Rosie The Riveter Dies at 96

I saw that yesterday. She was a cutie.

The journalists call that machine that Rosie is operating a "turret lathe." Sloppy research. It's a vertical shaper. A keyway mill. Nowhere even close to a turret lathe. As with aviation, the media frequently gets things seriously wrong.

Not to diminish Rosie's contributions, or all those other women who worked long, hard hours in noisy and dangerous places building machines to fight off invasive threats. They were important contributors to victory.

I always thought that Rosie the Riveter was a composite or generic name for all the women who worked in airplane factories during WW2. I didn’t realize there was a singular person to lay claim to the name.

I always thought that Rosie the Riveter was a composite or generic name for all the women who worked in airplane factories during WW2. I didn’t realize there was a singular person to lay claim to the name.

Right, but the posters and ads put out by the government used photos of women doing the work. Those are the women laying claim to the images.

My mother in law (now 95 years young) was a "Rosie the Riveter". However, that correlation is lost on her...she will state rather emphatically I wasn't a riveter! She was a aircraft welding inspector for Budd's in Philly working on a stainless steel aircraft project for the Navy. When that was scrapped she moved to the hydraulic press operation using left over stainless to punch out cooking utensils for Navy ships. Her sisters worked there also. I believe one making fuses for artillery shells.

Her favorite line was from her first day in press operations..."If you have an accident, we don't call the ambulance...we just call a hearse!"

Here is the RB-1 Conestoga that they worked on. (As I understand it no rivets. All welded stainless)

NASM-USAF-119170AC.jpg

Conestoga%20RB-1_3c5bde1bd535c3d796cb043e325302b3.JPG

My mother in law (now 95 years young) was a "Rosie the Riveter". However, that correlation is lost on her...she will state rather emphatically I wasn't a riveter! She was a aircraft welding inspector for Budd's in Philly working on a stainless steel aircraft project for the Navy. When that was scrapped she moved to the hydraulic press operation using left over stainless to punch out cooking utensils for Navy ships. Her sisters worked there also. I believe one making fuses for artillery shells.

Her favorite line was from her first day in press operations..."If you have an accident, we don't call the ambulance...we just call a hearse!"

Here is the RB-1 Conestoga that they worked on. (As I understand it no rivets. All welded stainless)

NASM-USAF-119170AC.jpg

Conestoga%20RB-1_3c5bde1bd535c3d796cb043e325302b3.JPG

Looks similar to a DeHavilland C-7 Cabibou a bit....

de-havilland-dhc-4-c-7-caribou.jpg
images

I know a female who actually riveted bombers for Ford, IIRC. I'll have to confirm that next time I see her. Perhaps she has some old photos to share.

I dated a girl that put together Claymores in the early 70s.

She told me that one time someone dropped a fuse and the supervisor stepped on it and blew the heel off his shoe. Remember those shoes..???

s-l1000.jpg

Nope... I wore cow boy boots during that time period.

Late '60s, high school. Many of us wore Snoot Boots.
prod_8485845831

Still wear cowboy boots except in hot weather.

Back