Ridiculous Security Procedures?

Sounds like this is not an uncommon policy, although at my home base in Wisconsin we have 24h coverage. After hours, the only access to the ramp would otherwise be through the terminal building, which would be secured and closed.

These policies do protect the tenants and their planes that are based on the field, and can help to prevent anyone off the street from getting access to planes that are otherwise unattended. It's not all bad. Ask anyone who's had their plane vandalized or broken into, and see what their opinion is on having beefed up security and limited access.
I've had serious vandalism to my airplane when it was inside a locked FBO maintenance hangar and I'm still very opposed to many of the "security" mandates at GA airports, especially the ones without airline service. A fence might deter kids looking for an easy target but anyone who wants to can get through, under, or over any airport fence I've ever seen. Now if you put in land mines, armed patrols with dogs, infrared cameras and motion detectors you might make an airport significantly more secure but anything less, especially at an unattended field is pure illusionary security theater.

The news today had yet another article complaining that the FREIGHT that flies on all Commercial Airlines still isn't being fully screened, in fact there's a program (you know, government needs its programs...) that allows for the less likely sizes of parcels to bypass screening altogether.

There's not a "terrorist" on the planet who doesn't know this, of course... but the "public" still thinks the government has taken care of the problem and all airliners are safe from harm.

Meanwhile, DHS is out "securing" small airports from "terrorists".

It's all such a huge farce. Sooner or later, it'll blow up (probably quite literally) in the faces of the powers-that-be at that time, and they'll blame it all on "mismanagement" by the previous politicians... you know, that "other" Party who will swap seats with us next election...

The news today had yet another article complaining that the FREIGHT that flies on all Commercial Airlines still isn't being fully screened, in fact there's a program (you know, government needs its programs...) that allows for the less likely sizes of parcels to bypass screening altogether.

There's not a "terrorist" on the planet who doesn't know this, of course... but the "public" still thinks the government has taken care of the problem and all airliners are safe from harm.
The problem is that there is no guarantee that if you ship some freight that it will end up on a passenger plane. Much better to bring something in directly via the unscreened catering truck operated by your unscreened personnel - then you can control where it ends up. (Assuming, of course, that one were inclined to be a terrorist.)

The problem is that there is no guarantee that if you ship some freight that it will end up on a passenger plane. Much better to bring something in directly via the unscreened catering truck operated by your unscreened personnel - then you can control where it ends up. (Assuming, of course, that one were inclined to be a terrorist.)

70 tons of airplane raining down on a city is 70 tons of airplane raining down on a city. It's not the body count or the impact site that's important...the restrictions on GA such as a dinky 2 seat Cessna 150 that can barely break out a window is proof of that.

The people who are buddies had a big oopsie with airliners and buildings and they're not going to be blaming each other. They need a third party scape goat and that is GA. Yea yea yea, someone might possibly go break out a window somewhere with a GA plane. If GA is so much of a risk and so effective, then why aren't the terrorists using them every single day of the week all over the world? Even the terrorists know that a GA plane is useless as a weapon. Someone might also flatten a shopping mall during christmas shopping season with a couple semi-trucks full of OKC uhaul kablooey type stuff too but no one is restricting those things now are they?

This whole GA scapegoat thing is prime material for the Keystone Cops.

70 tons of airplane raining down on a city is 70 tons of airplane raining down on a city. It's not the body count or the impact site that's important...the restrictions on GA such as a dinky 2 seat Cessna 150 that can barely break out a window is proof of that.

The people who are buddies had a big oopsie with airliners and buildings and they're not going to be blaming each other. They need a third party scape goat and that is GA. Yea yea yea, someone might possibly go break out a window somewhere with a GA plane. If GA is so much of a risk and so effective, then why aren't the terrorists using them every single day of the week all over the world? Even the terrorists know that a GA plane is useless as a weapon. Someone might also flatten a shopping mall during christmas shopping season with a couple semi-trucks full of OKC uhaul kablooey type stuff too but no one is restricting those things now are they?

This whole GA scapegoat thing is prime material for the Keystone Cops.
It was a 172 in the Jan. 5 attack. And it damaged a desk in addition to breaking the window.

The Cessna 150 attack on the White House damaged the landscaping.

In the Austin Texas attack, the guy loaded drums of fuel in his Cherokee and managed to kill someone.

In an attack on the ex wife's house, sadly, the pilot brought his daughter along. No one on the ground was hurt. (I don't recall when / where).

