Resume Template Needed for an Airline Pilot

whistleblower

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
whistleblower
Hi all,

My father recently retired from the majors after 37 years. His goal of not working lasted approximately 1 month and he's itching to get back to flying. Currently "bored beyond imagination" is how he put it to me. I'm helping him put together a resume and was hoping one of you had a template I could borrow (and even a cover letter, now that I think about it).

I don't work in aviation and am not exactly sure what parts to highlight. I've found a couple examples online but, again, I figure there has to be someone on here who has a current, crisp resume template. Mind sharing?

You can email it to me directly at zachsay@gmail.com. Or, pm me an email address and I'll reach out to you.

Many thanks in advance, this is super helpful.

Hi all,

My father recently retired from the majors after 37 years. His goal of not working lasted approximately 1 month and he's itching to get back to flying. Currently "bored beyond imagination" is how he put it to me. I'm helping him put together a resume and was hoping one of you had a template I could borrow (and even a cover letter, now that I think about it).

I don't work in aviation and am not exactly sure what parts to highlight. I've found a couple examples online but, again, I figure there has to be someone on here who has a current, crisp resume template. Mind sharing?

You can email it to me directly at zachsay@gmail.com. Or, pm me an email address and I'll reach out to you.

Many thanks in advance, this is super helpful.

Here's the way to write one, I've been using this method since I first started out as a CPL, works well

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=47666

You could always copy this template

5c7f79ab8ae0d7adef57bdb02c810262.jpg

Well, it does grab your attention.

That's the idea. You get one page to grab attention while conveying important information. Remember, the HR person has a stack of these, you want yours to stand out. My company resume (entirely different from my academic CV) had a 100% return rate. Everyone who received it asked for an interview.

Here's the way to write one, I've been using this method since I first started out as a CPL, works well

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=47666

Some good stuff in there.

That's the idea. You get one page to grab attention while conveying important information. Remember, the HR person has a stack of these, you want yours to stand out. My company resume (entirely different from my academic CV) had a 100% return rate. Everyone who received it asked for an interview.

Care to share some of your secrets for success?

Thanks to those who emailed me templates. Very helpful. Best one I've seen had a layout as follows:

Objective
Certificates & Ratings
Flight Time
Experience
Education
Personal

This is echoed by the handful of examples I've found online. Looking for input on the following:

Certificate & Ratings - I want to highlight all of the jets he's flown (and at one point was type-rated in). Is this the section to do that? Also, is it worth specifying left/right seat on the various equipment? Do people list type-ratings in specific jets? They must...

Flight Time - straight forward

Experience - will be short as he's only been with 3 airlines since '78.

I'm still looking for other examples. What other things to point out? I saw one that has "US Passport, unrestricted" on it. Seems kind of odd but maybe there is value to this?Thanks again to all.

Thanks to those who emailed me templates. Very helpful. Best one I've seen had a layout as follows:

Objective
Certificates & Ratings
Flight Time
Experience
Education
Personal

This is echoed by the handful of examples I've found online. Looking for input on the following:

Certificate & Ratings - I want to highlight all of the jets he's flown (and at one point was type-rated in). Is this the section to do that? Also, is it worth specifying left/right seat on the various equipment? Do people list type-ratings in specific jets? They must...

Flight Time - straight forward

Experience - will be short as he's only been with 3 airlines since '78.

I'm still looking for other examples. What other things to point out? I saw one that has "US Passport, unrestricted" on it. Seems kind of odd but maybe there is value to this?Thanks again to all.

Type ratings exist on a pilot certificate forever. Unfortunately, currency is ephemeral.

Bob Gardner

Not sure what an "unrestricted" passport is but it doesn't hurt to mention he has a passport. If he's looking for a corporate pilot job they usually want you to have one. You also didn't mention his medical. That could be listed too.

The flight time can be easily incorporated into the Certificate and Ratings section by doing something similar to the following.

ATP, AMEL - 20,000 Hours Total Time
Boeing 737 Type Rating with 8,000 hours on type
Boeing 757 Type Rating with 6,000 hours on type

Under Experience, I would list special duties or positions he held while at the airlines such as check pilot, safety officer, memberships on any boards or committees such as ASAP, FOQA, etc.

