Roll Call - Who's joining their first turbine job soon?

Next year I'm going to do a season on floats here in kodiak. I guarantee I'll be having the most fun ;)

There are two types of people in the world. Those who are airline pilots and those who want to be airline pilots:D

Please, everyone really wants to fly helos for a living. Just so few pilots in the world that actually have the skills to do it. :rofl:

Please, everyone really wants to fly helos for a living. Just so few pilots in the world that actually have the skills to do it. :rofl:
Yes! Flying a helicopter is the most difficult thing I've ever done. Granted I flew a Bell 407 twice but still. I don't know how you guys do it.

I'd *love* to fly helicopters, and am completely jealous of those that do - especially those that make a good living doing it. :)

One day maybe I'll get the add-on. But I have gliders and seaplanes to do first. So many ways to spend money irresponsibly, so little time!

Yes! Flying a helicopter is the most difficult thing I've ever done. Granted I flew a Bell 407 twice but still. I don't know how you guys do it.

Did it have an auto pilot? An expensive (130K) upgrade but helps on long flights in the 407. Of course, it wouldn't do a thing to help you hover though. That's both hands and both feet.

Last edited:
Did it have an auto pilot? An expensive (130K) upgrade but helps on long flights in the 407. Of course, it would do a thing to help you hover though. That's both hands and both feet.
Not sure if the one I flew had auto pilot but I know it was only certified for VFR. The main thing that got me was how little you need to manipulate the controls. It was all wrist action.

I'd *love* to fly helicopters, and am completely jealous of those that do - especially those that make a good living doing it. :)

One day maybe I'll get the add-on. But I have gliders and seaplanes to do first. So many ways to spend money irresponsibly, so little time!

The problem with RW is, to make the big bucks, generally you have to go to undesirable places. At least you guys can move up the ladder, make good money and stay stateside.

To me, it doesn't matter what segment of aviation you're in, if it pays the bills and you have a decent QOL, that's all that matters. Sometimes I get spoiled and think maybe there's something better than being a pilot out there. Nah, not a chance.

And the question does somewhat apply, as I CFI on the side.

The question was "who's joining their first turbine job soon?"

How does that have anything to do with either your day job and how much you make or your CFI on the side gig?

Seems your reading comprehension could use some work.

I have been flying turbine equipment for my business for about 9 years or so, but that doesn't qualify as a job for this thread.

However, about the same time that Jonesy started posting about his experience, I was seriously looking at moving to the 121 world as a second gig. I continue to learn as much as I can about the industry and may make the move at some point.

In the interim, I was asked to become a crew member flying an Embraer Legacy 500 for a private owner. That is the perfect opportunity for me, as it is a great learning experience; is based out of an airport close to home; and is flexible enough for me to run my business, have a life and still get to fly. In addition, there are opportunities to fly other Legacies, as well.

I may very well end up flying for a Regional or other 121 operation in the future, but for right now, I am having a blast doing what I love!

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

The problem with RW is, to make the big bucks, generally you have to go to undesirable places. At least you guys can move up the ladder, make good money and stay stateside.

That is often true. I got my add on and promptly went into business with a friend. We both have summer airplane jobs. We bought a helicopter for a winter project we can share. Hopefully we will make a little money and be able to scratch the RW itch. Going to be interesting :)

Back