Rosetta Comet Landing

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Remember when we use to lead the world in space exploration? Now we are too busy handing out cell phones to everyone, etc., but I digress. :rolleyes:

The Europeans have a spacecraft orbiting the Rosetta Comet a d will send a landing craft to it today. This is very exciting as it should produce tons of information about our solar system, planet, and sun.

This is just too cool in my world.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/10/tech/innovation/rosetta-comet-landing-experts/index.html

over $1+billion to drill into a rock. ouch. darn cool, but ouch!

The landing craft has separated from the space craft. Landing on the comet is within an hour! :goofy:

This is gonna be great! Maybe they will find Jimmy Hoffa? :rofl:

Wasn't it going to be like 7 hours delayed due to positioning and the distance the communications takes?

Whoop-dee-doo...they did this in Armageddon. :)

(really cool, though!)

Amazing!

One of the most important scientific missions ever done in space, and very likely the most complicated achievement ever in space exploration.

Last edited:
In science, this is way more important and interesting than putting the man on the moon, which was a PR stunt.
This will tell us ALOT about how life was formed in Earth.

This also gives hope, that maybe we still have hope about fantastic research and amazing science, and we (as a humankind) are still capable of doing amazing things that do not benefit any CEO's quarterly bonus..

Remember when we use to lead the world in space exploration? Now we are too busy handing out cell phones to everyone, etc., but I digress. :rolleyes:

I will NOT take the bait. I will NOT take the bait. I will NOT take the bait...

I will NOT take the bait. I will NOT take the bait. I will NOT take the bait...

Well, it's true.

NASA lost the plot after the Apollo missions. Apollo started as a massive disaster (Apollo 1), they managed their mission which unfortunately was more PR than science, and after that the only really meaningful and successful missions were the Hubble and Mars Pathfinder.

Last edited:
Well, it's true.

NASA lost the plot after the Apollo missions. Apollo started as a massive disaster (Apollo 1), they managed their mission which unfortunately was more PR than science, and after that the only really meaningful and successful missions were the Hubble and Mars Pathfinder.

That's not the bait I was talking about.

yup....interecepting another kind of flying rock.....MK. :D

Considering the difference in speed, I would think it would be take a lot longer and require a lot more fuel to intercept a comet than an asteroid.

The Rosetta mission is a bit like:
Throw a rock, and leave it there for 10 years.
After 10 years, contact it, and know where it is within a few km's.
Hope that the "rock" hasn't met any unforeseen asteroids, comets, stardust, fairies, godlike creatues or other fairytales.
Make small adjustments to find an object 500 million kilometers away. Find an orbit around it, which is tricky because the object itself has no gravity so you have to orbit around it based on the science done earlier, based on objects we know about.
Then drop a lander, to land on an object we know nothing about. With a failure we know of earlier (harpoon fail).

As a mission, this is as hard, if not harder, than Apollo 11. This is definitely more groundbreaking in science.
This is Amazing!

Is it just me or do those pics look a lot like northern Arizona? And if you look close, you can see a shadow of the cameraman in the pic... :D :D :D :D

This is VERY cool indeed. Meanwhile, news coverage tonight will consist of 1.) One of the Kardashians' fashion screwup of wearing pink underwear with green pants, 2.) President Obama drank Pepsi while visiting Atlanta (Coca Cola headquarters) and 3.) A cuddly kitten was rescued by an 8 year old boy with cancer who's lesbian mother wants to be a fighter pilot for ISIS.

The Europeans have a spacecraft orbiting the Rosetta Comet a d will send a landing craft to it today. This is very exciting as it should produce tons of information about our solar system, planet, and sun.

This is just too cool in my world.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/10/tech/innovation/rosetta-comet-landing-experts/index.html

The Europeans? Seriously? My god we are totally screwed.

This is VERY cool indeed. Meanwhile, news coverage tonight will consist of 1.) One of the Kardashians' fashion screwup of wearing pink underwear with green pants, 2.) President Obama drank Pepsi while visiting Atlanta (Coca Cola headquarters) and 3.) A cuddly kitten was rescued by an 8 year old boy with cancer who's lesbian mother wants to be a fighter pilot for ISIS.

You, sir are correct. Walked through the door all excited, flipped on Fox first...nothing. Switched over to CNN and listened to a discussion of Kim K's new magazine cover showing her caboose. PITIFUL

You, sir are correct. Walked through the door all excited, flipped on Fox first...nothing. Switched over to CNN and listened to a discussion of Kim K's new magazine cover showing her caboose. PITIFUL

Nothing on TV is better than the talking about the Kardashian whore's, IMHO.

Latest photo just released:

asteroid-worm.jpg

Back