Ron Levy / Flying Club

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Hey Ron,

What school did you start a flying club at? I know youve talked about it before, wasnt Michigan Tech was it? or something like that? My manager at work was president of the club there in the early 70s and it sparked my memory.

If I'm not mistaken, Ron continues to be based out of Salisbury, Maryland.

Ron will of course eventually answer but I think he did go to school in Michigan. My impression was that it was U of M not M-Tech

ah that could be scott, i thought michigan was in there somewhere, will have to wait for the official word.

I was a charter member, but not a true founder, of the University of Michigan Flyers in October 1969. The real founders were Dick Hoesli, Dave Fradin, and Patricia Cleary (later Domas). I was at various times a Board member, Secretary, and Treasurer of the club until I graduated in December 1972.

nice of Ron to mention some of the early members of the University of Michigan Flyers. I and 5 others started the club in 1969. Dick, Pat and Ron followed shortly afterwards.

It was hard to image a University the size of Michigan did not have a club until then. It grew very quickly and we trained hundreds of pilots and owned dozens of aircraft by the time I graduated in 1973.

nice of Ron to mention some of the early members of the University of Michigan Flyers. I and 5 others started the club in 1969. Dick, Pat and Ron followed shortly afterwards.

It was hard to image a University the size of Michigan did not have a club until then. It grew very quickly and we trained hundreds of pilots and owned dozens of aircraft by the time I graduated in 1973.

If I'd had any money (and maybe a bit more sense) in 1969 I would have joined you back then. I do remember seeing a flyer on a bulletin board about the club when I was a freshman at U of M in 1969.

In the beginning, Ron was not the steely pilot he seemed to become.

I recall Ron flying with us to the Auburn, Alabama National Intercollegiate Flying competition that consisted of power-on, power-off, cross country and bomb drops. We took a Cessna 182 from a club, I was a member of out of Detroit Metro. Ron was my co-pilot and navigator. The University of Michigan Flyers Club only had, I think, two Cessna 150s and others flew them to the competition.

Our first stop enroute was sunken Lunkin airport in Cincinnati. I recall tripping when getting out of the airplane and falling on the tarmac. Good thing I was so uncoordinated, because there was oil all over the belly. The next morning, I checked oil levels and I think we added a couple of quarts. Off we went and due to weather we landing in Lexington, Kentucky. I checked the oil and we were down two more quarts, so I had a mechanic run a compression check. Turns out one of the jugs had a broken a piston ring and had to be replaced. I think Ron rented a 150 and flew over to Columbus or so to pick one up. In record time, the overhaul was done so we left at dusk to go on to Auburn.

During the whole process of replacing the cylinder we were watching. But just as the manifolds were being put on, the mechanics pointed at a sign saying customers could not be in the work area. We had to leave.

An hour or so out of Lexington, Ron screams at the top of his lungs “We are on FIRE!!!!” I said, “What are you talking about? I don’t see any fire”. And all instrument indications were normal. No one else saw any fire. We wondered about Ron.

I said, “OK, we are going to land at the first airport” and I spotted a beacon just ahead. I chopped power and told Ron to figure out from the charts what airport it is. He was just learning how to get a couple of lines of position from the VOR and was drawing on the map just as I entered downwind. He said “There is no airport on the map where the lines crossed.” This suggested Ron had seen too many “Twilight Zones” or he didn’t know how to get a VOR fix. We landed anyway and we all got out of the plane as fast as we can to avoid any Ron Levy fires. After getting a safe distance away, I told Ron to go back to the plane, start it up and lets see if it burns. It didn’t matter with Ron in there…he was the most expendable. Nevertheless, no fire, no nothing!

So we piled into the plane and I remarked that from the smell of things it seemed like they just built the airport. We found out later that they just opened the airport a few weeks earlier. I decided we would make a low altitude, high-speed dash the last 30 miles to Auburn. The sooner we could get out of the plane the better. I told the tower that Ron says we are on fire so can we have landing priority?

As the several days of competition was going on, we had some mechanics look at the plane. They didn’t take off the lower cowling and nothing wrong could be found. I was beginning to think we should examine what is in Ron’s cowling instead. Nobody else in the plane saw any fire either.

Then somehow one of us asked that the lower cowling be removed and we saw right away that 4 bolts on part of the intake manifold were missing. So with normal vibration, the air/fuel mixture was changing and raw gas was shooting out the muffler and igniting, thus producing the seven foot flames Ron was so excited about.

At that point I said that is it. This plane is a jinx so the four of us hopped a airliner home and I left it up to the metro club to get it fixed and bring the 182 home.

As the airliner was taxing out, the pilot got on the intercom and said to expect turbulence. That if anybody felt sick to be sure to use the vomit bag. I was sitting in the front of the plane and Ron was all the way in the back. Knowing that Ron had one of the weakest stomachs of most pilots, I held up a bag and shouted “Hey Levy, quick…tape this to you mouth!”

