request of Cherokee 140 owners

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
I'm posting this because my message may be buried too deep in another thread for anyone to notice. Next time you are at your plane could you gently push in the area of the blue sticky depicted below to check to see if you hear any scraping sounds that would indicate that the adhesive used to bond the skin to the inner support has failed. Mine is a '69 model. You can pm me the results if you don't want it on the open forum. I sincerely hope that this doesn't result in yet another AD to comply with. It could be something, it could be nothing.
IMG_0203.jpg

I got a red x on the first if this double posts, excuse me.

IMG_0203.jpg

Last edited:
I wipe my airplane down with BlackFire rinseless wash after each flight. I don't ever remember hearing any sort of scraping sound in that area. Next time I'm at the hangar I will specifically check again, but I'm pretty sure I don't have that issue.

I wipe my airplane down with BlackFire rinseless wash after each flight. I don't ever remember hearing any sort of scraping sound in that area. Next time I'm at the hangar I will specifically check again, but I'm pretty sure I don't have that issue.

I LOVE Blackfire's products. My car is being waxed with Wet Diamond as we speak.

I LOVE Blackfire's products. My car is being waxed with Wet Diamond as we speak.
I love their stuff too. I order it from the autogeek website.
I flew up to my brother's house recently. When I went to fuel the plane the FBO guy put my gas cap on the wing before I could stop him and it slid right off. Fortunately I caught the cap. His comment was something about how good my wax job was. I didn't tell him that I had not waxed the plane since last June. The Blackfire dry wash has polimers that keep your wax job in great shape. I just wipe the plane down with it after each flight to knock the bugs and dust off. I bought a kit with a little pump sprayer, the dry wash concentrate and nice plush microfiber towels. It keeps my plane in great shape!

I love their stuff too. I order it from the autogeek website.
I flew up to my brother's house recently. When I went to fuel the plane the FBO guy put my gas cap on the wing before I could stop him and it slid right off. Fortunately I caught the cap. His comment was something about how good my wax job was. I didn't tell him that I had not waxed the plane since last June. The Blackfire dry wash has polimers that keep your wax job in great shape. I just wipe the plane down with it after each flight to knock the bugs and dust off. I bought a kit with a little pump sprayer, the dry wash concentrate and nice plush microfiber towels. It keeps my plane in great shape!

Just got the moneypit washed, buffed, and waxed. Sounds like I have a new blackfire product to buy. Good tip!

I stopped caring about this post when I went to the airport at 10pm for you to take those photos of the inside of the airplane and then you added another freakin' requirement!

Damn, wish I still had my '69...I'd run out and check. I think I've got some interior pics of that area from an annual. Let me rummage and I'll get back to you. I sure don't remember any scraping sounds, although the panels push in pretty easily in that area if memory serves.

Like I said, it could be nothing. It was enough to raise the eyebrow of my A&P and tell me not to fly it. Personally, I think it was like that when I bought it two years and 150 hours ago but better safe than sorry.

I just checked mine. It had kind of a squishy Velcro or crunchy sound near the seams.

So I'd bet my aero plane is the same as yours. So we're both fine or were both screwed.

However it was not repeatable. The first time I pressed it made the crunchy sound then it didn't do it again.

Last edited:
Not quite what I remembered, but does this help at all?

Attachments

• DSCN0615.JPG
    DSCN0615.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 59
Thanks but not really. Interesting though, had that whole panel been replaced? One side is alodined and the other side is not.

PHX - Velcro or crunchy sound isn't what I get. It sounds like a panel getting scraped against an old glue covered stiffener. Hard to describe. Thanks for the push test though, I have no more assignments for you right now but stay in the area in case I have a problem only YOU can solve. ;)

Yeah, replaced long before I owned her. The alodined side was the replaced side. Never found out the "story" behind it....but the log-book documented the skin replacement. You know there HAD to be a story in there somewhere.....

Now I'm curious, do you get that sound from both sides? I realize the side you indicated would be found first due to the step/handle, but does the port side do the same?

On the way to work today I'm going by the hanger to see. How I noticed it was when I was standing in the exact right place with the sun just so, I noticed what looked like a tiny inside-out dent so I pushed on it. Yours was replaced so you don't have 40+ glue breaking down plus in that picture I couldn't tell which was riveted and which was glued.

Sometimes vintage stuff ain't worth having. I had an awesome pair Pioneer Reference Series speakers and a fine Technics Amp. The amp was always powered and went to standby when turned off. I came home one day to a Gawd awful sound in the house, the amp had failed and the loud distortion that commenced for who knows how long, destroyed the speakers.

No takers other than Phoenix? Or maybe you're being smart and keeping your mouth shut about it. I know there are more than 3 Cherokee drivers on this board.

I pushed on my Archer for you, but it's an Archer even though 50% of controllers call me a Cherokee. :cool:

c7f11c5a43b57bf185d4ebe4c57165ce.jpg

This is the inside of my 1967 140. This plane was changed into a 180 back in 1971, with an o-360 engine and moving the rear bulkhead back one station.... so in the photo on the edges can be seen headliner on the bulkhead flange so I believe this is the panels that you are looking for...

As for how it feels, I will check it tomorrow... perfect day to go flying and I did not feel well... not going up after a bad nights sleep....

56abff40b08cf86e5a288afeb5c56170.jpg

So here is the ELT and the rib running under the mount.... with rivets in place.... n the other ribs do not have rivets down the length.

Back