"Right There on the Tarmac, the Inmates Revolt"

...the waiting area had “chips and pretzels and water,”
Oh yeah, that's just what a bunch of folks want while sitting for six hours. Cheap bastards at CO! :rolleyes:

Man, that is surprising... I typically get very good service from CO, but that's through the Houston hub. I'm going to use this one isolated incident to formulate my opinion that all Texans are just friendlier than all New Yorkers/New Jerseyans :).

Doh - posted in wrong thread. My real response:

Boy, I sure wish I "Got It" so I could explain why airlines don't have the ability to let people off the plane, but somehow, police are always able to enter the plane and get people off....

Must be magic.

i think you responded to another thread nick. i was wondering why that response didnt really make sense.

Man, that is surprising... I typically get very good service from CO, but that's through the Houston hub. I'm going to use this one isolated incident to formulate my opinion that all Texans are just friendlier than all New Yorkers/New Jerseyans :).

Hum, and I'll take from your statement that all Texans need more geography lessons. How does something that takes place in Newark, New Jersey and Baltimore, MARYLAND mean New Yorkers are unfriendly? (Not that they are not unfriendly but I fail to see how to draw this conclusion from the article) :D :goofy:

Last edited:

Boy, I sure wish I "Got It" so I could explain why airlines don't have the ability to let people off the plane, but somehow, police are always able to enter the plane and get people off....

Must be magic.
Not magic. False imprisonment, IMHO. And a cause for action (read: lawsuit.)

Must be magic.

In this case the plane came from Venuzuela. The passengers had to be screened by U.S. Customs and I read that they actually put a seal on the(?) door.

eh Missa, all those people in the northeast are the same :) (J/K!!)

Hum, and I'll take from your statement that all Texans need more geography lessons. How does something that takes place in Newark, New Jersey and Baltimore, MARYLAND mean New Yorkers are unfriendly? (Not that they are not unfriendly but I fail to see how to draw this conclusion from the article)

Well, the fact that this flight was heading to Newark, a Continental hub, I'm going to assume that the crew was Newark-based, and they are what sparked the events in Baltimore by keeping everyone on the plane and not responding to their needs. Yes, Newark is in NJ, but it's only separated from New York by a river. Hell, the reason it's called Newark is because New Jerseyans were too lazy to separate the two words into New York ;). So, no further geography lessons necessary here, but maybe I should take a few lessons to curb my sarcasm... nah, I like it where it is :).

Well, the fact that this flight was heading to Newark, a Continental hub, I'm going to assume that the crew was Newark-based, and they are what sparked the events in Baltimore by keeping everyone on the plane and not responding to their needs. Yes, Newark is in NJ, but it's only separated from New York by a river. Hell, the reason it's called Newark is because New Jerseyans were too lazy to separate the two words into New York ;). So, no further geography lessons necessary here, but maybe I should take a few lessons to curb my sarcasm... nah, I like it where it is :).

Ahh so you just Ass-u-me-ed that the rude people in question came over the river from NJ from NY huh? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

*Sarcasm appreciated and returned*

not necessarily, I just lump New Yorkers and New Jerseyans in the same category... They're all the same. :)

Man, that is surprising... I typically get very good service from CO, but that's through the Houston hub.
I had my worst experience with airline personnel with a Continental gate attendant/ticket collector at Houston's Bush Intercontinental Airport.

Unprofessional, disrespectful and racist pig that made my whole family (4) miss the last available connecting flight of the day to Puerto Vallarta and ruined the start of our vacation.

He was so unjustified in his actions that Continental had to pay for our 2 hours "shopping spree" for clothing (our luggage was already on its way to Puerto Vallarta), lunch, dinner and breakfast, one hotel rooms for Sue and I and one for the (then) kids. We also had to endure a diarrhea of apologies on the phone.

PJ, understand that TeenDoc visaully appears to be Caribe in heritage. I appear Oriental.

There is a difference. some years ago, when the Penobscot river ovflowed its banks and flooded the Maine National Bank vault, My Anglo appearing wife was told to go to the Post office and get a new passport. I was told to go to Boston (day off of work) and present myself for new passport. There I was, with original Birth Certificate, DD214, etc...

Damage was sactually WORSE to my wife's passport. Racism is alive and well in the USA, and it isn't even that subtle all the time. This is about what American Muslims complain, even as they turn in the radicals from the mosque to FBI. It's REAL.

Like Gilberto, it was an experience on Continetal that provoked my buying my first turbocharged Mooney and kissing the airlines "g'bye mate!"

