Restaurants...

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
I had long day on Friday, starting with an ophthalmologist appointment -

eye doc appointments when wearing a mask is no fun at all, the machines keep clouding up and we have to stop and clean the lenses over and over again... it's worse than wearing a mask with glasses outside in the winter.... and who thinks that's a good idea? "Well, doc, I it's worse only because the lens is clouded"... Fortunately there was no change in my vision so we could just get a new pair of glasses with the same script as before. -

followed by a meeting and then some work around the house. And I knew it was going to be an early day on Saturday with an 8 AM meeting -

really. Who schedules meetings at 8 AM on Saturday AM when we're all still on Covid time? And ones that we have to wear something other than sweats, no less.

Anyway, I digress. The point is that it was a busy day, an early day the next day, and I had no desire to cook my own dinner. So that meant going out. And I wanted a sit-down meal, not some take-away gut grenade purveyed by Ronnie McD or even the Five Guys.

Because of the limited capacity, many places require reservations. So I dutifully fired up the computer to find a place to eat. First place I checked doesn't seat parties of one - I guess my money isn't green enough - and the second (owned by the same group) only had seating for one after 9:30 PM (but seating for two at 15 minute slots starting at 6 PM). Third place doesn't take ressies. Fourth choice did have seating available for one at the time I wanted, so I made the reservation - and noted their policy of canceling people who showed 15 minutes or more late and a possible fee for cancelation. Duly noted, no I wouldn't be late.

So I show up a couple of minutes before the appointed time, and what happens? You guessed it, the "greeter" cheerily told me that they were "running late tonight, and would I mind waiting for a bit". How long? "We don't know". It then became necessary for a little education to take place about their policies if the customer were late or no-showed and that the whole point of making a reservation was because I really wanted to eat then, not then+however long it took. I also noted that there were a number of tables that were set but no one was sitting at them (and the reply was "but those are four tops and you're one..."

I suppose that a little guilt set in because a manager was summoned, they came to the conclusion that if no one had taken those tables either by reservation or walk-in it was perfectly OK to seat me at one. Which was the correct solution. I got seated only 2 minutes after the appointed time.

After all was said and done, I had a nice meal, was served efficiently, and left a good tip.

Pro tip to restaurants: if you have restrictive late-show/no-show policies, you should make sure you don't make the customer wait that long, or longer, when they are on time.

Rant over.

Does your governor want everyone in a restaurant to wear a mask while chewing.?? And then try to make it a law under the riot act.?? :lol::lol:

The last couple of weekends the local restaurants have been FULL with some having long wait times to get in. Folks are very tired of staying/eating at home.

Hey Bill. When do you suppose the super stupidly begins?

“Would you like seating in vaccinated or un-vaccinated? Would you like our vaccinated chef or the un-vaccinated one?”

LOL LOL LOL. It’s coming.

Wifey went to a (gasp!) choral rehearsal at a hotel this weekend. Literally EVERY attendee was vaccinated or has had Covid. Every single one. Even the director.

They decided to take a group photo at the end.

They all had to put their masks on for show.

Wouldn’t want the Facebook idiots to think they’re all rebels or going to kill us all or something. Hahaha.

Of course they all shared rooms, ate at the restaurant, hung out together, etc... for two days prior to the “official” photo. Half of them flew via airlines to the event and more than half carpooled.

Shhh. Don’t tell the Facebook Karens.

Sometimes it's not the government, it's the people; or maybe the people influence the government. I have had a number of relatives and friends who were reluctant to have anything to do with me even though they are fully vaccinated, because I wasn't. Or maybe it has nothing to do with the vaccine. ;)

People around here are highly scared, compared to what I hear about other places.

Does your governor want everyone in a restaurant to wear a mask while chewing.?? And then try to make it a law under the riot act.?? :lol::lol:

No, none of that nonsense here. Although the Guv is a D, he is also an MD and does have some common sense.

Sometimes it's not the government, it's the people; or maybe the people influence the government. I have had a number of relatives and friends who were reluctant to have anything to do with me even though they are fully vaccinated, because I wasn't. Or maybe it has nothing to do with the vaccine. ;)

People around here are highly scared, compared to what I hear about other places.

