Retaking the written

Grant, do you have a source for that? Or is it just they didn't require a fresh endorsement when you went for the retake? 61.35(a)(1) just says "an endorsement", no mention of a time limit, so I would THINK there isn't one, at first glance. But the endorsement itself is dated, and this sounds like one of those gray areas where different testing centers might be able to have different requirements. If there's any doubt, I'd rather be safe and get a fresh endorsement rather than walk in and have to forfeit my appointment (and probably my $150 as well).

Liz, you've just answered the question yourself when you said "no mention of a time limit.". If there was a limit, it would be stated there.

Yes, but with an expiration date on the endorsement itself it puts a limitation on the endorsement.

Yes, but with an expiration date on the endorsement itself it puts a limitation on the endorsement.
I said the endorsement was dated, meaning there is a date on it, so they can see when it was given. There isn't an expiration date.

Grant, no, I'm not convinced. There are too many other FARs that "really" (according to the Chief Counsel) say something other than what they seem to say in plain English. Your endorsement is also supposed to show that you are "prepared for the knowledge test" (that's from 61.35). Does a two year old endorsement carry any weight there? I'm sorry for being insistent on this, but I'm fed up with bureaucratic idiocy and don't have the time to leave BS details like this to chance. I'll call the testing center ahead of time if W won't give me another endorsement.

An endorsement without an expiration is an endorsement. It's done.

If you had FAILED the written, you'd need a CFI to endorse that they gave you remedial training.

You haven't failed. You show up with the original endorsement, a copy of the results of the previous test, and you re-take.

http://www.catstest.com/html/applicants/faa/instrument_airplane.html
Thanks, Nate.

Liz, here's the relevant part:
Acceptable forms of retest authorization for ALL tests listed above:
  • Original failed, passing, or expired Airman Knowledge Test Report, provided the applicant still has the test report in his or her possession. (If the applicant no longer possesses the original test report, he or she may present an 'expired test/credit' letter issued by the Airmen Certification Branch.)
Retesting policy for ALL tests listed above: An applicant retesting AFTER FAILURE is required to submit the applicable test report indicating failure, along with an endorsement from an authorized instructor who gave the applicant the required additional training, The endorsement must certify the applicant is competent to pass the test. The original failed test report presented as authorization must be retained by the proctor and attached to the applicable sign-in/out log

Thanks Nate and Grant. That's what I needed to be convinced. Sounds like it's CATS policy, so any CATS testing location should honor it.

Thanks Nate and Grant. That's what I needed to be convinced. Sounds like it's CATS policy, so any CATS testing location should honor it.

Mine did. ;)

Just in case the DPE wanted to see the progression, I brought both test result pages to the checkride and explained. He only wanted to see the current one.

Now they're happily filed away in my "Instrument Rating" folder in the filing cabinet.

Can someone please let me know where can i find the list of pilots that need to retake the check ride due to screw up of edward lane please

Can someone please let me know where can i find the list of pilots that need to retake the check ride due to screw up of edward lane please

You joined just to ask that question three times?

You work for a law firm? Do I smell a class action lawsuit coming?

You joined just to ask that question three times?

You work for a law firm? Do I smell a class action lawsuit coming?

Obviously not (IMHO). A lawyer would know how to get the information.

Back