Resume Own Nav...

I think you may be technically correct, although I’m fairly certain I have been “cleared to” a waypoint on my cleared route in circumstances where it was a shortcut, not a new clearance limit. But whether or not my recollection is accurate, that’s an extremely small difference that is subject to an extremely big error on both sides of the mic.

Definitely agree about when they send you to a waypoint that’s not in your route, but that mistake kind of makes the point.
There is no ambiguity. The difference between "cleared to" and "direct to" is clear. The wording in the regulation, AIM, and P/CG is clear. Ask any controller. They will not have any confusion between the two.
The OB podcast guys just talked about this distinction after getting email from a slightly cranky controller who was using "cleared to" + holding instructions for a fix further along the route, and then had pilots turning direct to that fix. This led to a discussion of whether the further clearance past the hold was gone, plus discussion of the best phraseology to tell pilots to hold at the further fix without negating the rest of the clearance. Worth a listen. Sorry I can't provide the exact episode number but I'm pretty sure it was last week.

Cleared direct to XXX, hold as published, expect further clearance at HH:MM.

If fix is on the cleared routing, the rest of the clearance is still valid. And it has everything you need to know if you go NORDO.

I don't think that's correct phraseology. It would be "Cleared to [Fix] via direct. Hold as published. Maintain [altitude]. EFC [time]".

If fix is on the cleared routing, the rest of the clearance is still valid. And it has everything you need to know if you go NORDO.
Yup. You can’t just throw the route beyond the Clearance Limit away. You need to remember what it was because when they clear you beyond the Clearance Limit you are very likely going to get…..

b. Include the following items when issuing clearance beyond a clearance limit:
1. Clearance limit or approach clearance.
2. Route of flight. Specify one of the following:
(a) Complete details of the route (airway, route, course, fix(es), azimuth course, heading, arc, or vector.)
(b) The phrase “via last routing cleared.” Use this phrase only when the most recently issued routing to
the new clearance limit is valid and verbiage will be reduced.
PHRASEOLOGY−
VIA LAST ROUTING CLEARED.

Last edited:
I don't think that's correct phraseology. It would be "Cleared to [Fix] via direct. Hold as published. Maintain [altitude]. EFC [time]".
Yes. The Acronym for Controllers is FRAHE. Fix, Route, Altitude, Holding, Expect. Now if we could just get a big majority of Controllers to do it..........

Back