The last time I went to the Marin Headlands and Tennessee Beach, it was just bizarre.

Find new friends, relatives. I have some friends that haven’t missed a beat since this began. Others, still refuse to come out and play. I don’t wait for them.
I am running an experiment. I got vaccinated but have not told anyone, even my family. Just looking to see how things play out socially.

The last time I went to the Marin Headlands and Tennessee Beach, it was just bizarre.
Around here, except for the government locations, restaurants, stores are going along fine. but we never really shut down anyway. Hospital has five in the COVID ward, yesterday, down from a couple of dozen. I have pretty much stopped wearing a mask at all. May 1st I am having my mask burning bbq.

Last edited:
May 1st I am having my mask burning bbq.

As long as it isn’t in a burn barrel! LOL

(Reference to the other hilarious thread....)

We’ve been under a burn ban for so many years, I figured out to go over to a volunteer firefighter’s house for the summer bonfire and fireworks.

They even invite the cops. Hahaha.

The last couple of weekends the local restaurants have been FULL with some having long wait times to get in. Folks are very tired of staying/eating at home.

Hey Bill. When do you suppose the super stupidly begins?

“Would you like seating in vaccinated or un-vaccinated? Would you like our vaccinated chef or the un-vaccinated one?”

LOL LOL LOL. It’s coming.

Wifey went to a (gasp!) choral rehearsal at a hotel this weekend. Literally EVERY attendee was vaccinated or has had Covid. Every single one. Even the director.

They decided to take a group photo at the end.

They all had to put their masks on for show.

Wouldn’t want the Facebook idiots to think they’re all rebels or going to kill us all or something. Hahaha.

Of course they all shared rooms, ate at the restaurant, hung out together, etc... for two days prior to the “official” photo. Half of them flew via airlines to the event and more than half carpooled.

Shhh. Don’t tell the Facebook Karens.
How does this apply to the point of the rant below?
Pro tip to restaurants: if you have restrictive late-show/no-show policies, you should make sure you don't make the customer wait that long, or longer, when they are on time.
Restaurants had this sort of thing pre-pandemic. Likewise, companies that have a call-out fee (CATV, water, usually monopolies) arrive late, or never, without telling you, but will happily ding you if you aren't at home.

Find new friends, relatives. I have some friends that haven’t missed a beat since this began. Others, still refuse to come out and play. I don’t wait for them.
I am running an experiment. I got vaccinated but have not told anyone, even my family. Just looking to see how things play out socially.
I don't wait for anyone who doesn't want to do things. I have been doing things all along. I'm always surprised when people say they have been holed up in their houses for a year. Even if you didn't want to be around other people, why would you stay in your house? (unless you had some medical reason that you were unable to get out)

How does this apply to the point of the rant below?

Restaurants had this sort of thing pre-pandemic. Likewise, companies that have a call-out fee (CATV, water, usually monopolies) arrive late, or never, without telling you, but will happily ding you if you aren't at home.

Nothing, other than I doubt Bill needed a reservation anywhere, pre-Covid. Or bothered... pick a seat, any seat. Be right with ya.

Now they’re all scared some Karen will post a photo on social media and some bureaucrat with a clip board will show up. Get out the tape measure — that table is 5’ 8” from the next one. The Covid may now cross the gap. LOL.

There’s already barely any “essentials” who worked throughout who actually give a flip anymore. Only the couch potatoes with WFH jobs had the luxury of pretending to care online while they sent others to take their risks for them.

And as mentioned before, as the vaccination level climbs, less and less of the populace will be playing along.

Probably not immediately obvious but Bill and I have been joking about this silliness coming this year — both here and elsewhere — for a while now.

Probably sometime around last May or so.

I took his post as more of an “Oh boy, here we go...” than a brand new rant.

Context lost by talking about it elsewhere. Heh. Oh well.

All quite predictable. I already have one event where I’ll have to show my vaccination card this fall. November even.

“Papers, please. Just doing my job, sir.”

Predicted that. Not a prediction anymore. It’s reality now.

