Rivian R1S

Don’t put too much faith in the ranges that these manufactures are advertising.Some of these models (especially Tesla) don’t make their EPA ranges. These real world numbers aren’t even in the cold. Go ahead and take off another 15 % if you’ll be around freezing temps.
How much faith do you put in the ranges posted on ICE vehicles? I admit I haven't looked into it lately, but those numbers have historically been mostly ideal numbers, difficult to achieve in real life.

By the time they make an EV minivan the kids will be out of the house. That would've been where we'd go first. Sure we could do the SUV but we like the sliding doors for our kids that don't understand that whipping open doors means you're slamming it into the car parked next to you. :rolleyes:

By the time they make an EV minivan the kids will be out of the house. That would've been where we'd go first. Sure we could do the SUV but we like the sliding doors for our kids that don't understand that whipping open doors means you're slamming it into the car parked next to you. :rolleyes:
Get one of those Tesla's with the gull wings! I've seen youtube videos of them opening easily while parked inches from the car next to it.

I get 450 miles on a tank in my Corolla, averaging 36.5mpg. Running straight gasoline will bump that up closer to 40mpg.

Get one of those Tesla's with the gull wings! I've seen youtube videos of them opening easily while parked inches from the car next to it.
Model X is too rich for my blood. I'd rather have a second plane.

Edited to add: the minivan is also my "truck" for hauling things. Can't do that with a Model X.

How much faith do you put in the ranges posted on ICE vehicles? I admit I haven't looked into it lately, but those numbers have historically been mostly ideal numbers, difficult to achieve in real life.

just an aside: shortly after I bought my gas-electric hybrid Escape, the car's info center was estimating 497 miles remaining on the tank. I made a short trip of about 25 miles and the estimated remaining miles increased to 507. Too bad that trend didn't continue...

MPG ratings are also exaggerated and like EVs, some worse than others. The problem with EVs is, their range is already mediocre. Combine factors of towing, cold temps and poor charging infrastructure, will make for an interesting road trip. That’s where “range anxiety” truly comes into play.
https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-advice/a32603216/ev-range-explained/

You also don’t lose range with your ICE vehicle just sitting there.

Car no go far, battery too small
Lucid Air goes 516 miles. Not sure that's "no go far".
You might as well have stated that in Mandarin to me.
Paragraph #1: falconkidding is wrong.
Paragraph #2: 1-516miles/day=nonstop. 517-816miles/day=one 20 minute refueling stop. 817-1116miles/day=two 20 minute refueling stops. etc

You also don’t lose range with your ICE vehicle just sitting there.
You do when just sitting there (in traffic). At least the steady drain on a parked EV is predictable. Traffic is not, except in places like Atlanta where you can count on traffic being bad all the time.

You do when just sitting there (in traffic). At least the steady drain on a parked EV is predictable. Traffic is not, except in places like Atlanta where you can count on traffic being bad all the time.

Well yeah, obviously with an ICE vehicle sitting it traffic you lose range just like an EV. Difference is, an ICE vehicle will still beat an EV with range in high traffic areas before it needs gas. Then that gas takes 2 minutes vs 30 minutes for an EV to get “gas.”

But, my point wasn’t about sitting while on, it’s sitting while off and not plugged in. If you don’t have access to a charger, EV range loss can be substantial. As in this case.

Trucks and SUVs are about as aerodynamic as a brick. If you want a bigger range you need a vehicle the size of a sedan that’s aerodynamic. Something like the Volkswagen XL1.

Attachments

• 4F7EC426-0C03-4DA9-91F8-B179EC07EA06.jpeg
    4F7EC426-0C03-4DA9-91F8-B179EC07EA06.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 15

So, not a good vehicle to have in Fairbanks, AK during the winter...current temp as of posted time.....-26f

Speaking of, just about all parking spaces in Fairbanks have an outlet for plugging in the car during winter. Tourist, usually from a southern state, would come to town and notice that and ask about that. I would tell them all cars in Fairbanks are electric....

So, not a good vehicle to have in Fairbanks, AK during the winter...current temp as of posted time.....-26f

Speaking of, just about all parking spaces in Fairbanks have an outlet for plugging in the car during winter. Tourist, usually from a southern state, would come to town and notice that and ask about that. I would tell them all cars in Fairbanks are electric....

And it’s not just loss of range and phantom drain in the cold. The charging network is woefully inadequate to handle the cold. Not mention, even with a preconditioned battery, the charging rates are slow. That’s why when I hear Hyundai bragging about 10% to 80% in 18 minutes I laugh. That’s best case scenario. Real life you’re not gonna get that.

I was between two Rivians yesterday while leaving the mountain. They seemed to be doing fine in these conditions.
Snow road.jpg

And yet perfectly adequate for many drivers for their particular use cases.

Right, nobody is arguing that EV's don't have their place. They just aren't the all encompassing panacea that passionate devotees claim.

They could be, eventually. And they might be. But we're not there yet.

Right, nobody is arguing that EV's don't have their place. They just aren't the all encompassing panacea that passionate devotees claim.

They could be, eventually. And they might be. But we're not there yet.
Yeah, but . . .
Nobody says they are an all encompassing panacea. There is also no ICE vehicle that is an all encompassing panacea.

EVs have their place. But that "place" is getting bigger and bigger all the time. EV's already beat the shlt out of ICE vehicles in many ways. In time, those ways will grow. Whether it is EVs or Hydrogen, fossil fueled vehicles will go the way of the dinosaurs. (See what I did there?)

My record for a tank on the Jetta was 715 miles. That was all highway and hypermileing, though. It would go a long way, though. Most of my gasoline cars would be around 260 miles between fill ups on daily driving, 300ish on a road trip.

When my Passat TDI was new, I could hypermile over 1,000 miles out of a tank. That takes way too much skill and patience for 12-15 hour drives, but I still get over 800 miles if I keep the speed under 75 (pretty rare, that!) and I usually stop every five hours anyway... I'm getting too old to Ironman those 900 mile drives.

And yet perfectly adequate for many drivers for their particular use cases.

Sure, they’re perfectly adequate for me but I don’t do road trips, live in a cold climate and don’t tow anything.

Back