Must be magic.

We (pilots/FAs) can't let people off the airplane unless there is a gate agent to receive them. Most of the area around the airplane is considered a restricted area and the TSA/FBI/FAA frown upon us letting people walk anywhere past the nose or behind the wing. Gate agents can't let people off the plane unless there are uniformed security personel present for the same reason...the airplane and the entire ramp are extremely strict security areas (SIDA area) and we they can't let people walk around there unesscorted. The Police all have security clearence, so they can access the plane. Once adequate security is present, then people can be let out on the ramp, but even then the TSA and FBI frown upon having people anywhere but in a secured (non-SIDA) area. It's dumb and incredibly inconvenient, but if we let anyone off or they go outside the permitted area it results in a lot of paperwork and requires that we do a FULL security sweep of any a/c they got near before any of them can be moved.
Teller

Bruce, thanks for the clarification. I guess I can't speak to that because, as you can probably tell from my avatar, I'm about as White as they get. My own experience with CO, though, has been with very few exceptions a very positive one and with great service and on-board amenities (read: lunch without having to pay $5 for a box of stale crackers).

We (pilots/FAs) can't let people off the airplane unless there is a gate agent to receive them. Most of the area around the airplane is considered a restricted area and the TSA/FBI/FAA frown upon us letting people walk anywhere past the nose or behind the wing. Gate agents can't let people off the plane unless there are uniformed security personel present for the same reason...the airplane and the entire ramp are extremely strict security areas (SIDA area) and we they can't let people walk around there unesscorted. The Police all have security clearence, so they can access the plane. Once adequate security is present, then people can be let out on the ramp, but even then the TSA and FBI frown upon having people anywhere but in a secured (non-SIDA) area. It's dumb and incredibly inconvenient, but if we let anyone off or they go outside the permitted area it results in a lot of paperwork and requires that we do a FULL security sweep of any a/c they got near before any of them can be moved.
Teller

That is today's story. Last time the excuse was "We don't have the means to get people off the planes. There's no stairs out on Taxiway Bravo!"

The point is that when you've got sick people on a plane, you've got toilets overflowing, and you've got people JAILED for hours FOR ANY REASON, you need to do the right thing and let them off. So what, an additional plane check has to be done. Do what's right.

Edit: also, you'll notice that it seems every time this happens, LE agrees with the passengers.

Last edited:
Racism is alive and well in the USA, and it isn't even that subtle all the time.

Bruce, I've been all over the world, and I'm here to tell you, racism is alive and well throught the world, because it is alive and well in the hearts of men. As long as the population issue continues to get worse, the problem will as well. We breed it and we teach it, in our homes, in our institutions, and in our media. The leaders of our institutions require an enemy with which they can ellicit fear from their constituents to leverage power, influence and ultimately money from. Even those who cry racism the loudest are often guilty of it themselves, it is generally only overcome by an intelligent analysis of reality, and that means only 20% of the population irrespective of race or creed will be capable of the task, and that number will decrease in the current state of reproductive trends, not increase.

Teller

Guess what? We don't give a rat's a**. We don't care that it's a hassle for you, deal with it, that's why they call it a JOB. Get me the F off the plane in a timely fashion, I don't want excuses, I don't want peanuts and crackers. At this point I'm being held against my will. This is going to lead to an ugly showdown one day, you watch, someone will kill some poor FA over this stuff. One nut job with a drop lock from behind, and there goes a broken neck. All the surly FA attitude in the world won't help.

Teller

Echoing Nick and Henning, The Pilots are responsible for teh ultimate safety of the flight and the health of their passenges. If the health of the passenges is at risk due to lack of BASIC sanatation you need to act like the PIC and get the passengers off the plane. If the company will not comply be a big boy and declare an ememgancy and do something.

Missa

Bruce, I've been all over the world, and I'm here to tell you, racism is alive and well throught the world, because it is alive and well in the hearts of men. ...