One of our acquaintances is over on FB right now posting her “I support mandatory vaccinations” silliness. A mutual friend replied, “Yeah, and I support free vacations too.” LOL.

She’s a nice person, but has been beyond freaked out for over a year now. Just how she rolls. Overly emotional about every topic in the “news” for decades now. Quite mentally unprepared for a pandemic.

Just how she’s wired. Probably bought the plastic and duct tape back when they said she should after 9/11, too. LOL.

Same person who’ll tell you to your face that all light aircraft are “unsafe”... “But I might fly in yours, I know you’re a safe pilot.” Heh. We’ve all met em. She probably doesn’t want to hear that I’d tell her 50% plus of the pilots here are better at it than I am.

Same person who’d be soothed by this display at my hotel in MN. And no, I didn’t see any maids with holsters on their hips... LOL. I found it hilarious. Somebody at Hilton corporate actually bought some of these!

Pew pew, we shot the Covid in our hotel. LOL. Great marketing. Too bad you’d need a backpack sprayer sized one for a hotel of their size. Hahaha. Maybe send a dude through all 15 floors with a specially equipped leaf blower powered fogger? LOL. LOL

baf1c9ef9ecbab53b0c32740e58272c9.jpg

Nothing, other than I doubt Bill needed a reservation anywhere, pre-Covid. Or bothered... pick a seat, any seat. Be right with ya.
This stuff did happen pre-covid, I've run into it with the examples I listed, as well as restaurants.

It seems you don't like the restrictions here. You'd probably like a place with no mask or social distance restrictions right now, like the People's Republic of China.

I don't generally disagree with anything thus ranted, however...

To my mind, even a single "great tipper" has to represent less income to both the house and the waitstaff, than 2 basic tippers or even 4 of the stingiest low-tipping Karens. I'd probably deprioritize such a reservation too if I had government-mandated-limits on how many tables I could seat in an evening, and I'd probably be less than excited when they rocked up -- even before they started kvetching. :D

$0.02

I don't generally disagree with anything thus ranted, however...

To my mind, even a single "great tipper" has to represent less income to both the house and the waitstaff, than 2 basic tippers or even 4 of the stingiest low-tipping Karens. I'd probably deprioritize such a reservation too if I had government-mandated-limits on how many tables I could seat in an evening, and I'd probably be less than excited when they rocked up -- even before they started kvetching. :D

$0.02
What about negative tippers?

This stuff did happen pre-covid, I've run into it with the examples I listed, as well as restaurants.

It seems you don't like the restrictions here. You'd probably like a place with no mask or social distance restrictions right now, like the People's Republic of China.

The “stuff”, as in going to places that didn’t even bother with reservations, was EASILY AVOIDABLE pre-Covid.

Nice hyperbole on the China thing. Gaslight much? LOL.

Anyway... where’s “here”? This is the internet.

You might be unaware that there’s all sorts of places that never had or never bothered to enforce said restrictions. If you live in an urban setting that might be a shocker, I know. Restaurants here nearby haven’t ever had reservations ever, and still don’t.

I advocate neither direction. I just laugh at it all. The so called “outdoor dining” buildings in Louis Rossmann videos of Manhattan were truly hilarious.

Haven’t seen any customers in our rural mini grocery store and gas station with masks on for six months now, easy. The staff tosses them back over the ear when a customer walks in but otherwise doesn’t have them on.

Geographically that’s basically what 90% of the State “here” is doing. The cities, different. Dense populations and such. Same with the tourist traps.

Colorado isn’t Denver. Heck I only use the city name in my nickname because most people visiting here wouldn’t know anything else. Fly over State.

The TV cameras mostly stay over there too, so ... what you might see on those isn’t a full picture of reality.

Just counting in my head ... I can think of eight restaurants within our usual comfortable driving distances (an hour round trip, minimum — straight line, no traffic unless a cow is in the road) out here that wouldn’t care in the slightest if you walked in with or without a mask for half a year now, and never take reservations.

They’re probably not the sorts of places city kids seek out for lunch or dinner. Which is fine by us. If you never get out of the rat colony and see real Colorado, we’re all pretty much fine with keeping the masses contained and busy over there. Haha.