<snip/>

Knowing that Ron had one of the weakest stomachs of most pilots, I held up a bag and shouted “Hey Levy, quick…tape this to you mouth!”

Ha! Thanks for the great story!!

I have a question about starting a club that none of the "documents" on AOPA or the other sites seems to address... and that is, how do you get your first plane(s)?!

I mean, short of everybody pitching in $XX,000 and buying the plane(s) outright, or the club taking a loan, what other options are available?

I hear of leasebacks to the club as an option, but how does one find owners that are willing to leaseback to a club?

I'm president of a 20 year old flying club based in Austin, Texas. Our club started with one C-150, we now have 3 airplanes, a Warrior, Archer, and Cardinal RG. The first plane was purchased by the ten original members.

When the club decided to go to two airplanes they sold ten more memberships to fund trading the C-150 for the Warrior and Archer.

We added the Cardinal by selling 8 more memberships and assessing the existing members $2000.

All our planes are owned by the Club, the club is owned by the 28 members,each of whom own 1/28th of the whole. Shares are bought and sold at whatever the market will bear. New members must be approved by our board of directors, and the board can buy back a share if a member is found unsuitable (this has happened once). Our monthly dues cover the fixed costs, the hourly hobbs rates cover the variable costs.

When we started we should have organized as a 501 c(7) social club, but that wasn't done. So we are a straight 'C' corp. When our planes depreciate out then we may have to pay income tax if we can't get 501c(7) status.

We're the best flying deal in Texas.

Great writing David. As I was reading I could actually place myself flying along with all of you during the "ordeal".

Ha! Thanks for the great story!!
Whew -- didn't think anybody still remembered that trip.:redface:

I have a question about starting a club that none of the "documents" on AOPA or the other sites seems to address... and that is, how do you get your first plane(s)?!
The way we did it in the Michigan Flyers was to start by getting a discounted rental rate from a local FBO while squirelling away as much money as we could. Eventually, we had enough cash to be able to work a lease deal on a single C-150, with a discount rate on other planes. We parleyed the money we made into a lease deal on a second C-150, then a 180 Cherokee. Eventually, we had enough cash to make a down payment on a loan to buy out one of the leased 150's, then another, then a 180 Cherokee (not the leased plane), and after that we were on our own (well, us and the bank).

Ron is exactly right on how we did it. Can you imagine a bunch of students, before credit cards were really around, getting financing from a bank? No way!

So we went to a little sod field a few miles from Ann Arbor. I forget the name, but it had a hump in the runway about 600 feet from the threshold. So in our Cessna 150 with two aboard and no wind, we were treated to two takeoffs for each takeoff. Beat that!

I forget the exact numbers, but we charged $8 an hour wet and paid the little FBO/mechanic less than that. We loved that airport because we got home field advantage. When we challenged our mentally unstable rival Michigan State University to a National Intercollegiate Flying Competition at our home field...their team flew down from East Lansing. Since there planes were based at an airport whose concrete runways were wider than the length of our runway, they were so scared to land. They all missed our entire airport on their first landings. And they didn't do any better on their power -on and power-off landings either. We swept the competition!

Gordon Aviation at the Ann Arbor airport heard about us. Maybe because the Ann Arbor News ran a story about trouncing Michigan State and gave me a call. He wanted our business and financed a lease back for several 150s and that Cherokee 180 Ron mentioned.

I recall one Christmas break taking that 180 with English Bendix (designers of the Apollo moon landing experiments) engineer Gil Alexander and his British friends to Grand Bahama Island. The car rental place refused to rent us a car since we were all under 25. I said...look that plane we flew down here is worth $25,000 and Gordon Aviation financed it. To no avail, they refused to rent us a $5,000 car. We were only able to rent two Honda 50 (50 CC) motorbikes. So one person drove and the other sat on the back and held a bag in each arm. We went back and forth from the airport 4 or five times to move our luggage. The reward was, since it was a British Colony or something or other, if you could get your nickel up on the bar, you get a beer! Since I was under 21, that was a nice reward.

I couldn't cut a good deal with Gordon for the next year, so we moved the club to Willow Run Airport where Ford use to make bombers during World War II. The runways there were about 75 miles long so there went our spot landing skills.

To practice, we went down to Tecumseh Airport about 40 miles south of Ann Arbor. It was a private airport owned by Tecumseh products that made compressors and other stuff. We practiced and practiced and practiced power-on and off spot landings and bomb drops. Things like, what you are NOT suppose to do, if your a bit high...pushing forward to loose altitude and just barely touching as flat as possible at the target line. Dick Hoesli was the pro at that! And I have since learned he became the chief pilot at Kraft Foods. That explains Velveeta? Too much push forward and one enjoyed a nice BOUNCE, but heck this was college competition!

