Robo Knees

Just think it through and make sure you are on the right track.

You don't want to make a knee jerk reaction bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I just got back from seeing the knee doc. I'm going to do it. Full replacements. Right knee first. Thank you all for your input here. It really helped me in talking to him. Knowing what questions to ask and in understanding his answers.
Go for it. As others have said, just commit to doing the rehab.

My 84 year old mom just had one done a few weeks ago and did exceptionally well. She needed to stay overnight because she was on anticoagulants and so her rehab was delayed. Also she’s not even close to being physically active but she has stuck with the rehab and done really well, with rare need for pain meds. I was really nervous how she’d do but she’s stubborn enough to do the rehab, which is great.

A friend about 75 had both done at the same time and did well. Again, he was really good with rehab.

Another friend about 60 has had two and has not done rehab consistently. He’s still hurting, years later.

I just got back from seeing the knee doc. I'm going to do it. Full replacements. Right knee first. Thank you all for your input here. It really helped me in talking to him. Knowing what questions to ask and in understanding his answers.

Hey Bob, I had mine done almost twenty years ago and it's still going strong. I've also done the surgery hundreds of times, but before I retired I was using the computer assisted navigation, which is like GPS compared to a compass for precision. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes longer but consistently comes closest to your own anatomy. You'll do well with either technique though.

Doc told me I was too young to do knee surgery. I guess if you're under 60, you have to bear with the pain until it's time?

Hey Bob, I had mine done almost twenty years ago and it's still going strong. I've also done the surgery hundreds of times, but before I retired I was using the computer assisted navigation, which is like GPS compared to a compass for precision. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes longer but consistently comes closest to your own anatomy. You'll do well with either technique though.
I didn’t ask him about the computer thing. I will next time I talk to him but whether or not he does probably won’t change my mind to go with him. While I got ya here let’s talk incisions. I still have the scar from an open knee menisectomy from 40 years ago. He said he would go in there. Said he usually goes in somewhere else. I said why not just go in where you normally do. That sounds like a better idea to me. He said some things about blood flow that I didn’t really get. Whadda ya know about that?

I didn’t ask him about the computer thing. I will next time I talk to him but whether or not he does probably won’t change my mind to go with him. While I got ya here let’s talk incisions. I still have the scar from an open knee menisectomy from 40 years ago. He said he would go in there. Said he usually goes in somewhere else. I said why not just go in where you normally do. That sounds like a better idea to me. He said some things about blood flow that I didn’t really get. Whadda ya know about that?

If the two incisions are too close to each other and the incisions are long enough the skin in between can lose its blood supply from two sides instead of just one, and the skin dies where blood flow is insufficient. That's something you certainly don't want to do when you have a new prosthesis right below it, mostly from the standpoint of infection risk and also in delay in rehab for the knee.

If the two incisions are too close to each other and the incisions are long enough the skin in between can lose its blood supply from two sides instead of just one, and the skin dies where blood flow is insufficient. That's something you certainly don't want to do when you have a new prosthesis right below it, mostly from the standpoint of infection risk and also in delay in rehab for the knee.
Ok, makes sense. Thx

Same with me. Had a torn ACL and Partial tear in the MCL in my right knee from a volleyball injury. 50 years later, the Surgeon traced the scar exactly.

Did it. Right knee, 21 hours ago. Feel pretty damn good and can walk without assistance. I carry the walker, not touching the floor, a couple inches off so I can set it down instantly just in case. So now I'm just hangin' out waiting for the real pain to kick in which they say should be some time today.

You will likely be prescribed PT afterwards. Get a PT who is familiar with TKR therapy. PT after TKR is important to keep adhesions from limiting your range of motion. Comply fully with the PT, and you will likely have an excellent result.

You will likely be prescribed PT afterwards. Get a PT who is familiar with TKR therapy. PT after TKR is important to keep adhesions from limiting your range of motion. Comply fully with the PT, and you will likely have an excellent result.
Yeah. That's already been scheduled. The Ortho clinic that did the Surgery also has in house Rehab. Tomorrow around 11. And a couple times a week scheduled over the next 4 weeks or so. If it goes like the meniscectomies I had, I'll probably go do it myself after a couple of them. All they had me doing was stuff I could do just as easily at home.

Back