Drive west half an hour toward the rat colony from here, the rules change. That’s fine too. Lots of trades people in my neighborhood made a lot of money installing plexiglass. Then came home and threw neighborhood BBQs, went to church, ate out, whatever. Haha.

We’ve been dining out regularly since last June. Both in and out of the rat colony cow town to the west. Mostly not in town, since the locals appreciate the business far far more.

Wife has been exposed to literally thousands of people since the beginning and always was the real numbers threat vector to our household. Turns out, said essential superhero survived Covid by washing her hands. Go figure.

As someone else said, if you have limited seating you’re going to shun small parties. Even if by accident. Just economics. I find that sort of reality math fascinating personally. Always have.

And as @Everskyward said, in some places people are still quite terrified. Numbers wise, in some of those places it’s somewhat justified.

Had to go look. We’re still at just over 100 cases total in the county and two deaths last March of two 70+ year olds.

The disease has been an urban one by the numbers. It’s hard to catch Covid from cows and chickens. Light exposure times in the city in nearly empty restaurants wasn’t much of a risk either.

Exposure in a rural restaurant? Well, there’s six people inside if you count the cook and the two waitresses at lunchtime. Not gonna get too riled up about that.

If you look up our State rules — they’ll appear on the surface to be as strict as anywhere, but in practice, they’ve never been seriously enforced outside of the Denver metro and rich ski towns.

Smaller metros like Colorado Springs, Grand Junction, etc... were always something less than Denver.

Reality vs the Marketing effort. Bring your ski bucks, kids. Those hotels that started it all here are perfectly safe. Heh. They probably have zapper guns like the one in MN says they did. Hahaha. Pew pew!

Probably the largest effect has been an even stronger realization that most of us have no real reason to go to town. Two hours round trip and expensive parking to see a show or mess with jumping through their Covid or ANY other usual city hoops? Keep it. Less interested than ever. Sports? Even less interested.

Now that we’ve done a year without needing to commute to daytime human containers filled with cubicles, I doubt most of us will ever go back. Grew two of our six businesses 20% with the building empty. None of the other four went down. Shocker!

Turns out the city building was, and still is, completely unnecessary for all but about 12 of the staff.

Cant complain about Covid restrictions finally getting that through a few heads.

Be interesting to see if we keep the building — but since half of it is a warehouse, at least that part has some utility. Probably not worth selling now either. They did announce that since nobody is there they’re replacing old carpets and fixing dings in the drywall.

Kinda smells of sale prep to me, or at least making it an option. We’re a few weeks away from moving the rest of the server room stuff out to a data center. Most of that was waiting on Comcast.

So yeah. Whatever. If somebody wants to live where silliness like mandatory reservations happen, go for it. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest. The city mayor ignored his own thanksgiving travel ban request and hopped a flight.

Told us all we needed to know about his sincerity. Not that anybody was surprised really.

Pure entertainment and discussion fodder.

Strangely most of my career has been engineering stuff that allowed people to work from anywhere. Why only one of many companies doing that ate their own dog food and had a mostly remote staff, I’ll never know. But they’ve all got remote staff now! Ha.

The last employer had 80% of staff working from home. Now the current employer is at nearly 97%.

Assuming I care beyond amusement and internet discussion fodder would be a mistake. Maybe slightly concerned that what city kids want is authoritarians to make decisions for them, but I’m pretty sure everyone out here is well practiced at ignoring them.

They’re busy with important press conferences and stuff. God bless em. Keeps them preoccupied and well contained. It’s interesting to watch the masses hang on their every word.

The new tractor has a radio. I actually listened to a couple of their speeches while mowing and grading the driveway. Was honestly, pretty dull stuff. As always.

I listen for juicy fun tidbits like the Governor making colorized charts and levels like those 9/11 terror level charts. I have no idea which color we’re on nor would anybody else out here. Ha. Probably chartreuse or something. Maybe a nice teal.

It’s pretty entertaining how useless it is only 50 miles from where he announces such brilliance.

But truly. Do as you please. Wherever you are. I’m just here for the LOLs.

I’d tune in tomorrow while playing on the tractor during my lunch break and see if the city kids have some new color on their magic bureaucratic safety color wheel, if it wasn’t gonna snow.

