Rocky Mountain Light Sport Aircraft Expo 2012

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Yes, that's right, we're doing it again.

When: May 19-20, 2012
Where: Front Range Airport (KFTG)
Times: 8am - 4 pm
Admission: Free!

Seminars & exhibits plus everything else you expect at a flyin. Ok, so avgas isn't that cheap anymore, but FTG still has some of the cheapest around the entire Rocky Mountain area. Never been to Colorado before? Come a day or so earlier (or stay a couple days longer) and get checked out for High Altitude airports and get your certificate at Leadville (highest paved airport in CONUS).

All the details

http://www.rmlsaexpo.com/Rocky_Mountain_Light_Sport_Expo/Home_Page.html

I have the action item to ensure good VFR weather this year!

Last edited:
I'm finally going to be in town for it and you HAVE to go and schedule it for three days after my wife is due!? Sounds like a great time, I hope y'all have wonderful weather and lots of fun.

Ouch... putting the PiperSport in the photos on this year's flyer, isn't that cruel and unusual punishment? :)

Ouch... putting the PiperSport in the photos on this year's flyer, isn't that cruel and unusual punishment? :)

It's still a legit aircraft, just not under the Piper name - it's back to its original name, IIRC.

It's still a legit aircraft, just not under the Piper name - it's back to its original name, IIRC.

Understand... I think I'd find some that were under the current company's name if they have some PR photos of those... probably don't have the "PS" tail numbers on the factory demos anymore. ;)

Why is there Flight Design C4 on that page? It's not an LSA.

P.S. never mind, Flight Design is a signed-up vendor. They must've supplied that pic of their newest project that they want to promote. BTW, I hope they'll have some news on GXng by May. Maybe even a flying example!

P.P.S. Do you think people of Flights Inc. out of KAPA would like to come out? They have the only (rentable) C-162 in Denver area.

Last edited:
Why is there Flight Design C4 on that page? It's not an LSA.

P.S. never mind, Flight Design is a signed-up vendor. They must've supplied that pic of their newest project that they want to promote. BTW, I hope they'll have some news on GXng by May. Maybe even a flying example!

P.P.S. Do you think people of Flights Inc. out of KAPA would like to come out? They have the only (rentable) C-162 in Denver area.

We sent invites to over 100 manufacturers/distributors a couple weeks ago. Now we've started the personal telephone calls.

And, we've had certain avionics vendors call us!

Last edited:
Thinking to self; never ever mention "gross weight" around a pregnant passenger unfamiliar with aviation. ;)

I was thinking about arriving late on Friday, May 18th like last year, but this time we have Sunday activities as well, so I am not sure if overnight from Saturday to Sunday would not work better. Thoughts?

I was thinking about arriving late on Friday, May 18th like last year, but this time we have Sunday activities as well, so I am not sure if overnight from Saturday to Sunday would not work better. Thoughts?

Up to you. We have discount rates at a couple hotels by DIA, altho you may be able to find better on your own. Cars at FTG are cheaper than the ones at DIA, so if you're interested, call FTG and let them know so they'll have more. I just sent the details to the out-of-state exhibitors this past weekend.

More seminars - We are completely booked for 12 seminars (6 perday) in the big conference room. Just got an email from Jeppesen that Julie (Boatman) Filucci that she'll be speaking. Plus, we have a slightly smaller room and are planning a few more - already have 4 additional speakers and possibly 2 more who've offered. Most (if not all) are FAA Wings credit.

Good food, too. No burned pancakes like last year. Or questionable burgers & brats.

I have personally taken the Action Item to ensure decent weather. I am sacrificing Girl Scout Cookies every afternoon to the WeatherGods.

Darn it, this is when I'm going to the other POA fly-in, WINGS, in PHL area. Colorado is just close enough I might have considered going.

Darn it, this is when I'm going to the other POA fly-in, WINGS, in PHL area. Colorado is just close enough I might have considered going.

But but but....we're more fun! And you get to be an Affiliated Colorado POA'er! And we're closer...and we really like to eat well. Plus, I promise you the opportunity to fly in at least 5 different airplanes to add to your logbook.

Besides, Colorado is on the way to Philly, so it's not out of your way, and lots cheaper, too!

But but but....we're more fun! And you get to be an Affiliated Colorado POA'er! And we're closer...and we really like to eat well. Plus, I promise you the opportunity to fly in at least 5 different airplanes to add to your logbook.

Besides, Colorado is on the way to Philly, so it's not out of your way, and lots cheaper, too!