My favorite was the bomb drop. Two barrels were lined up off the side of the runway and we tried to drop two pound sacks of lime and sand into the barrels. Because the Tecumseh people won't appreciate us drawing caulk lines all over the airport, we use team member's cars as markers. And Ron Levy's Triumph was one of them. Either Dick Hoesli was flying and I was the bombardier or the other way around...nevertheless we lined up for the bomb run like we were going to drop the sack right into Ron's car. I can still see Ron running like hell towards his car to move it out of harms way, when we released the bomb and it hit the middle of the runway and exploded in a swath of powder just missing Ron's beloved car and Ron himself. I swear Ron nearly had a heart attack! At least he looked like a scarecrow!

After moving to Willow Run and being reminded of the fun we had on Honda 50's, I bought a Honda 90 (twice the power) to commute to the airport from Ann Arbor to teach my students. One dusk, while returning home at about 26 mph and near the centerline of the road, since the edge was undergoing reconstruction, I arose over a hill and a sawhorse was in the middle of the street. Being the incompetent motorcycle rider that I was, I swerved and caught the sawhorse on the middle finger of my right hand, laid the bike down on its side (like I could control anything at that point) and slid on the concrete for about 33.3 feet. The bubble on my face guard burst as my head came to rest 6 inches from the curb.

Turns out I picked (like I could pick anything) the perfect place to crash. I lay in front of the Dean of Nurses of the University of Michigan Hospitals. She came out to tend to me and transported me to the emergency room. Two doors down was a guy that fixes motorcycles. He dragged my studly 90 CC BIKE to his place and fixed the front wheel that was impersonating a pretzel. And, the best of all, was across the street a personal injury lawyer. He sued the city for putting the sawhorse in the middle of the street! Where even me, with the superb reflexes to even teach Ron Levy how to fly, couldn't miss it at a speed my Honda 90 couldn't reach down hill with a Hurricane behind it! A few years later the city settled and I got enough money ($4,000) to buy my first house financed solely on the middle finger of my right hand! It was fun putting that down on the loan application to answer the question: Where did you get the money for the down payment? Answer: Middle finger of...

Since the trip to Willow Run was so dangerous, I talked to Gordon again and we cut a better deal and took the club back to where it belonged: Ann Arbor Airport. We added a few more planes, I stepped down as president and was on the Board and Ron and others took over, but was involved in supporting the building of an American Supersonic Transport with a group that my aerospace professor and author on propellers Wilbur Nelson asked me to form: a student group called FASST. It stood for "Fly America's SST". See the Time Magazine article at: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,904898-1,00.html

I figured the club was growing so fast we needed America to build an SST so we could buy one. And this was the first time in history that a major aviation advance would be funded outside the Department of Defense.
After the SST was shot down by anti-technology forces, I was encouraged by former SST director Bill Magruder (Chief test pilot on 144 aircraft and "father of the astronauts" and Special Consultant to the President on Science and Technology) to move the group to support science and technology)

So it became Friends of Aerospace Supporting Science and Technology and then Federation of American's Supporting Science and Technology. Versatile acronym it was. One of its purposes was to influence Congress to support alternative energy policies so the nation wasn't as dependent on middle east oil. Lot of good that did! But we did help get Congress to fund the Space Shuttle. Lot of good that did!

The University of Michigan Flyers continued to grow and when I left the Board to focus on FASST, and try to graduate, we had about 25 planes and $5 M in revenues. We did it all with lease-backs and profits while destroying the concept that says: "There is a lot of money in aviation. I know I put it there".

Laughing my ass off..Keep them coming :)

David said:
Either Dick Hoesli was flying and I was the bombardier or the other way around...nevertheless we lined up for the bomb run like we were going to drop the sack right into Ron's car. I can still see Ron running like hell towards his car to move it out of harms way, when we released the bomb and it hit the middle of the runway and exploded in a swath of powder just missing Ron's beloved car and Ron himself. I swear Ron nearly had a heart attack! At least he looked like a scarecrow!

Holy crap. Ron--Come to Gaston's....We need to play this game!

Last edited:
So we went to a little sod field a few miles from Ann Arbor. I forget the name,
McEnnan Airport, underneath the approaches to the Willow Run 05 pair just outside the outer marker -- but, sadly, now merely a footnote in aviation history.

I recall one Christmas break taking that 180 with English Bendix (designers of the Apollo moon landing experiments) engineer Gil Alexander
Who is alive and well and living in Arizona, flying a Grumman Tiger (like me), and active in the AYA (like me).