I attended my first convention discussing the problems of worldwide urbanization in 1991. Was the major theme of the convention even, back then. Themes were more around the poverty and dependency caused by it than disease vectors, but it was mentioned.

Not like any of this wasn’t predicted or predictable. That conference was 30 years ago.

I’m still waiting on my other prediction. Counterfeit vaccination cards. LOL.

They’ll happen soon too. Watch for the freak out on the news... it’ll be as the kids say... epic fun. LOL.

I wonder if our “I support mandatory vaccinations” friend has considered that’s exactly how you accelerate that behavior... I’m going with, no. LOL.

She’d lose her chit if I pointed that out to her.

Far better she remains her usual level of clueless about human nature, honestly. She thinks people follow rules.

I suspect lots of city folk think everybody out here that they’re hiring for their bathroom and kitchen remodels follow the rules too. Probably best they don’t know either. Heh. They’re content in their TV world — no reason to rap on the glass and startle them.

The “stuff”, as in going to places that didn’t even bother with reservations, was EASILY AVOIDABLE pre-Covid.

Nice hyperbole on the China thing. Gaslight much? LOL.
You didn't read my rather short post. Restaurants did charge if you were late pre-pandemic. If I caught wind of it, I went elsewhere. Such a restaurant probably isn't very good, otherwise they would just give my table to a walk-in and not lose any money. You also missed the part about companies such as plumbers, CATV, internet, water sprinkler repair, and so forth having call-out fees, then arriving late or not showing without notice. They will charge you if you are late, but you suck it if they are late. Again, pre-pandemic. I know stuff happens, and sometimes a prior job has unexpected complications. A simple phone call to allow both parties to reschedule is all that is needed.
To add to it, most FBOs will properly charge you for the plane rental if you are a no-show other than weather or sickness. But there is no recourse if they forget to tell you the plane is in a scheduled annual, and they forgot to take it off FlightSchedule Pro, and there isn't another type I'm rated to fly available. Or their instructor went too long with a lesson. Both have happened to me.

It's about respect for the customer. I understand that some customers are rude, and the business loses money due to their lack of respect. But that respect needs to go both ways.

As for China, it is true, except for the very few places with infections, there are no restrictions for masks, eating out, movie theaters, or distancing. I'll grant that they respond to a local outbreak in a way that you would find, shall we say, unpalatable, but everywhere else is open for business.

It's about respect for the customer, too. It doesn't matter whether there is a pandemic.

Last edited:
@denverpilot This is probably paywalled, but I'm sure the article will appear elsewhere, too. https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/18/scams-coronavirus-vaccination-cards/

When you get all your news from the WaPo, NYT, and CNN of course you believe that a law will fix everything. Everyone is in shock, shock I say, that the red flag law didn't work in Indiana because it really wasn't enforced. Think of what we'd be saying if every law were fully enforced under plenty of law - probably everyone would be in jail for taking the tags off their mattresses.... heck, we could look like China if some folks got their way here on the Covid restrictions - it's something that we would find to be, shall we say, unplayable, as Cap'n Jack notes.

And as @Everskyward said, in some places people are still quite terrified. Numbers wise, in some of those places it’s somewhat justified.
Actually, we had very low numbers here for a major city. More deaths from OD than COVID, which is nothing to be proud of. When people were focusing on COVID in California, it wasn't this part. But it is a rat colony. Reservations or a wait were, and still are, often needed, unless you go to a small, unknown neighborhood place.

Last edited:
CDC lists overdose deaths 6/19-5/20 = 81,000. Among that number was the 19 yr old son of a coworker. Where is the outrage?

CDC lists overdose deaths 6/19-5/20 = 81,000. Among that number was the 19 yr old son of a coworker. Where is the outrage?
Probably less outrage because it's something you do to yourself. Yes, I know it's an addiction, but it's something people who aren't addicted don't understand. I don't.

Last edited:
You didn't read my rather short post. Restaurants did charge if you were late pre-pandemic. I

It's about respect for the customer. I understand that some customers are rude, and the business loses money due to their lack of respect. But that respect needs to go both ways.

