Rosacea/Doxycycline

U

Unregistered

Thought I'd just ask after seeing the accutane discussion.

Shortly after I got my 3rd class I went to a dermatologist and got a diagnosis of Rosacea. I got put on Doxycycline and it seemed to help. Soon as the prescription ran out, my face flared up again so now I'm pretty much on it permanently.

As far as I know nothing about that is grounding and I just need to report that I'm on the medication when I renew my medical again, is that correct?

I felt confident of that and didn't do anything about it but Accutane came up in my research and I thought it just meant you couldn't fly at night and I now see I missed a lot more so... just checking.

My understanding is that no official list of allowed medications exists, though Dr. Bruce Chien would be the closest thing to a authoritative source available on this forum (short of having an FAA employed doctor here!) That said, it helps to first do a web search for medications by their trade or chemical name and the terms "FAA" or "pilot medical". That yields things like unofficial lists such as this:

http://www.leftseat.com/medcat1.htm

Thought I'd just ask after seeing the accutane discussion.

Shortly after I got my 3rd class I went to a dermatologist and got a diagnosis of Rosacea. I got put on Doxycycline and it seemed to help. Soon as the prescription ran out, my face flared up again so now I'm pretty much on it permanently.

As far as I know nothing about that is grounding and I just need to report that I'm on the medication when I renew my medical again, is that correct?

I felt confident of that and didn't do anything about it but Accutane came up in my research and I thought it just meant you couldn't fly at night and I now see I missed a lot more so... just checking.

As far as the doxycycline, it's used to prevent malaria and taken by quite a few professional backcountry pilots in Africa, I wouldn't worry about that one.

Yeah we took Doxy in Iraq and Afghanistan on flight status. Think you're good.

I've been taking it for rosacea for a number of years and my AME doesn't raise an eyebrow. I'd just report it and not worry.

It's fine. I hope the other OP sees this.
He re-asked for everything already in post #10 of that string.

Accutane is NOT worth the trouble that it is, for pilots.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back