My favorite was the bomb drop. Two barrels were lined up off the side of the runway and we tried to drop two pound sacks of lime and sand into the barrels. Because the Tecumseh people won't appreciate us drawing caulk lines all over the airport, we use team member's cars as markers. And Ron Levy's Triumph was one of them.
Actually, it was a Fiat ("Fix It Again, Tony") 124, with a sunroof (through which I was sure they were trying to drop), but that doesn't affect the story other than to make the hole through which they needed to drop smaller.

I saw a bunch of names from my memory in this thread....:smilewinkgrin:
I was idly googling the names of small airports in the Ann Arbor
area, where I first soloed, and later instructed, and one of them was
McEnnan, near YIP, when Google gave me this site and thread.
I took a $5 introductory lesson at Gordon Aviation at ARB in late 1971,
leading to lessons and first solo early in 1972 (on the grass runway).
I returned to ARB as a new instructor in 1976 and signed up at the University
of Michigan Flyers, where I accumulated many friends and experiences:rolleyes:
I did know Ron Levy, but was a bit late to have flown with Dave Fradin.
The name rings a bell (several, in fact) as he was studying Aerospace
Engineering, where my father taught for a long time till he retired in the 90s.

harmgb, welcome to the board!

So, what kind of interesting things can you spill on Ron? :)

Oh, the stories I could tell! Actually, I don't have anything
incriminating:p I don't think Ron and I ever flew together....

Too funny. Fiat 124. Wow, I almost bought one of those but even at my young age, I had enough sense not to. :D

Great stories!

Then somehow one of us asked that the lower cowling be removed and we saw right away that 4 bolts on part of the intake manifold were missing. So with normal vibration, the air/fuel mixture was changing and raw gas was shooting out the muffler and igniting, thus producing the seven foot flames Ron was so excited about.

Even back then, it seemed that Levy's laws of aviation:
1. Ron is almost always right
2. If in doubt, see rule 1.

Were in effect.

Great story!

Too funny. Fiat 124. Wow, I almost bought one of those but even at my young age, I had enough sense not to. :D

Great stories!

One of the first disposable automobiles available in America.

My mom had a 124 (Spider), and it did not rust at all.

In fact, other than the fusebox corroding before your eyes and the windshield-wiper motor that could not be made to run consistently and the seat attachment hardware that failed and the exhaust valve that snapped off and made its way through the piston, necessitating a new engine...

...it was a great car.

Fact is, all that and I still have a solid measure of nostalgia for the old beast- it was surely a lot of fun to drive!

My mom had a 124 (Spider), and it did not rust at all.

In fact, other than the fusebox corroding before your eyes and the windshield-wiper motor that could not be made to run consistently and the seat attachment hardware that failed and the exhaust valve that snapped off and made its way through the piston, necessitating a new engine...

...it was a great car.

Fact is, all that and I still have a solid measure of nostalgia for the old beast- it was surely a lot of fun to drive!

I've probably owned 6 or 7 FIATs through their death throes (They were worn out trade in at the car lot that were too shot to resell but you have to allow $300 for to make the deal, you figure it in when you see the car roll up, "How much is the car?" "Are you looking to trade that in?":rofl:) and they've all been pretty dang good, a couple of them good enough I went ahead and fixed em up and sold them. Thing is, you have to drive them like they were meant to be driven. If you don't know how that is, I suggest you go to Rome and hop in a taxi for a demonstration (my mom still has a fear of taxis over 30 years later).

I've probably owned 6 or 7 FIATs through their death throes (They were worn out trade in at the car lot that were too shot to resell but you have to allow $300 for to make the deal, you figure it in when you see the car roll up, "How much is the car?" "Are you looking to trade that in?":rofl:) and they've all been pretty dang good, a couple of them good enough I went ahead and fixed em up and sold them. Thing is, you have to drive them like they were meant to be driven. If you don't know how that is, I suggest you go to Rome and hop in a taxi for a demonstration (my mom still has a fear of taxis over 30 years later).
That's why they never worried about corrosion. They never lasted long enough!:yikes:

Buehler....Buehler....anyone?

Sorry couldn't resist.

Thing is, you have to drive them like they were meant to be driven. If you don't know how that is, I suggest you go to Rome and hop in a taxi for a demonstration (my mom still has a fear of taxis over 30 years later).

How does driving them like a bumper car make them last longer? Or is it the shouting and swearing at other drivers what helps?

Last edited:
How does driving them like a bumper car make them last longer? Or is it the shouting and swearing at other drivers what helps?

More like just beat the living snot out of them. My Jag is like that. If you drive it like grandpa, it has more problems than if you just beat on it.

LoL@ Buehler?......Buehler?
No, my Dad was Harm Buning....(I've been called about every
permutation of 'Buning' one can think of, and I'm sure Dad heard the
same):p
He was not a pilot, but he WAS an aviation enthusiast, and his enthusiasm
affected me, and was a major factor in my decision to fly for a living(?):D

Back