Bills post wasn’t about a late charge. It was about not being seated with a reservation with tables open. In a town that now has reservations everywhere because of limited seating Covid rules.

Did you misread it? Or did I?

I could care less about what cable TV companies do. We don’t have one. We never will. (Not that the government hasn’t given them hundreds of billions to come out here. I guess I’d be fine with demanding a refund on that.)

Not sure what any of that has to do with Bill having to point at open tables and tell a manager nobody else is coming to take them because he’s the one holding a Covid reservation.

And *you* brought up China. I have no idea what that has to do with anything, but I definitely have never cared about what China does about much of anything, ever.

(I mean, I find it sad that they put down humans with bullets that disagree with them, but I have no idea how it relates to going out to dinner. Maybe they shoot anybody who doesn’t like the noodle special? You tell me.)

Any whooo... I’m pretty sure Bill’s dining story wasn’t about late charges for cable TV installs. Nor why you’d point out to me that cable companies do that, as if I was unaware of it. LOL.

I think I’ll summarize how this has gone so far...

Bill: I had a Covid dining restrictions weird experience.
Nate: Ha I told ya stuff like that was coming. Hilarious isn’t it? Here’s some more that are already happening.
Jack: Y’all must hate everything and want to move to China. Cable TV companies charge late fees!

Anyway. Off to visit the rat colony. The Comcast guy is meeting me at the data center. How’s that for ironic? I wouldn’t want to be late and rack up a late change for the company.

He’s only two months late himself... we ordered the circuit in late December. LOL...

Bills post wasn’t about a late charge. It was about not being seated with a reservation with tables open. In a town that now has reservations everywhere because of limited seating Covid rules.

Did you misread it? Or did I?
Try to read his post again. It is about respect for the customer, and their time. Look under my posts- @wsuffa chose to "like" them suggesting that I do have an understanding of what he wrote.

To answer your question, you misread the original post.
You also misread my replies.

Try to read his post again. It is about respect for the customer, and their time. Look under my posts- @wsuffa chose to "like" them suggesting that I do have an understanding of what he wrote.

To answer your question, you misread the original post.
You also misread my replies.

Yes but the initial premise was that none of his story even happens without his local Covid silliness.

Going off into what a cable company charges for not being home is completely useless in that context.

Or insinuating the customer needs to be respectful of a restaurant that wouldn’t seat them at open tables because they’re holding them for larger parties... when their local Covid silliness says they have to take reservations. LOL.

Your point was fine, just had nothing to do with the actual reason for the story in the first place. Just useless information.

Ain’t nobody here that doesn’t know idiots miss their business appointments. Definitely wasn’t the situation Bill was in.

Yes but the initial premise was that none of his story even happens without his local Covid silliness.
Covid just made it happen more often.

Going off into what a cable company charges for not being home is completely useless in that context.
It is an example of the same disregard for the customer and their time

Or insinuating the customer needs to be respectful of a restaurant that wouldn’t seat them at open tables because they’re holding them for larger parties... when their local Covid silliness says they have to take reservations. LOL.
This stuff happened pre-covid too.

Your point was fine, just had nothing to do with the actual reason for the story in the first place. Just useless information.
Again, the same sort of disregard for a customer's time, just a different business.

Ain’t nobody here that doesn’t know idiots miss their business appointments. Definitely wasn’t the situation Bill was in.
Actually, it was. @wsuffa had a scheduled reservation. Read his post- they said they were running late.

Here's the pertinent part:
Fourth choice did have seating available for one at the time I wanted, so I made the reservation - and noted their policy of canceling people who showed 15 minutes or more late and a possible fee for cancelation. Duly noted, no I wouldn't be late.

So I show up a couple of minutes before the appointed time, and what happens? You guessed it, the "greeter" cheerily told me that they were "running late tonight, and would I mind waiting for a bit". How long? "We don't know".
Covid or not, treat your customers with respect! Their time is important too!

Covid just made it happen more often.

It is an example of the same disregard for the customer and their time

This stuff happened pre-covid too.

Again, the same sort of disregard for a customer's time, just a different business.