Staff at Cancun's five-star Hotel Coral Beach appear to have assumed this was another street vendor or beggar, so without asking questions they ordered her to leave. Except the woman was Rigoberta Menchú, the Nobel peace prizewinner, Unesco goodwill ambassador, Guatemalan presidential candidate and figurehead for indigenous rights.
Commentators noted the irony of upmarket resorts discriminating against real Maya while trying to attract tourists with fake Mayan architecture and spectacles.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2150467,00.html

...I guess I can't speak to that because, as you can probably tell from my avatar, I'm about as White as they get...
It's ok PJ, I won't hold that against you. :D

But it's true, you have to be a "minority" to really experience racism directed againt you, to live it and to hate it with all your guts. See, I am not only a Puerto Rican, but a dark skin Puerto Rican. Some of my patients trying to be cordial tell me that I look Mexican and others tell me that I speak with a Dominican accent. So I'm really screwed. :D

Let me tell you all (not just you PJ) about a recent incident and you tell me if racism/prejudice/stereotyping/profiling and any other euphemism we can come up with is alive or not in the US and the world, as Henning just said earlier.

As I walk into one of the amphitheaters of my medical school to give a lecture to senior medical students on "Medico-legal issues in the care of adolescents" I ask one of the students: "Is this amphitheater B?" The student answers back with another question: Are you from housekeeping?

See, that student saw a dark skin Puerto Rican that looks Mexican and speaks with a Dominican accent who can only be good to mop floors.

I know that any job, housekeeping included, is a decent way of earning a living and don't feel superior to housekeepers or anyone. This is just exactly what I experienced and I told it exactly as it was to make my point.

As I walk into one of the amphitheaters of my medical school to give a lecture to senior medical students on "Medico-legal issues in the care of adolescents" I ask one of the students: "Is this amphitheater B?" The student answers back with another question: Are you from housekeeping?...

Wow, Gil, did that student have the moxie to actually sit there through your lecture or did he run away screaming? ...or did you even notice? :p

I'd like to think that if I was nearby during your Continental experience, this white guy would have had the agent wishing he had never been born. :mad:

Last edited:
Were I a physician of Hispanic appearance in an area such as Gil's, I'd be tempted to wear T-shirts with writings on the back like:

"The nice thing about being a physician is I know how to dismember a body in the least messy fashion."

Or, I'd carry a backpack with the end of a leaf blower sticking out.

The more bigoted they are, the more I'd want to mess with them. :yes:

But it's true, you have to be a "minority" to really experience racism directed againt you, to live it and to hate it with all your guts. See, I am not only a Puerto Rican, but a dark skin Puerto Rican. Some of my patients trying to be cordial tell me that I look Mexican and others tell me that I speak with a Dominican accent. So I'm really screwed. :D

Let me tell you all (not just you PJ) about a recent incident and you tell me if racism/prejudice/stereotyping/profiling and any other euphemism we can come up with is alive or not in the US and the world, as Henning just said earlier.

As I walk into one of the amphitheaters of my medical school to give a lecture to senior medical students on "Medico-legal issues in the care of adolescents" I ask one of the students: "Is this amphitheater B?" The student answers back with another question: Are you from housekeeping?

See, that student saw a dark skin Puerto Rican that looks Mexican and speaks with a Dominican accent who can only be good to mop floors.

I know that any job, housekeeping included, is a decent way of earning a living and don't feel superior to housekeepers or anyone. This is just exactly what I experienced and I told it exactly as it was to make my point.

So, what does that student have to do to avoid getting an F in the class?

I can definitely respect tha toil and pain that minorities go through, but I can say that I, too, have personally felt racism (I'm white). At a job, mostly ran and employed by Mexicans (some legal, some illegal, about an even mix), I was singled out as the white guy. I was forced to do the nasty jobs even though my title was the same as everyone else. I was frequently sent home for not working as fast as the others, despite working just as fast and just as hard as everyone else. I was told "These other men have families of 6 or more they have to support, I'm sorry, but of the people here, I'm going to have to send you home."

I wound up quitting the job, and not looking back. That was a bad situation. Combine that with the fact that every job I've had since I've had at least some comments of "Eee - look at the white guy, no?" at some point (I'm experiencing it a bit right now at T-Mobile). It sucks, but I feel I have to put up with it to make sure I can afford to live.

I wound up quitting the job, and not looking back. That was a bad situation. Combine that with the fact that every job I've had since I've had at least some comments of "Eee - look at the white guy, no?" at some point (I'm experiencing it a bit right now at T-Mobile). It sucks, but I feel I have to put up with it to make sure I can afford to live.
Nick, document every little bit of it. Even the slightest remark regardless of who it is or their position; above you or below you. There may come a time you will need this information. Without, it's even more difficult to prove reverse racism and bigotry. Nonetheless, it exist. I've seen it as a courier, in Atlanta... surprise, surprise. The reverse racism here is a larger problem than ever these days.

