Retiree Considering Becoming a CFI

carrollm

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal_Matt
i am approximately a year away from retiring. I will be in my late fifties with approximately 1,000 hours, prmarily in my C-182. I am considering getting my CFI and teaching in retirement, but am wondering if any flight schools would be interested in hiring an older instructor. I really don't need the money, but am concered I will be bored after many years working 50 -plus hour weeks, and teaching would be a good way to keep busy while also feeding my passion for flying. Thoughts from existing CFI's? Does the market need additional CFI's

From the students' perspective, the market needs reliable CFIs who won't teach for just a few months to collect hours and fly off to an ATP job.
You can also be an independent instructor if you choose so. I did my whole primary training with an independent CFI and liked his availability and price (because schools take a big cut out of the CFI's check).

Not related but I admire the CFI and the ones with experience who want to be a CFI. It has to be pretty nerve wracking to go up with some of these students, myself included. In addition of always being on your toes, the flight conditions of training vs. normal cruise flight seem to be a little more intense. Its not for me so I'm very thankful for people like you who want to do it!! Go for it!!

i am approximately a year away from retiring. I will be in my late fifties with approximately 1,000 hours, prmarily in my C-182. I am considering getting my CFI and teaching in retirement, but am wondering if any flight schools would be interested in hiring an older instructor. I really don't need the money, but am concered I will be bored after many years working 50 -plus hour weeks, and teaching would be a good way to keep busy while also feeding my passion for flying. Thoughts from existing CFI's? Does the market need additional CFI's

You are in the drivers seat here. Very employable. Your age is a huge advantage. They aren't going to be worrying as much about you calling in one day and saying "take this job and shove it, the big boys just hired me."

I'm retired and do a little instruction. But, I won't sit around the airport like I've done in the past. Did enough of that. If I get a student so be it. I'm still catching up especially with all the GPS equipment in GA planes now as I was away from instructing for 24 years while at an airline. I think they have better stuff than what I had in the CRJ900 at the airline I flew at!

There appears to be a demand for CFIs, but like someone stated above, working for a flight school they take a cut. Where I do a little instruction they charge $45 and take $15 of that. Independent you charge what the market will bear and keep all of it. There's a bit of an expense keeping current with a CFI Certificate so there's that to consider as well. You should try it, you might enjoy it.

Last edited:

When I retired from the USCG in 1966 I was already instructing on the side. I was working on my CFII and MEL on the GI Bill and was fortunate in that the school where I was training asked me to join their instructor ranks so there was no job hunt involved. It became apparent in a hurry that potential students wanted an older instructor, and my logbooks are full of doctors, lawyers, politicians, educators, etc. No one (to my recollection) ever asked how many hours I had or how long i had been instructing. Go for it.

Bob Gardner

All my instruction has been from CFI's who are retired guys. Some ex-military who enjoy the airtime, some just guys who want to give back to aviation, all were excellent.

I'd think you would have great luck as a CFI in retirement, just find a good school to affiliate yourself with.

Even if you're going to freelance, working for a established school first will help.

From the students' perspective, the market needs reliable CFIs who won't teach for just a few months to collect hours and fly off to an ATP job.
You can also be an independent instructor if you choose so. I did my whole primary training with an independent CFI and liked his availability and price (because schools take a big cut out of the CFI's check).

Very very true - one of the best CFIs around here (Gold Seal certified or whatever) is an old guy...he has like 6500 hours instructing...he is an old Vietnam vet...

Go for it,keeping busy and doing something you like,is the secret to a happy retirement .

I say go for it and good on ya! Like Walt, I don't think I'd have the patience but I admire those who do.

It sounds good to me.

But do it only if you like to teach. Don't do it just because you like to fly.

My #1 CFII was a guy who was an airline A&P, commercial pilot with his own 135 op, and an instructor on the side. He could pick and choose his students, owned a 172 and had access to a 152, and was a guy who loved to teach and see people learn. He got his jollies from seeing light bulbs go off when the student "got it."

If you are that guy, well shoot, go for it.

Carrollm, I suspect there's a few of 55-65 year olds with the same plans. After 25 years of VFR fun flying, I've gone back to flight school with the idea of getting my CFI and double I. I'll probably start out at the local 141 school. They've already said there's a good chance I can start right away as soon as I get my CFI. The CFI I fly with now did the same thing.

Eventually, I'd like to go independent. I'm thinking about getting something like a Cessna 170 and do tailwheel endorsements, flight reviews and IPCs.

I retired last year and have had a couple of folks tell me to get my CFI and instruct. I don't like flying around in the hot hazy bumpy air of the Mid-West, so I have not pursued it, but maybe I might. I can make a lot more money right now (not that I need it) and relieve boredom (definitely needed) by working as a consulting engineer. But, will follow this thread to see other thoughts.

I am a freshly minted (November of 2015) 66 year old rotorcraft, gyroplane certified flight instructor.

I have found great joy in sharing my love of flight with students.

There is something magical about the moment they discover how to manage a particular maneuver that had been challenging them. I find joy in assisting them in achieving that magic moment.

I find it exciting when I see them developing an aviation culture of mitigating flying risks.

If it is not fun with a particular student I will simply stop instructing them.

All of my students so far have brought me nothing but joy and have been willing to work much harder than I did to master the art of flying.

Back