Actually, it was. @wsuffa had a scheduled reservation. Read his post- they said they were running late.

Here's the pertinent part:

Covid or not, treat your customers with respect! Their time is important too!

No real argument with any of that. My point was that first thing you just said, Covid restrictions made it all worse and stupider than necessary.

I simply added examples of additional stupidity for all our enjoyment. Like I said, Bill and I have been sharing.

You then told me I should move to China if I didn’t like it, remember? LOL.

After that silliness, I gave examples of businesses that care enough about customers they basically ignore the restriction silliness over in the city, altogether, out here.

Pretty darn good customer focus really. No complaints here.

Just sorry for those who still have to deal with Covid restriction silliness.

The brilliant “public health” folks over in cow town closed all the public restrooms for a while. Human feces on the lawn at 7-11 is apparently “healthy”. Ha. And made sure pot shops and liquor stores were “essential”. Suuuuuper healthy.

Anyway. Was a lovely day in cow town.

Comcast guy was on time. His boss was late. When his boss did show up with the equipment he just tossed it on the data center security front counter and left, didn’t call us inside.

Think I can charge him a late fee? LOL.

Installer was great. Plugged in the gear and then waited four hours for the “only person who knows how to do these” at the office to dump a standard config into an Adtran. Ha.

(For those unaware it’s a piece of telecom gear that hasn’t changed in almost twenty years and needs maybe six commands typed into it to make it functional. I’d do it for them but I’m not allowed to touch their equipment.)

We chatted about being multi-generational CO families and how downright goofy the city has become.

His family lives out where I do, but they like green tractors. He installed the fiber optics at the green tractor dealer. He said his dad was the weirdo who left the farm to fly for an airline. Ha.

So we had a nice chat. Tractors, airplanes, city idiots, and easy tractor money waiting on them.

Y’all like the city “service” like that, you can keep it. I’ll wander in occasionally for a laugh or to sit and watch a cable company guy roll his eyes at his “advanced” service team.

Maybe it’s the pot. LOL. Shrug. They’re all “extra healthy” after the weekend.

As long as the public health “experts” over there leave me a legal place to pee, I won’t be arrested for indecent exposure in their “enlightened civilization” full of brilliant people.

Pay is the same whether I’m getting actual work done or escorting the other CO native to a rack cabinet and watching him sit on hold with his city tech “experts”.

We both definitely enjoyed the easy tractor money.

The more I’m away from city people who think bad customer service from both companies and government is normal, the happier I am, unless they’re paying me to be there.

I bought the tractor and implements in less time than the poor dude sat on hold today, waiting for someone to type six commands they’ve known they needed to type since late December.

I loooooooove easy tractor money. Just keep the toilets open or I’ll pee on the fancy landscaping. LOL. Doesn’t seem too much to ask of all the brilliant city folk and their “health experts”. LOL

The domestic goddess, er... household nurse, pointed out weeks ago that since everyone at the hospital is vaccinated now, they are only wearing masks to keep the patients from freaking out. They don’t care anymore.

They even shared their bathroom with hundreds of them. Pre-vaccine. I guess the public health experts didn’t know the actual medical experts were operating a Death Toilet. Haha.

Sounds like a good name for a thrash band eh? Death Toilet! And their first album, Easy Tractor Money!

In the end, it’s all quite entertaining from afar. Hearing the crazy stories of even more insane cities here and elsewhere is just evening internet fodder.

Bill posts some pretty hilarious stuff about it all, elsewhere. Not here. Too many here are humorless.

I enjoy them all. Thanks Bill!

I had long day on Friday, starting with an ophthalmologist appointment -

eye doc appointments when wearing a mask is no fun at all, the machines keep clouding up and we have to stop and clean the lenses over and over again...

We've been doing this for over a year. I'd think the eye doctor would have figured out a better mask/shield system by now. I'm sure others have. Heck, dentists are still seeing people (at least they are here), and have figured out an apparently acceptable system of precautions.

You'd probably like a place with no mask or social distance restrictions right now, like the People's Republic of China.
Anecdotal, I know, but this was the view I had when checking out of my hotel room in China last week.