Martin Luther King preached a man should be measured by the content of his character, not the color of his skin. I guess that never really took hold. I'm more concerned with a man being a skilled and competent surgeon than what color he is. If we ignore and turn away men based on color, then medical practice of today may be in a heap of trouble were it not for a man named Charles Drew.

The farming industry today should have a day to celebrate George Washington Carver. But, that will never happen.

Nick, I've gotta say, there seems to be a bit of irony in the juxtaposition of your complaints and that little bit of rap song you have as your sig line. Just sayin' is all.

The only time I experienced anything like racism was the time my wife and I went off the beaten track in Jamaica. We wandered into a rasta jerk shack and had a seat. The server came up to us and told us "We only serve family here, you can't stay." We looked around and saw we had no family resemblance whatsoever to the rest of the patrons.

The experience stuck with me. Strangely, I'm kinda grateful for it.

Nick, I've gotta say, there seems to be a bit of irony in the juxtaposition of your complaints and that little bit of rap song you have as your sig line. Just sayin' is all.

It is intended to be ironic. That one can get away with saying those things in a song, just because they are of hispanic descent, while someone else saying those things is considered racist.

Like Imus vs. Snoop Dogg. Ok for one, but not the other? Not in my book. So "Lean Like a Cholo" (and in this case, "Lean Like a Chola") is socially acceptable for one, its socially acceptable for all. I am about to change the sig though, only because I've had it there for so long.

While we've gone wildly offtrack, I'll share a bit. I was stuck on a plane a few months ago, and I politely spoke with the FA at about the 90 minute mark. I smiled, asked how ya doin', hope they were having an easy day bouncing around, etc. Just try to soften the FA up for the bad news coming.

Then I explained that at the two hour mark I was going to start leading the revolt by similar means. I figured from what I'd heard from the pax around me that they would be ready to start in on some ribald and offensive singing and stamping until the drivere found his stones and got us to ANY GATE, not just the US Airways gate. You see, almost all the time, there IS a gate available but it may not be the carriers reserved, or leased gate. Now, they can, and occasionally do borrow or rent a gate from another carrier, but it can be expensive.

Well, the FA got a kind of stoney look, and warned me 'interfering with -- federal offence -- yada yada'. I said it will all be passive, and no one will interfere with you or anyone else, but it will get very uncomfortable in here. I also know she was old enough to understand the repeated chant of "ATTICA, ATTICA!".

Apparently a few other pax did something too, and a few minutes later we went to a competitors gate(don't recall which) and were let off.

As for racism, it's in our genes, and it's not going away as as long as there are different colors, features, and cultures. I'm as white as can be, and I've experienced it. My wife is SE Asian and we've seen it all over the world. Who among us is not guilty at some time?

There was a cute story about a new freshman student at Princeton back in the day. He was walking along the grounds in October as the leaves were coming down. Passed a rumpled old man with white hair standing under a tree, next to a pile of leaves and a rake. He said 'better get busy fellow'(or something like that) and kept going. Then, in a bolt of clarity he went back and apologized to Dr Albert Einstein, who, apparently found the encounter very amusing.

Guess what? We don't give a rat's a**. We don't care that it's a hassle for you, deal with it, that's why they call it a JOB. Get me the F off the plane in a timely fashion, I don't want excuses, I don't want peanuts and crackers. At this point I'm being held against my will. This is going to lead to an ugly showdown one day, you watch, someone will kill some poor FA over this stuff. One nut job with a drop lock from behind, and there goes a broken neck. All the surly FA attitude in the world won't help.

I recommend that you drive.

While we've gone wildly offtrack, I'll share a bit. I was stuck on a plane a few months ago, and I politely spoke with the FA at about the 90 minute mark. I smiled, asked how ya doin', hope they were having an easy day bouncing around, etc. Just try to soften the FA up for the bad news coming.

Then I explained that at the two hour mark I was going to start leading the revolt by similar means. I figured from what I'd heard from the pax around me that they would be ready to start in on some ribald and offensive singing and stamping until the drivere found his stones and got us to ANY GATE, not just the US Airways gate. You see, almost all the time, there IS a gate available but it may not be the carriers reserved, or leased gate. Now, they can, and occasionally do borrow or rent a gate from another carrier, but it can be expensive.

