Required reporting points

Archimago

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Archimago
In the aim 5-3-3 g. When leaving any assigned holding fix or point.

if my missed approach includes a hold. After I contact ATC and let them know I have gone missed and my intentions and they clear me to do a different approach, do I still need to also tell them when I am leaving the hold or is that understood in their clearance?

Reactions: YKA

if my missed approach includes a hold. After I contact ATC and let them know I have gone missed and my intentions and they clear me to do a different approach, do I still need to also tell them when I am leaving the hold or is that understood in their clearance?

If they asked you to do something else, then you acknowledge their request, if safe to do so. Something to keep in mind, controllers are not the final word. Basically think of everything they say as a request, not an order. A pilot always has the final say in the matter. But you should when safe to do so, let them know that you can and will comply, or no you won't do it, and ask for something else. But fly the plane first, make your radio call after. In other words don't crash the plane, because you are distracted making radio calls. And never agree to do anything that will get you in over your head. If an airport isn't too busy, I'll often request something else, not what they first suggested. At my home airport i prefer the narrow and short runway, to the main runway. So unless it is busy, I request it instead. They don't mind, unless you are doing it when traffic is stacked up. But in a safety situation, never agree unless you are comfy. And if they request something, and you say you will do it, that is good enough, and accepted. Never hurts to read back to them what they requested. Again especially if it is a safety thing. For example a hold short, always respond with a read back. In the scenario that you used, acknowledging with a read back is a good idea.

Last edited:

Sounds like you are looking for a ‘letter’ of the law answer. It looks like the answer is yes. It also looks like that might be kinda silly, and not required, if you are in Radar Contact and the Approach Control is a Military facility and you are training. See the Note to 5-3-3 g., which I’m sure you have, just getting it out there

NOTE−
The reports in subparagraphs (f) and (g) may be omitted by
pilots of aircraft involved in instrument training at military
terminal area facilities when radar service is being
provided.

Where you established in a hold before they gave you further clearance?

If so, just include, "leaving the hold", in your readback of the clearance that takes you out of the hold.

If the hold is the start of the approach for which you are now cleared, report leaving the hold when you leave the hold.

So I am looking for the letter of the law so to speak (training). If I am in a hold, announce that I am, and then while in this hold I ask for another approach in which the fix for the hold is also a fix in the approach I want to fly next. I get cleared to fly to this fix, an altitude, and a clearance to fly the approach, do I still report leaving this fix.
I.e "cleared to ABC, maintain 5000, cleared for the ILS 12..." and ABC is also the fix for the hold that I am in.

So I am looking for the letter of the law so to speak (training). If I am in a hold, announce that I am, and then while in this hold I ask for another approach in which the fix for the hold is also a fix in the approach I want to fly next. I get cleared to fly to this fix, an altitude, and a clearance to fly the approach, do I still report leaving this fix.
I.e "cleared to ABC, maintain 5000, cleared for the ILS 12..." and ABC is also the fix for the hold that I am in.
There is no letter of the law for any required additional reports. Rather, they are set forth in the AIM as policy.

If your hypothetical approach is a VOR or ILS, the holding fix could be an IAF/FAF. So, that also raises another AIM-required report if you're in a non-radar environment.

They aren't going to say "...cleared to ABC, maintain 5000, cleared for the ILS 12..." if you are already in holding there as you described "...and ABC is also the fix for the hold that I am in." 5-3-3 a. 1. g. says to make the report.

Back