36CBF781-7D91-48F7-B6E2-ADFF7E6AF31C.jpeg

Installer was great. Plugged in the gear and then waited four hours for the “only person who knows how to do these” at the office to dump a standard config into an Adtran. Ha.

(For those unaware it’s a piece of telecom gear that hasn’t changed in almost twenty years and needs maybe six commands typed into it to make it functional. I’d do it for them but I’m not allowed to touch their equipment.)

He's paid whether he's waiting or actually doing stuff. Don't matter to him.

Bill posts some pretty hilarious stuff about it all, elsewhere. Not here. Too many here are humorless.

I enjoy them all. Thanks Bill!
You're welcome...

Anecdotal, I know, but this was the view I had when checking out of my hotel room in China last week.

So, is that social disance measured from front to back or side to side.??

And did you keep your social disance.?? :lol:

View attachment 95697
It still counts as a single data point. What is the context of this?
My understanding is that foreigners, after getting the Chinese vaccine, can travel freely within China, after a two week quarantine (http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/t1861379.htm, https://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/china-travel-reopen-restrictions.htm ). I'm hearing rumors that they might approve the Pfizer vaccine. The second link indicates quarantine at a government selected hotel. The hotel staff facing customers that are just passing through (like air crew), or people needing to undergo quarantine, are likely to dress like the people in that image. They will also apply restrictions within China if there is an outbreak.

My friends and colleagues who live there have told me that things are generally back to normal. They would not have any experience with anything other than domestic travel, the comments above are not from talking to them. The images below are from their public posts on WeChat, and suggest things are fairly normal there. These are from after Spring Festival, and so are recent enough to be valid. Note the lack of masking in all of them.

From some conference or another
upload_2021-4-20_17-18-19.png

Celebration of the 90th year since the founding of a university
upload_2021-4-20_17-19-39.png

At an American Sports Experience business
upload_2021-4-20_17-21-35.png

This one is a capture from a video, dance practice at a local university
upload_2021-4-20_17-25-15.png

What you really want to know is if the room cleaning staff dresses like that. Who cares about the front desk? LOL.

I chucked at the recent Hilton property stay. Big push to have you use the digital key for the rooms. Fine. Loaded it up in one phone.

Later ended up still getting a physical card because guess who’s app can’t deal with the guy who carries two phones? Hehehehe.

I found a bug. Not in my room. :)

Wonder if it works on multiple phones in the same party?

Always amazed basic software QA doesn’t catch blatantly obvious ones like that.

And yeah, the front desk knew. Probably every front desk of every Hilton property knows.

“Yeah, it will only load on one phone.”

You’d think... maybe... they’d... all... e-mail somebody about that. Ha.

I chucked at the recent Hilton property stay. Big push to have you use the digital key for the rooms. Fine. Loaded it up in one phone.

Later ended up still getting a physical card because guess who’s app can’t deal with the guy who carries two phones? Hehehehe.

I found a bug. Not in my room. :)

Wonder if it works on multiple phones in the same party?

Always amazed basic software QA doesn’t catch blatantly obvious ones like that.

And yeah, the front desk knew. Probably every front desk of every Hilton property knows.

“Yeah, it will only load on one phone.”

You’d think... maybe... they’d... all... e-mail somebody about that. Ha.

The answer to "Does it work on multiple phones in the same party?" is a resounding NO! My family stayed at a Homewood Suites and were all going to load the digital keycard through my parents' account so more than four of us could have a key. My younger brother loaded it up first and even though we were all logged into the same account, no one else could use it. Very handy. :rolleyes:

So SO and I were on the road most of yesterday and decided to go out to eat when we got home. Different restaurant, this time for two folks, and same result: showed up at appointed time, "we're running late, please wait, don't know how long". I fussed (and earned an admonishment for chewing hostess out from SO who simply would comply and wait because "there's nothing hostess can do"). We were seated at a repurposed 4-top after a short wait.

This restaurant is now charging for bread before the meal.

Oh, and found that there was a roll squashed between 2 supposedly "clean" bread plates at the table. At best, leaves one uncomfortable about the sanitation; at worst, a deliberate attempt to send a message about wanting to be seated at the appointed time.

Back