Average: 0.25 ground fatalities per suicide attack . If you want to count the guys daughter, that brings the average to 0.5 victim fatalities per suicide attack. You could do better with a bow and arrow. Or your car.

And, not one of these would have been prevented by the security measures discussed in this thread.

A coordinated backhoe attack on various long-haul fiber optic routes would be more effective "terrorism" these days.

Everyone thought it was quiet when the airplanes weren't flying. Imagine all the neighbors you'd meet if the Internet were screwed up for a week. ;)

A coordinated backhoe attack on various long-haul fiber optic routes would be more effective "terrorism" these days.

Everyone thought it was quiet when the airplanes weren't flying. Imagine all the neighbors you'd meet if the Internet were screwed up for a week. ;)

You mean we'd all have to be human, neighborly, and not hide behind ridiculous loony avatars?

You mean we'd all have to be human, neighborly, and not hide behind ridiculous loony avatars?

We... don't have to hide behind ridiculous loony avatars... right now. ;)

Here on PoA, I actually know most folks real first names other than a rare few who are truly hiding from themselves for whatever reasons.

If you're scared of someone reading your words online and it having some negative affect on your "real" life, that's kinda sad.

A split online/offline life, isn't really worth it. Not to me, anyway.

I'm Nate and we can chat here, or at the airport, or over coffee, or over the intercom in my plane, and I'm the same guy. I don't need to be anybody else.

Lots of people spend considerable energy being multiple people in different parts of their lives.

It's actually somewhat refreshing that one of the group's cultural values seems to be in-person get-togethers.

The countdown timers until the next chance to see people in person again, are prominently displayed at the top-center of the first page of PoA. (So is a really old announcement about a change to the Board or something not normally dead-center as the Welcome page to a website, taking up the prime eyeball real-eatate, but okay... nothing's perfect! Heh heh.)

Or as a favorite band puts it in their lyrics... about people who are always trying to be someone other than themselves... specifically the chorus...

(I can't help but smile and sing along... by the way...)

Change Your Mind
By: Sister Hazel

Hey, Hey
Did you ever think
There might be another way
To just feel better,
Just feel better about today

Oh no-
If you never want to have
To turn and go away
You might feel better,
Might feel better if you stay

Pre-chorus
Yeah yeah
I bet you haven't heard
A word I've said
Yeah yeah
If you've had enough
Of all your tryin'
Just give up
The state of mind you're in

Chorus

If you want to be somebody else,
If you're tired of fighting battles with yourself
If you want to be somebody else
Change your mind...

Hey hey-
Have you ever danced in the rain
Or thanked the sun
Just for shining- just for shining
Or the sea?
Oh no- take it all in
The world's a show
And yeah, you look much better,
Look much better when you glow

Pre-chorus/chorus

Hey hey-
what ya say
We both go and seize the day
'cause what's your hurry
what's your hurry anyway

Pre-chorus/chorus

It's actually somewhat refreshing that one of the group's cultural values seems to be in-person get-togethers.

The countdown timers until the next chance to see people in person again, are prominently displayed at the top-center of the first page of PoA. (So is a really old announcement about a change to the Board or something not normally dead-center as the Welcome page to a website, taking up the prime eyeball real-eatate, but okay... nothing's perfect! Heh heh.)
That reminds me, the count-down timer needs to be modified to include the next get-together, Wings. IIRC, it is May 18 - 20, coinciding once again with my anniversary!

We... don't have to hide behind ridiculous loony avatars... right now. ;)

Here on PoA, I actually know most folks real first names other than a rare few who are truly hiding from themselves for whatever reasons.

If you're scared of someone reading your words online and it having some negative affect on your "real" life, that's kinda sad.

A split online/offline life, isn't really worth it. Not to me, anyway.

I'm Nate and we can chat here, or at the airport, or over coffee, or over the intercom in my plane, and I'm the same guy. I don't need to be anybody else.

Lots of people spend considerable energy being multiple people in different parts of their lives.

Pre-chorus/chorus

Ignore the man behind the curtain..... he is just a pathetic low life contractor from Jackson Hole............

I am the great and wonderful Carnack...:yesnod::yesnod::rofl::rofl::rofl:

errrr.... maybe its ben...:idea::dunno:

Hey Nate, that line of the song regarding "seize the day" .... As in carpe diem"... Out here there are cars with bumper stickers that say. Carpe Mañana. :)

Back