Report, or let it go?

Dictionary.com s3z

Karen is a pejorative slang term for an obnoxious, angry, entitled, and often racist middle-aged white woman who uses her privilege to get her way or police other people’s behaviors.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/karen/

Go to YouTube and type the word into the search bar and you will quickly see that the weasel definition you posted is not correct.

Go to YouTube and type the word into the search bar and you will quickly see that the weasel definition you posted is not correct.

I can also punch Flat Earth into the search bar of YouTube and "prove" that the Earth isn't round. Are you actually suggesting that YouTube is the authority on what is true and what is false?

I can also punch Flat Earth into the search bar of YouTube and "prove" that the Earth isn't round. Are you actually suggesting that YouTube is the authority on what is true and what is false?
No, I'm suggesting you look at how that "slang" term is actually being used in real life rather than accepting some english major's interpretation of what the slang term means. Beyond that, the definition you posted does not negate my original comment on the post, it's racist.

No, I'm suggesting you look at how that "slang" term is actually being used in real life rather than accepting some english major's interpretation of what the slang term means. Beyond that, the definition you posted does not negate my original comment on the post, it's racist.

No. It can only be racist if it affects a minority. Don't you watch mainstream media?

I actually did do the youtube search for Karen, and every thumbnail was of a white woman, and if it wasn't the titled indicated as to why. Seems like it agreed with the definition in the dictionary.

No. It can only be racist if it affects a minority. Don't you watch mainstream media?

I actually did do the youtube search for Karen, and every thumbnail was of a white woman, and if it wasn't the titled indicated as to why. Seems like it agreed with the definition in the dictionary.
That’s not what I got, interesting. And no I don’t watch mainstream media, but sometimes you only see what you expect.

Am I the only one that sees the irony of people arguing that Karen has to be a middle aged white woman, when it was used in this very thread to describe someone that is not a white woman?

foul - not allowed.

;-)

Am I the only one that sees the irony of people arguing that Karen has to be a middle aged white woman, when it was used in this very thread to describe someone that is not a white woman?

Nope. You’re not the only one.

There are people that are being convinced that the earth is flat....while listening to them on satellite radio. An almost unfathomable level of irony.

...people arguing that Karen has to be a middle aged white woman,...

Thereby making the term "Karen" a trifecta epithet: ageist ("middle aged"), racist ("white") and misogynist ("woman") all at once! Quite impressive. And when hurled at a male, it probably even brings transgender insults into play.

I do wish the forum had a sticky that listed which epithets are approved or not approved for use, along with some guidelines for users and perhaps a few examples of appropriate applications. I get so confused....

Thereby making the term "Karen" a trifecta epithet: ageist ("middle aged"), racist ("white") and misogynist ("woman") all at once!

All that in the eyes of some, and still in only one word so very accurately descriptive of a large number of people's chosen behavior. So much so that virtually everybody knows exactly what you mean and resonates with it based on their own life experiences. I think its quite a useful term for clear communication with that in mind, and that I need to use it more.

Last edited:
and still in only one word so very accurately descriptive of a large number of people's chosen behavior.
I’ve heard exactly that said about the n word.

What have you heard said about the phrase 'red herring'?

I was cruising along the NJ beach at 500' in my T-Craft once when I got bounced by a P-51. He roared by about 50' off my wingtip hauling ***, and I mean roared... even over my own engine noise I heard him before I saw him.

No idea who he was. Report him? Hell no, I wanted him to do it again!
I was stoked when Moffett Tower pointed out a P51 below me while I was transiting their airspace.

[Edit: Oops, sorry, I accidentally posted some aviation content! ;)]

Last edited:
I’ve heard exactly that said about the n word.

And I was taught growing up how that word was not about color, but about low behaviour. The phrase "white n-word" was used every so often in our house.

Mentioning this to a black person throws off some real spirited discussions, and probably rightly. I don't bring it up much these days. :)

Back to the original post - I had a similar experience recently, in my case it was the county Sherriff in a Jetranger. I think those guys just get bored flying endlessly around in circles.