Just some ideas to consider.

Objective
The objective thing is largely dismissed as being passé for any sort of resume. If you're following that template you need to get a new one.

The objective thing is largely dismissed as being passé for any sort of resume. If you're following that template you need to get a new one.

Yes and no. Having a generic objective statement is worthless compared to the specifics that you can put in a cover letter targeted at a specific employer. However, if you are posting a resume online and are interested in a certain type of flying job or other job, an objective statement can't hurt and will reduce the number of emails or phone calls you get regarding positions you have no interest in.

Care to share some of your secrets for success?

I used a landscape page setup with a hand-drawn letterhead splashed across the top (being married to a professional calligrapher has its advantages…). Everything was in columns, with photos interspersed. This was back in the late 90's when it was unusual to be able to print photos on a resume, so it stood out. Images included ones related to my work, but cool nonetheless (everyone liked the lacZ stained mouse embryo, the mouse skeleton not as much).

First page has all the relevant information about my education, qualifications, and skills. The second (and third, fourth and fifth) pages had my publications and other stuff.

The point is not to look professional. Everyone does that. The point is to look like no one else, and professional. My little pony might not cut it, but lots of other things will. Good luck.

In professional aviation this "objective thing" is absolutely standard...you don’t want to be cute with CV in these types of jobs, especially if professional recruiters are involved. These things get about 6 seconds and thats it...they should be clean , to the point , and specific to the job .

In professional aviation this "objective thing" is absolutely standard...you don’t want to be cute with CV in these types of jobs, especially if professional recruiters are involved. These things get about 6 seconds and thats it...they should be clean , to the point , and specific to the job .

Aviation must be behind the times because all professional resume editors have deep-sixed the pointless Objective header in resumes many years ago. It was one of the things I had my resume redlined a by a couple of services that I sent it out for.

First page has all the relevant information about my education, qualifications, and skills. The second (and third, fourth and fifth) pages had my publications and other stuff.
Wow, the general advice for pilot resumes is to keep it to one page. At least that's what I was taught many years ago.

Aviation must be behind the times because all professional resume editors have deep-sixed the pointless Objective header in resumes many years ago. It was one of the things I had my resume redlined a by a couple of services that I sent it out for.

Probably because people were abusing it to spam their resume with buzzwords. If I have a resume come across my desk I want to know why. A single sentence that states which position you're applying for (e.g. "To obtain a first officer position with Delta Airlines") accomplishes this goal without appearing tacky.

Probably because people were abusing it to spam their resume with buzzwords. If I have a resume come across my desk I want to know why. A single sentence that states which position you're applying for (e.g. "To obtain a first officer position with Delta Airlines") accomplishes this goal without appearing tacky.

It makes your resume look dated. Note that your resume first has to get past an HR screener who doesn't give a rats ass how many hours you have or what your aspirations are. The resume has already been binned in the "FO hires" thing by the time anybody reads anything on it. It's tantamount to using a dot matrix printer.

Wow, the general advice for pilot resumes is to keep it to one page. At least that's what I was taught many years ago.

You were taught wrong. You only have one page to get the HR person's attention, that is true. But once attention is won they will likely have a look at what's on page two.

That said, I can't imagine what any pilot would put on page two. Once you've gotten past education and ratings what is there?

You were taught wrong. You only have one page to get the HR person's attention, that is true. But once attention is won they will likely have a look at what's on page two.

That said, I can't imagine what any pilot would put on page two. Once you've gotten past education and ratings what is there?
Hours and relevant experience, but you don't need to write a book. And the person screening your resume does not want to read through many pages.

I don't do resume screening, but I have a general idea what they look at where I work. Does the applicant have the hours and qualifications to meet the customer and insurance requirements, and is that experience relevant.

I do not believe representing ones self as a hoofed animal would be an asset in an aviation resume. There are some obvious medical certification issues at play.

I do not believe representing ones self as a hoofed animal would be an asset in an aviation resume. There are some obvious medical certification issues at play.

:confused: Perhaps this is an instance where a quote would help.

Back