Riddles and Brainteasers

64 is on
83 is off

I'll let everyone think a bit more before explaining why.
64 is thrown 7 times in all, by pilots 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64. So it's left on.
83 is thrown twice because it's prime, by pilots 1 and 83. So it's left off.

64 is thrown 7 times in all, by pilots 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64. So it's left on.
83 is thrown twice because it's prime, by pilots 1 and 83. So it's left off.

So how many lights are on?

Last edited:
I took a simpler approach.
The only pilots that will touch any given switch would be the ones that are factors of the number.
Take light 35
Pilots 1 and 35, and 5 and 7 would throw that switch. Since one of the pair would turn it on and the other off, any number with an even number of factors would be off.
But now look at 36
The factors are 1 and 36, 2 and 18, 3 and 12, 4 and 9, 6 and 6.
Since the sixth pilot would not throw the switch twice, the light would be on.
As you said, only perfect squares have an odd number of factors and they would be the only ones left on.

Yes, that's the basic reason -- every factor is paired with another factor, except for the case where a number is a perfect square. Then one of the factors is paired with itself so the total number of distinct factors is odd.

I never realized that before either -- so I learned something last night. Always good to be learning! :)

Yes, that's the basic reason -- every factor is paired with another factor, except for the case where a number is a perfect square. Then one of the factors is paired with itself so the total number of distinct factors is odd.

I never realized that before either -- so I learned something last night. Always good to be learning! :)

Would be more tedious to solve if I said there were 37 pilots and 100 lights, no?

Excellent

You're kids birthday party is today. You go to the party supply store in your SUV and pick up a dozen helium balloons. While driving home with the balloons with the windows rolled up a squirle runs out in front of you. You slam on the brakes and screech to a stop.

What do the helium balloons do? Fly to the front of the car? Fly to the back? Stay still?

You're kids birthday party is today. You go to the party supply store in your SUV and pick up a dozen helium balloons. While driving home with the balloons with the windows rolled up a squirle runs out in front of you. You slam on the brakes and screech to a stop.

What do the helium balloons do? Fly to the front of the car? Fly to the back? Stay still?

Fly to the back, crowded out by a horde of eager air rushing forward.

Correct. Btw, this one was a true story. I stopped suddenly and saw all the balloons crash into the back of the SUV. I figured out why and then played the whole way home doing sudden starts and making the balloons fly up to the front seats and then stopping quick and sending them back. Probably not my safest trip home.

: )

Back, gold fish do the same thing in a Pacer when you seal it up, fill it up, dump 300 gold fish in and go drive around with your buddies in scuba gear with the tires ready to explode.:D

Back, gold fish do the same thing in a Pacer when you seal it up, fill it up, dump 300 gold fish in and go drive around with your buddies in scuba gear with the tires ready to explode.:D

:needpics:

For the record, you can also go due south into every adjoining state from Tennessee. Don't believe me? Check out the border with VA and KY

Heres one. The answer will be a lat/long near N044 51.727 W093 14.852 (that's near the Mall of America if you're wondering)

The clue is this:

2Big 4Summer 25joy 0zero 24meadow 8before 0naught

8through+12sunshine 10golden 13bright 20water 7joyous 10swarms+7bright 14lake+22trace

I admit up front I don't know the answer to this one. "Hiawatha" may be a clue. With all the brain power on this forum I figure this should be easy.

Last edited:
Somehow this slipped off page one without an answer. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

OK A quick one while you're working on the Capt's riddle.

Write the number -
eleven thousand, eleven hundred, eleven

Heres one. The answer will be a lat/long near N044 51.727 W093 14.852 (that's near the Mall of America if you're wondering)

The clue is this:

2Big 4Summer 25joy 0zero 24meadow 8before 0naught

8through+12sunshine 10golden 13bright 20water 7joyous 10swarms+7bright 14lake+22trace

I admit up front I don't know the answer to this one. "Hiawatha" may be a clue. With all the brain power on this forum I figure this should be easy.

44 50.720
(4+5)3 14.7(4+5)(4+4)

N 44 50.720 W 93 14.798

44 50.720
(4+5)3 14.7(4+5)(4+4)

N 44 50.720 W 93 14.798

What the? Huh? How'd....Where did? I'm lost.

How'd you do that?

PS, happy 1,000th post everybody!!!!!

Like showing a card trick to a dog.

Maybe if you drew a picture?

Like showing a card trick to a dog.

Maybe if you drew a picture?

It's a simple cypher and the poem is the key.

2Big = what word number is Big in the second line = 4

It's a simple cypher and the poem is the key.

2Big = what word number is Big in the second line = 4

Oh geez! Funny how hard simple things seem when you don't see it. Thanks and sorry.

It's been about a year. Time to dig it up...

A bat and ball cost $1.10. The bat costs one dollar more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

A bat and ball cost $1.10. The bat costs one dollar more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

$1.10

Though I suppose the answer they want is $0.05

I'll buy as many as you have at that price.

A butcher stands 5 foot 10 inches tall and wears size 11 shoes. What does he weigh?

Back