns and just generally flying willy-nilly any which direction in the pattern area isn't included in anyone's approved guidance.

There is an advisory circular on Helicoter operations at airports.

When completeing an autogyro maneuver, it is not much different than the fixed wing spiral down over the field and the abbreviated base to final.

The maneuver can be safely accomplished, but the helicopter pilot must make sure his maneuver will not interfere with the operation of someone in the traffic pattern ahead of him.

A few years ago, a helicopter and glider landing accident occured at an airport in Florida. I beleive the helicopter was completing the autogyro maneuver and landed on top of a glider that was also landing.

See AIM section 4-3-17 for towered airports. For nontowered airports, AC 90-66A says:
a. Rotorcraft.
(1) In the case of. a helicopter approaching
to land, the pilot must avoid the flow of fixed-wing
aircraft and land on a marked helipad or suitable
clear area. Pilots should be aware that at some
airports, the only suitable landing area is the runway.
(2). All pilots should be aware that rotorcraft
,may fly slower and approach at steeper angles
than airplanes. Air taxi is the preferred method
for helicopter ground movements which enables
the pilot to proceed at an optimum airspeed, minimize
downwash effect, and conserve fuel. However, flight
over aircraft, vehicles, and personnel should be
avoided.
(3) In the case of a gyrocopter approaching
to land, the pilot should avoid the flow of fixed-wing
aircraft until turning final for the active runway.
(4) A helicopter operating in the traffic pattern
may .fly a pattern similar to the airplane pattern
at a lower altitude (500 AGL) and closer to
the airport. This pattern may be on .the opposite
side of the runway with turns in the opposite
direction if local policy permits.
(5) Both classes of rotorcraft can be expected
to practice. power-off landing (autorotation) which
will involve -a very steep angle of approach and
high rate of descent (1,500-2,000 feet/minute).

Didn't RotaryWingBob (may he RIP) have a page he wrote on that? I can't find it right now. Anyone with a better memory?

Didn't RotaryWingBob (may he RIP) have a page he wrote on that? I can't find it right now. Anyone with a better memory?
It's a "sticky" in this forum.

Last edited:
It's a "sticky" in this forum.
Thanks. I thought it was a sticky, but then was running out the door and didn't take the time to look. [thread]16546[/thread]

And very nicely, they've kept the page available.

I was always taught that, when possible, fly opposite what ever standard traffic is. If that's not possible, fly well inside standard. I'd have to look it up but I'm pretty sure it says somewhere about avoiding the flow of fixed wing traffic.

As for autorotations, are they landing on the runway? Are they doing full-downs or recovery autos?

These are not helicopters doing auto rotations. These are auto-gyros. Single seaters with pusher engines. They tend to take off and just fly with-in the confines of the pattern but not necessarily patterns. One in particular tends to give position reports in "plain English" instead of "pilotese" (describes where he is in relation to something else instead of "tight left downwind to 25 - mid field at 500 ft.". Maybe that is because whatever he happens to be doing at the moment can't be described in pattern terminology. Fixed wingers will have trouble finding them and break out of the pattern to try again or go somewhere else. We aren't the busiest airport in the world but we did have about 75 operations each day this weekend.

The AC says that they should avoid the fixed wing flow until on final but where should they be to do that. What should an auto-gyro pattern look like?

The AC says that they should avoid the fixed wing flow until on final but where should they be to do that. What should an auto-gyro pattern look like?

It wouldn't be much different for a helicopter. Note there's no requirement for a rotorcraft to adhere to any sort of pattern, really. One must avoid the flow of fixed wing traffic, period.

For landing practice, some sort of a pattern is required, but it shouldn't disrupt the fixed wing fellows. Since everybody is using the same runway, this might require the gyro to extend the downwind sometimes / often. The unprofessional / vague pattern reports need to be corrected. If there's too much f/w traffic for the gyro to train properly, the regs would require a different airport or time of day. That's the price paid for not having to adhere to a pattern during normal ops.

If Cessnas are breaking out of the pattern to avoid the gyros, there's a problem - and you can tell from my user ID that I'm pro-rotorcraft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note there's no requirement for a rotorcraft to adhere to any sort of pattern, really.

Is this true, really? (yes, i know this is an old thread).

I ran into a situation the other day where gyros were flying a right pattern at a left pattern airport. Yes, they were announcing their positions, but at the time I was thinking to myself "man, this seems like the least safe thing to do to avoid traffic."

The advisory circular (AC 90-66A) says that rotorcraft should avoid fixed wing, but talks about flying a 500' pattern to avoid fixed wing traffic but not opposite pattern (that I can find anyway). And my thinking is that the LAST PLACE a Cub or Champ without a radio will look for traffic is OPPOSITE PATTERN. Thus, this is the MOST dangerous thing for gyros to do.

What have you guys run into?

Start with 14 CFR 91.126 though 91.131. Those are the regulations. The AIM and ACs will provide additional information regarding the recommended procedures for complying with the regulations.

Is this true, really? (yes, i know this is an old thread).

I ran into a situation the other day where gyros were flying a right pattern at a left pattern airport. Yes, they were announcing their positions, but at the time I was thinking to myself "man, this seems like the least safe thing to do to avoid traffic."

The advisory circular (AC 90-66A) says that rotorcraft should avoid fixed wing, but talks about flying a 500' pattern to avoid fixed wing traffic but not opposite pattern (that I can find anyway). And my thinking is that the LAST PLACE a Cub or Champ without a radio will look for traffic is OPPOSITE PATTERN. Thus, this is the MOST dangerous thing for gyros to do.

What have you guys run into?

Go back to that AC and read ALL of (a)(4). It's the very next sentence after the 500' remark.

Reg wise it's just you have to go the right direction for that airport, left traffic unless RP.

That said, altitude or entry is up to the PIC, you'll find RW, AG, seaplanes, all often will fly lower than 1k AGL, feel free to communicate on freq, and always keep your head on a swivel.

In the right seat seat, right patterns work best and conveniently allows for avoiding the flow of FW. Many interpretations of what "avoiding the flow" means though.

Could easily mix it up with FW at their speed and altitude but the AC hasn't kept up with the times.

Back