Rotorcraft LSA?

smv

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
smv
Near as I can tell, there just ain't no such thing...

I have a neighbor who has built himself a home-made helicopter. Apparently using some kind Subaru engine. Says he has had it a few inches off the deck in a hover but is afraid to take it any further.

Question is: Assuming it meets the power/weight/speed/seats/whatever requirements for LSA, can a helicopter actually be an LSA? My guess is that even though it does not have a propeller, the non-fixed-pitch rotor technically disqualifies it from being an LSA.

If it does somehow qualify as an LSA, is a rotorcraft certificate required to legally fly something like this?

FAR 1.1
"Light-sport aircraft means an aircraft, other than a helicopter or powered-lift that, since its original certification, has continued to meet the following:..."

It can be a gyroplane however:
"(9) A fixed-pitch, semi-rigid, teetering, two-blade rotor system, if a gyroplane."

FAR 1.1
"Light-sport aircraft means an aircraft, other than a helicopter or powered-lift that, since its original certification, has continued to meet the following:..."

OMG.... 1.1... :oops:

Okay, so it is not LSA and it most obviously is not certified. So he would need to apply for a 'Special Airworthiness Certificate' in the experimental category and a rotorcraft certificate would be required of the pilot...

a rotorcraft certificate would be required of the pilot...
FYI: This might be dated info, but the last I recall on E/AB helicopters is that provided the aircraft is a single seat version no rotorcraft specific certificate required unless stated on the Ops Limitations sheet.

FYI: This might be dated info, but the last I recall on E/AB helicopters is that provided the aircraft is a single seat version no rotorcraft specific certificate required unless stated on the Ops Limitations sheet.

Hmmm..... Not sure how many seats it has. Have not seen it uncovered yet and just met the guy in passing (new neighbor) today. As small as it is, I cannot imagine he put two seats on it...

The Africans have the market cornered on rotorcraft LSAs.

Okay, so it is not LSA and it most obviously is not certified. So he would need to apply for a 'Special Airworthiness Certificate' in the experimental category
Unless it weighs less than 254 pounds - part 103 does not exclude powered lift...

If it does somehow qualify as an LSA, is a rotorcraft certificate required to legally fly something like this?
I can't read this question without being reminded of this video.

Unless it weighs less than 254 pounds - part 103 does not exclude powered lift...

Do not recall what he said it weighed, but I am pretty sure it was more than 254lbs. The engine alone probably weighs more than that.

Hogg’s distant cousin. Failed to land properly.

If things written on the internet are to be believed, he built that thing out of steel because aluminum was too expensive.

Homebuilt helicopter made from steel actually hovers?

If things written on the internet are to be believed, he built that thing out of steel because aluminum was too expensive.

Homebuilt helicopter made from steel actually hovers?

Lol! Yeah when he made the comment about aluminum vs steel, I was thinking you better stick with aluminum because that thing ain’t getting off the ground with steel.

It’s interesting though, bunch of YT vids from homebuilt helicopters in Africa. The vast majority have no chance of flying but there’s a lot of guys over there with a passion to build and fly.

Back