Required time, hood vs. night

exncsurfer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
exncsurfer
I know, 'Ask your CFI!', read the FAR, blah blah.

Anyway, Can hood time be combined with night time for the requirements?

Lets say you flew 2 hours at night and one hour was under hood, can that count as 2 hours of night AND one hour hood? Or do you have to choose one or the other to tally?

You can combine. A lot of the times I will combine the two. Do some VOR tracking at night, unusual attitudes, finding your location with cross radials, etc.

If the FARs omit saying you can't do it, you can do it.

This is akin to asking the question "Can I log time while chewing bubble gum? I don't see anything in the FAR's that allow me to chew bubble gum (wear Hello Kitty, listen to Menudo, fly in sandals) and log time."

This is akin to asking the question "Can I log time while chewing bubble gum? I don't see anything in the FAR's that allow me to chew bubble gum (wear Hello Kitty, listen to Menudo, fly in sandals) and log time."
...although wearing Hello Kitty or listening to Menudo COULD constitute lack of good moral character and subsequent inability to obtain an ATP...:confused:

Do it cross country too, to maximize the column entries in your log book.

What about while EATING menudo?

Nothing regulatory prohibits it.

But since the idea of the night flight requirement is to learn to fly visually at night, I would minimize the combination

But since the idea of the night flight requirement is to learn to fly visually at night, I would minimize the combination
Definitely true, no argument here.
However, I would also recommend to do some hood time and unusual attitude recovery at night anyway since that's where spacial disorientation happens easier. (during the day, the sun angle in the cockpit can hint at your attitude and it is hard to get disoriented)

Have fun!!

Definitely true, no argument here.
However, I would also recommend to do some hood time and unusual attitude recovery at night anyway since that's where spacial disorientation happens easier. (during the day, the sun angle in the cockpit can hint at your attitude and it is hard to get disoriented)

Have fun!!
No argument there here either.

Wait, what? What? Wait!
We can't be agreeing with each other here.
This is the PoA, it is against the rules of conduct on this board. :p

Back