Ron Levy / Flying Club

Small world here on POA. I believe N777UM used to belong to the University of Michigan Flyers club we're discussing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That is a 172 that had an unfortunate mishap on a go-around. I'm glad both on board were OK. There was some damage to the plane.

Well, guess whose mechanic friends are working on fixing it with hopes of getting it back in the air? :) It's owned by people I know and has been at Brennand Airport for some time now. Not sure when it will ever be done -- it's sort of a back burner project. I should go look at it again one of these days.

I really love the green color on this plane. The only picture I can find online is here. I don't know the guy. I do know that I hope someone can perfectly match the paint on the skins that are being replaced.

If the stars align I will be flying this someday. If not, it'll have some other new owner.

Small world here on POA. I believe N777UM used to belong to the University of Michigan Flyers club we're discussing. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Not when Fradin and I were members, but that was nearly 40 years ago (club formed in Oct 69, and we graduated in 72/73), and the club is still running.

Actually, it was a Fiat ("Fix It Again, Tony") 124, with a sunroof (through which I was sure they were trying to drop), but that doesn't affect the story other than to make the hole through which they needed to drop smaller.

That does it! I'm getting new equipment so I can get the bomb thru the 124's sunroof! Having being inspired by Disney Pixar's UP, I've decided to get my Commercial Hot Air Balloon rating...to which people say "Commercial Hot Air what?". How do you make a living flying a hot air balloon. To which I respond, "I don't. I just need it to be able to target Levy's car better".

Alas, on Monday August 10, 2009 I did my first lesson from lady instructor and long time balloonist Jeanne Anson (see http://www.lta2sum.com/). (Note: Why do I always end up with lady instructors? My first was Patricia Cleary (Domas) who got me my Commercial and CFI).

I did the inflation, takeoff, climb, fly level, and 5.5 landings.

The last was a doozy. I hadn't gotten use to using the vent.

As we slipped just past the up sticking Carl's Jr. star, and over the street light, Jeanne said it was time to put the vent. And pull I did.

Remembering on a previous use of the vent that I hadn't pulled hard enough, this time I pulled real hard. Too hard.

So instead of floating down like a butterfly, as we had done in the previous 4 landings (not really, but I can say what I want here), we dropped out of the sky like a sewer lid or more like some of Ron Levy's attempts at a spot landing.

We bounced!

I dropped to the bottom of the basket like all good white water rafting guides do when hitting a hole only to be told the pilot's job is to stand UP! Right....:no:

That does it! I'm getting new equipment so I can get the bomb thru the 124's sunroof! Having being inspired by Disney Pixar's UP, I've decided to get my Commercial Hot Air Balloon rating...to which people say "Commercial Hot Air what?". How do you make a living flying a hot air balloon. To which I respond, "I don't. I just need it to be able to target Levy's car better".

Alas, on Monday August 10, 2009 I did my first lesson from lady instructor and long time balloonist Jeanne Anson (see http://www.lta2sum.com/). (Note: Why do I always end up with lady instructors? My first was Patricia Cleary (Domas) who got me my Commercial and CFI).
You say this as if it were a bad thing!:no:
I did the inflation, takeoff, climb, fly level, and 5.5 landings.

The last was a doozy. I hadn't gotten use to using the vent.

As we slipped just past the up sticking Carl's Jr. star, and over the street light, Jeanne said it was time to put the vent. And pull I did.

Remembering on a previous use of the vent that I hadn't pulled hard enough, this time I pulled real hard. Too hard.

So instead of floating down like a butterfly, as we had done in the previous 4 landings (not really, but I can say what I want here), we dropped out of the sky like a sewer lid or more like some of Ron Levy's attempts at a spot landing.

We bounced!

I dropped to the bottom of the basket like all good white water rafting guides do when hitting a hole only to be told the pilot's job is to stand UP! Right....:no:
But if the bounce only counted for half a landing, it couldn't have been that much of a bounce! :)

Back