Richard McSpadden talks about the Thunderbirds and Air Safety Institute

Jim Schilling

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyMidwestJim
The Flying Midwest Podcast had the great opportunity to chat with Richard McSpadden. For me, it was a full circle moment. I was stationed at Nellis at the same time McSpadden commanded the Thunderbirds and was given a coin by him.

We talked about his selection and time with the Thunderbirds, and then continued with all things Air Safety Institute.

Hope you’ll check it out.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3...Q&context=spotify:show:3l7f7XPF2WpNKwrNLsHfHB

dd7bafa40af35ba3b9dc3cd39b027ee8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dickie is one of the only guys at AOPA worth a plug nickel. I love his accident analysis videos. We had him talk at the Navion conventions (his father is a long time Navioneer). McSpadden was also one of the main guys facilitating basic med at AOPA.

This was a great episode Jim. I've heard McSpadden on a couple podcasts before, but they never went much beyond his ASI work. I liked the questions you guys asked about his history & time with the Thunderbirds.

Last edited:
This was a great episode Jim. I've heard McSpadden on a couple podcasts before, but they never went much beyond his ASI work. I liked the questions you guys asked about his history time with the Thunderbirds.

Thanks! His command of an elite air demonstration squadron is no small thing either. I enjoyed hearing more about how they operate.

Getting a chance to interview his was a real treat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a video from that movie Downfall where everybody puts their own subtitles over Hitler's rants. One of the Navion guys did Dick Sr. as Hitler planning the formation flight into the Navion convention and he's talking about who will be flying what Navion and one of the aids has to break it to him that his son will be arriving in a TriPacer which leads to a rant about how he can't do that, he was Thunderbird One, for crissakes.

Back