Retread Core Value

vontresc

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
vonSegelGoober
So we've switched to retreads for our flying club, and have been pretty happy so far. Now we do have a stack of worn tires, and I was wondering what the core value on a tire is? Trying to see if it is cost effective to send them back to Desser.

8NOVI8d.jpg

I was asking about retread tires, not retread jokes/memes ;-)

I've always wondered where the cores came from considering nobody I know sends theirs in.

No idea what Desser would pay for one though.

Then sell 'em all at once - drive the price back down!

Someone came by my old shop with a basket trailer and picked them all up. I don't think he got a dime for them. But them guys were obviously selling them somewhere. Came once a month or so.

I've always wondered where the cores came from considering nobody I know sends theirs in.

I've wondered the same, where do the cores come from? Seems like I've seen on Desser's and Wikerson's websites that they pay around $5-10 for a core. Definitely costs more to ship than what you get back...

Worthless unless you are close to a retread shop. I talked to the folks at Wilkerson and they will buy GA-sized tires (6.00x6, 5.00x5), but the shipping costs more than the casing value. If you have a pallet of them, you may be able to ship in a cost-effective manner to at least cover your shipping costs. At least that would save you having to pay to recycle them.

Back