Impossible. I leave on the 17th. But now you have me wanting to check prices. What is the nearest major airport (no I am not flying GA to PHL)

Impossible. I leave on the 17th. But now you have me wanting to check prices. What is the nearest major airport (no I am not flying GA to PHL)

Denver International Airport. DIA, or KDEN to pilots. Or as we refer to it, that airport that gets in the way. Flying out of Oakland or SFO?

$218 OAK-DEN RT on Spirit

Book early on the web for Southwest
$220 SFO or OAK-DEN RT depending on the schedule

Denver International Airport. DIA, or KDEN to pilots. Or as we refer to it, that airport that gets in the way. Flying out of Oakland or SFO?

$218 OAK-DEN RT on Spirit

Book early on the web for Southwest
$220 SFO or OAK-DEN RT depending on the schedule

That is pretty cheap! Next time, OK? Do you have one next year? The earlier I book the more I can save and it sounds like I won't have to take more than a day or two (or none) off work!

Sorry but I spent $500 on a non-refundable ticket due to dragging my feet for the PHL thing (would have been $380 a week earlier, darned prices).

That is pretty cheap! Next time, OK? Do you have one next year? The earlier I book the more I can save and it sounds like I won't have to take more than a day or two (or none) off work!
As you know I buy a lot of DEN-SFO flights. They are usually in the $200-300 range round trip.

Booked a hotel.
Totally going to go La Veta this time.

Flying in the afternoon tomorrow, which is the worst timing actually, since winds pick up. Still thinking that La Veta may be an option though.

Flying in the afternoon tomorrow, which is the worst timing actually, since winds pick up. Still thinking that La Veta may be an option though.

La Veta can be a puzzle. I've gone through high and low. The lowest was with lennies and rotors all about. I figured that with all that activity I didn't want to be up in the middle of it. Some pilgrim was at 15,000 behind me and asking for pireps...

Keep your eyes peeled and think outside the box if conditions are bad.

Winds aloft on Friday are supposed to be not good. Winds from Pueblo north to Denver area gusting to 25.

Stay safe. Take the long way. The LaVeta AWOS (KVTP) isn't always working. I haven't been able to check if it's working today. But it does seem to have its own Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/#!/KVTPawos/statuses/18107873424

From which direction? ;)

On a trip back from PHX a couple of years ago, the Arkansas Valley was gorgeous and Raton and south of PUB were just getting hammered with thunderstorms. The foothills kept it all out of the mountains.

Ya just never know. :)

Keep it shiny side up Pete. Saturday and Sunday the weather looks nicer and nicer so at least the trend is in the right direction if you have to wait a bit somewhere.

I'd come over and say hello but Saturday is slammed and Sunday I'm leaving for Nebraska...

Look at both LaVeta and Mosca. Although only about 14 NM apart, they can be very different when the winds and weather kick in.

Look at both LaVeta and Mosca. Although only about 14 NM apart, they can be very different when the winds and weather kick in.

But Mosca doesn't have AWOS. When I talked to TK a few months ago, he didn't know that it wasn't reporting (TK's in charge of all AWOS in the state). As he pointed out, no way to repair it until the snow melted.

I haven't checked if the LaVeta Pass phone line works.

Looking at the forecast winds, I'd probably stay West as long as I cold. Probably Saliva and down the South Platte.

Looking at the forecast winds, I'd probably stay West as long as I cold. Probably Saliva and down the South Platte.
..although I recall returning from Santa Fe on a high wind day a few years ago. Stayed on the east side of the valley, which turned out to be smooth (and fast due to the upslope lift). On that one we chose LaVeta because it was the one that immediately emptied you out on the plains - or at least quicker than some of the other choices. Plenty of downhill terrain in case of heavy downdrafts on the lee side. We did get tossed around a bit but even with lowering to maneuvering speed had a great groundspeed which got us the heck out of there quickly.

So the real question is... Did he make it?

KAPA went squirrelly on the winds around 2PM.

So the real question is... Did he make it?

KAPA went squirrelly on the winds around 2PM.

Pete & Carlos successfully arrived at FTG late this afternoon. I'm sure he'll be posting a report. Short version - yes, they did come over LaVeta Pass, and they're in a Remos.

And really bumpy.

The two RANS aircraft are stuck in Hays, KS right now due to winds. One of the Pipistrels was flying west and saw ground speed of 35 kts. They went back home.

Probably won't be able to make it tomorrow. Maybe Sunday.

Back