Returning to flight instruction

ice_burg

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ice_burg
hi everyone. I had about 18 hours of flight instruction and had to stop back in 2007. I am now ready to start back and would like input on new study materials and videos etc.. Do you guys have any favorites? I used jeppesen back in 07 but am thinking that some videos would be good to use as well.. I appreciate any and all constructive advice! I feel like a complete beginner again.. No trips to the airport yet..this's will be a part 61 endeavor . Trying to get my ducks in a row before going and picking a place to fly from.

Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical knowledge. They are both free online.

Sportys, King, some of the YouTube ones (m0a and BruceAir in particular).

Really though, the best learning tool for me was having the instructor plan a mock check ride or mini XC, then just go out and fly the sequence with CFI in observer/catch mode with a critique after.

King has a good presentation,as well as sportys.

King

You can almost find their entire PPL course on youtube nowadays.

If you go the Sporty's route, hit me up on PM. I have the 'What You Should Know' series I would part with

I have Sporty's Study Buddy app on my Nexus 7 tablet. It keeps me from lugging around big books. Exam4pilots.org is a great little supplement to the Sporty's app.

Thanks for all of the responses! I plan to pick up the latest version of the jeppesen guided flight discovery book and see what I can find online for the videos

Well, This thread is a few weeks old by I thought I would update anyway. I got to go up this past Sunday for 1.2 hours. We reviewed most of my 7 hours of training from 8 years ago with the exception of stalls. Since my last training had been in a Zodiac 601 I had to get familiar with C172 on the fly so to speak. We did three take off and landings as well as covering turns from 10 degrees to 45 degrees as well as trimming for level flight and positive exchange of controls. On a few instances the instructor dirtied up the plane and then gave it back to me with orders to trim it back in line and proceed to slow flight. After being out of a plane for 7 or 8 years I was surprised at how much I remembered. The instructor was very pleased and said next time he will start cover up gauges so I had better memorize my sight pictures quickly. All in all it was a good time. Not what I expected for my first time back up but the CFI said he was impressed. So now i have to get on the ball with my student license / 3rd class medical so I can solo..

Congrats on getting back into the air! I am also taking up flight training again after a short break of 20 some odd years.

Congrats on getting back into the air! I am also taking up flight training again after a short break of 20 some odd years.

Ya know, I slept better that night after my flight than i have in a long time. I was exhausted but in a good way. Flying relaxes me. I look forward to more of it.

Back