Review: Garmin inReach Explorer+

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
TLDR: Impressed! Rugged. Great Battery Life. Good Screen.
Bonus: They have just dropped about $100 new.

Long Version:

After looking into SOS only solutions vs. SOS with GPS and satellite messaging I decided to buy a Garmin inReach Explorer+. Besides, @Katamarino is proof this thing is solid.

At the time I purchased they were running around $430 new, about $360 refurbished and about $300 used. As I am writing this I checked for the latest prices and I see they are now down to $349 new! So I am guessing something improved is right around the corner.

For those that buy used, I noticed that lots of hunters and snowmobilers like these. Sometimes you find them in sets of 3 or 4. I found mine from a guy who just stopped snowmobiling out in Montana. He was great and had it all reset and ready to go (it was!). I paid $300. I suspect with the new prices at $349 used ones will be available now for closer to $260.

Why the Explorer+ (bigger, with screen) vs the inReach mini (no screen)?

Both can pair with a phone. The Earthmate Bluetooth connected software works great with both for texting and navigation. But I figure if things really go south eventually the phone will die first and with the mini i wouldn't have the bigger map screen. The battery life on the Explorer+ seems awesome. They claim 100hrs and I could see that as I haven't done a test yet that used more than 8% of the battery life. I think the mini is 90hrs so not much different.

This unit feels kinda big. We're used to holding phones in our hands and you will immediately think it is a bit bulky. Its a bit heavy too but when out walking with the dog to test it, it has never bothered me. It comes with this big carabiner clip which seems awkward at first but turns out to be just right. In the plane I just hang it on the all to common Cessna clip by the wing vent.

When set to track points I have it set at 30 seconds. It says it can do that for 3 or 4 weeks! So lots of memory. Without using any phone I can zoom in on he map almost exactly re-trace my footsteps. I think it claims about 30ft accuracy but even walking around my house it seems more accurate than that.

You can add waypoints, etc. But I bought this more for emergency use so no plans for that. When flying I would rather add them to GP or ForeFlight and use that interface.

The compass seems pretty good. Theres a quick calibration process and then its working. So you can be standing still and turn and the compass works...it does not require movement. Although I am sure movement is used to help it out.

Thankfully a standard USB charging port. I see there are more contacts on the bottom - probably for sitting in a charging base.

It looks pretty waterproof so guessing it could withstand a dunking as long as the SOS button cover and charging cover plug are pushed in good.

The messaging seems to work pretty fast. If you are expecting SMS speeds think again. But up here in the flatlands of Minnesota I don't think a outbound or inbound message ever took over 40seconds. In a time of need, along with a SOS this is probably its best feature.

But that feature will come at a cost. I am just doing the basic plan where I get a few messages and no tracking points. I think my plan is $12/month. So about $150 year to be able to send a few messages and free pre-set messages. I figure if I need it and blow by the free message to save my family or myself I will happily pay the overage fee. However if you want to use it more like Katamarino you will probably be paying closer to $40/month.

Finally - flying! Last night I gave it its best test. I did a 30 minute flight. I did lots of 50deg banked turns. I ended with some low level (200agl :)) fast banking and turning over a long nearby lake/swamp with no houses. Fastest groundspeed was about 180mph. Obviously the turns were slower but I also banked as much as I dared.

When i got back only the really sharp turns were clipped a bit. But at 30 second tracking it was to be expected. I figured the high wing would get in the way or maybe having a mix of speeds and turns would cause it to miss a beat - nope. Worked great.

Definitely adding this to the flight bag. Especially for getting outside of the pattern. I could also see bring it along for any hiking and international travel - especially with the family.

Back