restoration home page update

Tom, thanks for the update.

I've seen keels on draft boats smaller than that main spar, what fun that must've been jostling the wing into place. How do you ensure the pinked fabric varnished to the metal aileron hinge housing (is that a correct name?) won't delam and create problems?

I'm curious about how the tailwheel is secured inside the fuselage. The post looks almost vertical. Also, how curious that the elevator has two trim tabs.

It sure looks great; again, thanks for the update.

Very nice Tom. Good work.

Wow, you've really had to totally re-build this plane, and your craftsmanship is great. I'm very glad there are people out there like you who have the skill and interest to resotre these old classics. This will be a real treasure when completed.

Thanks, Tom.
I've been looking forward to this update for a long time.
Stunning work, as usual.:yes:

Tom, it has been so much fun to watch from a distance as you have taken this plane from potential, to tantalizingly close to perfection.

Looks to me like you should have plenty of time to have it ready for a long XC by early June!

Tom,

I sure am still interested, looks like you are bringing things together.

One question, how do you get the engine from you horizontal work stand (it looks fixed) into the vertical position? Just a engine hoist and some elbow grease?

Cheers,

-Andrew

I'm definitely still interested!

That's nice. It's really starting to look like an airplane again.

What were they thinking on the carb air box? It looks like they went through a lot of unnecessary trouble to let the air in. Your version looks so much cleaner. You do great work though. The finished box looks like it had never been fooled with.

Nice tailfeathers. The last time I saw those, they were opened up.
What's the deal with the tailwheel? Maybe it's just the picture angle but it looks flat. Speaking of wheels, I remember when you had them in the kitchen oven putting the brake lining in. :yes:

Looks fantastic so far ! Hope you don't have any radium dial instruments' government BS to deal with?!

Last edited:
Got to see the engine in person this past weekend. It shore is purdy! I noticed a bright spot on the engine (case???) and Tom said its where he took the dremel tool and started buffing the thing up. He TRIED to talk me into spending some of my spare time on it. Don't mind doing it TD, but you'll have to house me and supply beer until its done. ;-)

Coming along nicely. I'm really looking forward to seeing it finished and Tom flying it.

DeeG said:
Got to see the engine in person this past weekend. It shore is purdy! I noticed a bright spot on the engine (case???) and Tom said its where he took the dremel tool and started buffing the thing up. He TRIED to talk me into spending some of my spare time on it. Don't mind doing it TD, but you'll have to house me and supply beer until its done. ;-)

I got beer, you got elbow grease?

Yes I'll polish the case, can't leave it with 1 shiney spot.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Just wanted to add this comment.

It occurs to me you are a renaissance man in the respect of the old guilds. You've shaped, welded, and polished metal. You've done your share of woodwork, framing and fine finish. You've cut out and stretched fabric. You've fashioned and rigged the control cables and surfaces. You've torn down and rebuilt the engine. You've prepped and finished all the surfaces with paint, varnish, and ??? You've reupholstered the interior. You've fashioned a new instrument panel and installed those instruments. You've plumbed the fuel lines and completed whatever pressure tests required.

Not said in that is having the proper knowledge of what material to use where and why. Also, when you can reuse a part and when it needs to be tossed and where to improve on the design. As well as the right tool and knowing how to use it and limitations thereof.

Other than your thumb, how much blood do you have into this fine project?

What am I missing?

Richard said:

What am I missing?

The pics that he has posted DO NOT do justice to the plane.

Tom wants it done right. The first time. And he's not willing to 'settle' for something that just looks good.
Tom is an artist. I've seen the plane in person and it is a work of art. When we were up at the hangar the last time (didn't go this past weekend), seeing, touching, (I did wipe up the drool) and just being around the plane about brought tears to my eyes. It is amazing what he has done to this plane. And I'm not sure that anyone else would have spent the time, money (and blood!!) on getting it 'just perfect'. Granted he has access to some of the high tech tools that helped make the parts...the knowledge and skill that he's used is absolutely amazing. Most of us wouldn't either know where to start, or we'd look at a part that needs to be replaced/re-worked, (that is going to be covered forever by fabric) and just just say, what the heck no one is going to see it, and just let it go. Nope. You can tear the fabric off this thing when its done and it will look better than new.
I've seen first hand the patience and effort that has gone into the wood work and the metal work. Epecially the parts that he's made from 'scratch'. The painstaking effort he has made to make this plane 'original' as possible.