This is completely incorrect. The ability to use another airlines gate is not decided by the local airline employees. It normally only happens when the airport management needs to do some sort of maintenance either to the jetway or ramp area and access to a gate will not be available. These decisions are also not made in any way by the flight crew. Being a GA pilot teaches you how to fly and how the traffic system works but does not make you an expert in airline operations. I always like the guy who is mad about a delay and then after an explanation of the situation snidely remarks, "I get it, I am a pilot." Not to mention, everyone has been stuck in a traffic jam on the interstate or freeway at some point. Sometimes you may not move for hours. You have no where to go, is it your fault? Do you sue the person that had the wreck? Things happen, if you don't like the possibility of a delay on an airplane then driving is always an option. I am not suggesting that I don't appreciate the passenger/customer as it is their patronage that allows me to fly for a living. Just patience and understanding is appreciated. Thousands of flights depart on-time and arrive on-time every day. Where is the article explaining how such a complex system and logistic nightmare normally works perfectly?

I recommend that you drive.

Why? I should give up the basic human rights guaranteed me in the constitution because someone can't manage to deal with the hassle of the responsibility that comes with their job? Flying for an airline is not about flying, it is about responsibility to your passengers. The freakin plane flys, does nearly all the aviating in all but a few cases. The Pilots are there to be MANAGERS. Not only do they manage the systems of the aircraft, they are the ones held accountable for the welfare of their PASSENGERS. They have to stand up to ground based management. IMHO, it's time to bring back airline regulation. While the Deregulated system lowered ticket prices, executive management of the companies in most cases has proved incapable of making proper use of the latitude deregulation has provided them and has made the Air Carrier system a mess.

When exactly in the process of daring to take a trip on a commerical airliner do you surrender your civil rights? At what point do you lose the right to go where you want, like back home or another form of transportation?

Could they put up signs, maybe right at the terminal entrance with a warning like Miranda:
You are advised that once you cross this point you surrender your right to personal property, personal privacy, free speech, and freedom to travel at will.

Do you understand these conditions as have been explained to you?
:mad:

This is completely incorrect. The ability to use another airlines gate is not decided by the local airline employees. It normally only happens when the airport management needs to do some sort of maintenance either to the jetway or ramp area and access to a gate will not be available. These decisions are also not made in any way by the flight crew. Being a GA pilot teaches you how to fly and how the traffic system works but does not make you an expert in airline operations. I always like the guy who is mad about a delay and then after an explanation of the situation snidely remarks, "I get it, I am a pilot." Not to mention, everyone has been stuck in a traffic jam on the interstate or freeway at some point. Sometimes you may not move for hours. You have no where to go, is it your fault? Do you sue the person that had the wreck? Things happen, if you don't like the possibility of a delay on an airplane then driving is always an option. I am not suggesting that I don't appreciate the passenger/customer as it is their patronage that allows me to fly for a living. Just patience and understanding is appreciated. Thousands of flights depart on-time and arrive on-time every day. Where is the article explaining how such a complex system and logistic nightmare normally works perfectly?

Wow, you really have all the answers don't you? So, answer why the US airways flt 1644 at PHX on April 17th at around 2 in the afternoon was let off at a competitors gate? Where did I make any mention of my status as a plane driver? Where did I bring up anything about DRIVING? for cripes sakes. But, since you brought it up, if I'm stuck in a traffic jam for 90 minutes I have the option of getting out of my car, and walking away to get a cab, bus, bike, train, GA plane and let them tow my car. I won't get arrested - will I? Suppose I got up from the US airways flight and opened the door and hopped out? Arrested - you bet.

And, I don't give a wet, dribbly **** who decides on gate assignment. If US Airways call the ops mgr and says 'I need a gate now' he makes it happen. I am certain that any carrier can ask another competitor to use a gate, it's done from time to time when a carrier has to make a tight connection to one of it's outbound flights. I was on a flight last year at SFO where the pilot came on the intercom and told us that exact statement, they were using a competitors gate because all the United gates were locked up for a while, and many pax had to connect to intl flights over the ocean.

I am not an expert on airline travel, although I did work for AA in Ft Worth in operations for a while, each carrier and airport is a bit different. If you are the expert, 'splain how it's done so that pax get off the plane in a timely way.

There's a business to be built here....in the bed of a lifting box catering truck....

The COMPLETE airconditioned bathroom, which comes up to the door, seals up against the companionway....drives off to the septic connection....

There's a business to be built here....in the bed of a lifting box catering truck....

The COMPLETE airconditioned bathroom, which comes up to the door, seals up against the companionway....drives off to the septic connection....
I don't know who would make such a crappy investment. However, it seems viable given the number of times these events seem to take place these days.

Back