Right plane for my mission?

Best advice on the thread. Join the type clubs, but don't ask them if their planes are better than the other. Beg, borrow, or steal a ride in the different models. Take your wife. Sit in the front and in the back. As someone else said, every plane is a compromise.

Other planes you may be interested in: Cherokee 6, TB-20 (maybe a stretch at 90K)

Fly 'em all, and then buy the one your wife likes best.

Really.

All those planes will do about the same job for your mission, and beyond that it's all subjective. Since you're not going to have a happy life if you buy a plane your wife doesn't like for those trips, take her out for a ride in each type and make her inputs a major part of your decision.

Best advice on the thread. Join the type clubs, but don't ask them if their planes are better than the other. Beg, borrow, or steal a ride in the different models. Take your wife. Sit in the front and in the back. As someone else said, every plane is a compromise.

Other planes you may be interested in: Cherokee 6, TB-20 (maybe a stretch at 90K)

I actually was looking at the 6 and Lance for a bit but was underwhelmed from what I saw online compared to the comanche. Plus insurance is higher for more seats, correct?

I'm working on getting flights in all of these already! :D

Now for something completely different.

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/for-sale/aircraft/by-make/Commander

http://www.commander.org/Bergcom/Tech/Documents/Commander FAQ.pdf

When I hear someone who is well over 6' and over 200lbs, I think larger cabin. Sure, some of them fit in the smaller GA planes but this might be worth thinking about. Like the Bonanza(which is my first choice), you get a lot of plane for your money. I think because they aren't well known. But the 112 rigged right will do just fine, although not quite as fast as the Bo, it might be a bunch more comfy on mile 400-500 of the typical trip. I picked the Bo over the Mooney just because I didn't care for the size of the Mooney and I'm not a large guy.

I actually was looking at the 6 and Lance for a bit but was underwhelmed from what I saw online compared to the comanche. Plus insurance is higher for more seats, correct?

The Comanche looks like it is going fast just parked on the ramp.

There are two good online communities for Comanches. There is the International Comanche Society for members. There is also this one that actually gets quite a bit more traffic and is free.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/comanches/start

You can get any questions answered and probably find a ride too.

I have an S35 Bonanza and my Father in Law has a 260B Comanche. I think the word is out enough on the S35 that I don't have to brag it up constantly even though I don't understand why everybody doesn't want one, but regarding the 260B I can't say enough good. His is highly modded out since he has owned it about 35 years now. I know many, okay all reading this won't believe this but when we go on long trips together we cruise the same speed on almost the same fuel, and I'm not going easy to do so. My cruise setting is always the same, full throttle and 2,300 rpm running 12.4 gph LOP which is 65% power. This gets 166-168 knots and he can match it on a similar burn or slightly less. I have argued this with non believers, especially those flying twin Comanches who need this to be false for some reason. But as God is my witness the 260B Comanche can be made to haul the mail and has larger fuel tanks than my S35 so he can go farther. His useful load is about 22 lbs. more than mine and he has no CG concerns. It's the real deal. We also had a 260C in the family, but while it is more desirable was not the airplane the B is. The cowl on the C restricts mods that can make the Comanches more efficient. Other than that it was a nice plane and more refined in the stock form. When both the B and the C were stock with the exception of tips the B was faster at similar weights, but the C carried about 100 lbs more if needed. Go figure...

By the way, there is a 65 260 owned by somebody who frequents this board that is sitting at my home field with a for sale sign on the prop. It's a beauty from afar, I've never seen it up close, nor have I met the owner. It looks like a such a nice airplane that I'd look at it if I was in the market.

I have an S35 Bonanza and my Father in Law has a 260B Comanche. I think the word is out enough on the S35 that I don't have to brag it up constantly even though I don't understand why everybody doesn't want one, but regarding the 260B I can't say enough good. His is highly modded out since he has owned it about 35 years now. I know many, okay all reading this won't believe this but when we go on long trips together we cruise the same speed on almost the same fuel, and I'm not going easy to do so. My cruise setting is always the same, full throttle and 2,300 rpm running 12.4 gph LOP which is 65% power. This gets 166-168 knots and he can match it on a similar burn or slightly less. I have argued this with non believers, especially those flying twin Comanches who need this to be false for some reason. But as God is my witness the 260B Comanche can be made to haul the mail and has larger fuel tanks than my S35 so he can go farther. His useful load is about 22 lbs. more than mine and he has no CG concerns. It's the real deal. We also had a 260C in the family, but while it is more desirable was not the airplane the B is. The cowl on the C restricts mods that can make the Comanches more efficient. Other than that it was a nice plane and more refined in the stock form. When both the B and the C were stock with the exception of tips the B was faster at similar weights, but the C carried about 100 lbs more if needed. Go figure...

By the way, there is a 65 260 owned by somebody who frequents this board that is sitting at my home field with a for sale sign on the prop. It's a beauty from afar, I've never seen it up close, nor have I met the owner. It looks like a such a nice airplane that I'd look at it if I was in the market.

I am not sure why Twin Comanche owners would have a problem with the B model being fast. It is the fastest of the singles at gross and with the same fuel burn.

I haven't raced head to head, though I have more Bo time than Comanche time, but it is my impression that the Bo is faster down low, but the same or slightly slower at higher altitudes like 12K. Add tip tanks and you could fly a 260B from RHV (San Jose) to Wichita non-stop. I know. I have done it in my PA-30, and if the twin can do that range, then so can the single with the same amount of fuel on board.

Kristen I think you are right about the wing on the Comanche at altitude having the edge.

I flew an Archer last weekend and it was painfully slow and wildly underpowered. Took me forever to get to 8.5k, and took an enormous takeoff roll for 2 pax and full tanks.

That shouldn't be- what was the density altitude? Were you at gross?

You need to go EAB Jakl. Preferably a Velocity. :D

An SE or an LW will fit your bill just fine except for the 4 adult requirement. I think you'll find that if you're looking to fly 4 adults, a Bo or a 182RG will fit the bill but no way you'll be able to put full fuel and bags with that.

Plenty of Velocitys for sale right now and an SE or LW with retracts will get you some serious performance. Over 1,000 mile range, 1000 lb useful load, 170 kt cruise, and a strong 6 G airframe. Obviously it'll look better than any of the aircraft you listed as well. Not to mention cheaper to operate annually.

+1 on the Velocity. Great speed on 10 gph, great factory support, no stall and great useful load. The wife seems ok with an experimental, so take a look. Great flyer, looks beautiful and a joy to own. That said, it does take a pave runway.

Back