And Barb is a saint. She has been so supportive of Tom and so patient. An amazing woman. And she can sew up an interior to look better than factory new as well.

This past weekend, Pete and I dropped in on the Downeys. Tom was working on the speed ring. Looked good to me, except for a couple of minor dings. Nope. Not good enough for tom. He'll probably spend another 20-40 hours welding and scraping and doing whatever it is he does to make it look perfect.

I would NEVER hesitate to fly in an aircraft that TD has worked on and says is good to go. He takes great pride in his craft and is not satisfied with 'just OK'. Its either perfect, or it isn't flying.

And no, he doesn't spend all his spare time working on the plane. I think Barb would shoot him if he did. :)

You will all have to see the plane in person when he gets done with it. Then you will understand why I feel the way I do.

Dee
(BTW TD, tell Barb thanks again for the hospitality! And thanks for dinner!) I have follow up appts at the Fred hutchinson center on the 16th, perhaps we'll have time to stop by again that weekend.

Some of Tom's free time was spent with me either on the phone or by e-mail about the C-170B I was looking to buy last year. He even called me a time or two. His dime. I never said it here, but I really appreciate his freely shared knowledge. Soothing voice too.:)

NC19143 said:
I got beer, you got elbow grease?

Yes I'll polish the case, can't leave it with 1 shiney spot.

If I did not live across the country from Tom, I would be right there learning from him. He is a master at this.

Ken Ibold said:
"Uh-oh, I made a clean spot..."
You know how many projects have been into even more enormous undertakings by one clean spot? Caused by not leaving well enough alone.

Actually, a perfectionist or one who takes immense pride in their work will saboatage their future free time by deliberately (deliberately!) making that one clean spot. The aim then becomes to enlarge that one clean spot until it meets somewhere on the backside; until the entire piece is one big clean spot. Like Hitler's army on the offense, the front lines become larger, the edges of that one clean spot expand outward until they too become as untenable as a losing army's front line. More effort is called upon.

Then the mind begins to think of strategy. If I start another clean spot and another, it will become easier. A flanking action has become the goal; go around the cylinderhead, around that hex bolt. You can mop up after the field has been taken. The spots need to be joined no matter the costs! The one clean spot begins to take a persona, one of the enemy to be conquered. I'll win this, you tell yourself. I'm not stopping until it's done or I've fallen in honor. Defeat is not an option. Never surrender!

Foolishly fomenting this focused fervor, .....later, got to go /2B cont./

"You coming to bed, dear?

No, I'm making one clean spot.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!!

DeeG said:
You will all have to see the plane in person when he gets done with it. Then you will understand why I feel the way I do.

Dee
(BTW TD, tell Barb thanks again for the hospitality! And thanks for dinner!) I have follow up appts at the Fred hutchinson center on the 16th, perhaps we'll have time to stop by again that weekend.

Yer a Sweetie, WE love ya to pieces. :) and you and Pete are welcome in our home any time.

Richard said:
You know how many projects have been into even more enormous undertakings by one clean spot? Caused by not leaving well enough alone.

The syndrom you speak of is known as the "Big hole syndrom" The bigger the hold got the bigger it needed to be.

It started with trying to find a mouse nest, $65K later we found it, along with a few other discrepancies.

Richard said:

The sendrom you speak of is known as the "Big hole sendrom" The bigger the hole got the bigger it needed to be.

It started with trying to find a mouse nest, $65K later we found it, along with a few other discrepancies.

Richard said:
Just wanted to add this comment.

What am I missing?

I do this as a hobby, and it takes less blood than driving home from the Chief's club drunk. (where I'd be with out a Hobby) Every day is a risk, but you can't hole up in bed and hope to get any thing done.

accidents? a busted knuckle once in a while, but who counts

Back