Happened to me once. Followed every maneuver I made, right at my 6 so I couldn't get a look at him. I was jinking like crazy and couldn't shake him. He was so close our icons were overlapping on ADS-B!

Then I got home, did some research, and realized I didn't have ADS-B set up correctly. It was my own ship.

Last edited:
Happened to me once. Followed every maneuver I made, right at my 6 so I couldn't get a look at him. I was jinking like crazy and couldn't shake him. He was so close our icons were overlapping on ADS-B!

Then I got home, did some research, and realized I didn't have ADS-B set up correctly. It was me.
That’s happened to me a few times. The other day I was doing some tight turns (3-3.3G) and kept getting alerts on myself.

Then I got home, did some research, and realized I didn't have ADS-B set up correctly. It was me.

Have you considered giving yourself the prequel to assault? If not, reach out to @Coinneach for some assistance?

"Karen" is one of the many, many juvenile aspects of internet culture that most people would be too embarrassed to use in real life. But there are generally no negative social consequences for being a twit on the web.

I did the Chicago lakefront the other day, meeting a friend in Lansing, IL. One the way back I was following a plane at less than a mile. I kept an eye on him, even as he went through an active ‘stadium TFR’, I went around.

Anyway, crisis averted.

1E143E95-DD57-4BEB-8D3D-467A08F961EB.jpeg

... But there are generally no negative social consequences for being a twit on the web.

until background checks on done on people by people who hate them.

Another?

edit: Just for clarity the post you quoted was sarcasm and I’m trying to understand what it was you said in response.

Are you asserting that I’m a racist and a bigot?

Lol, nope, just more sarcasm.

You’re wrong.

I disagree. There is nothing racist about the word Karen.

If an individual sees a white woman, that appears to be wealthy and then states “look at that karen” the individual would be a bigot.

If an individual sees a white woman, that appears to be wealthy arguing with someone in a service job tying to use her social status and wealth as a lever for special treatment using the word “karen” to reference her is a succinct way to convey the situation in a conversation.

If you prefer not to use the word karen that’s fine. To assign bias or bigotry to the word or people that use it is inappropriate and dangerously close to being what you condemn.

Edit: initially I stated Paul was wrong. Changed to more accurate state my position to one of disagreement. Seemed more respectful this way.

Last edited:
I disagree. There is nothing racist about the word Karen.

If an individual sees a white woman, that appears to be wealthy and then states “look at that karen” the individual would be a bigot.

If an individual sees a white woman, that appears to be wealthy arguing with someone in a service job tying to use her social status and wealth as a lever for special treatment using the word “karen” to reference her is a succinct way to convey the situation in a conversation.

If you prefer not to use the word karen that’s fine. To assign bias or bigotry to the word or people that use it is inappropriate and dangerously close to being what you condemn.

Edit: initially I stated Paul was wrong. Changed to more accurate state my position to one of disagreement. Seemed more respectful this way.

I couldn't care less about the term Karen, I thought it was funny to start, now I just think it's just dumb. I do think that assigning any derogatory term, which is the slang usage of "Karen", to one race is racist. In practice the derogatory version of Karen is applied across race, if you care to look at places it is being used in social media you will see that. (And by "you" I mean anyone who thinks "karen" just applies to white women.

We need to stop looking and thinking, with very few exceptions, about people's behavior as a context of their skin color.

I couldn't care less about the term Karen, I thought it was funny to start, now I just think it's just dumb. I do think that assigning any derogatory term, which is the slang usage of "Karen", to one race is racist. In practice the derogatory version of Karen is applied across race, if you care to look at places it is being used in social media you will see that. (And by "you" I mean anyone who thinks "karen" just applies to white women.

We need to stop looking and thinking, with very few exceptions, about people's behavior as a context of their skin color.
I agree

I agree too... except that different cultural groups (which often correlate with ethnicity / skin color) do tend to have different standards of what constitutes acceptable behavior. Still, jerks come in all colors.

I was IFR (in VMC) once on a westerly heading at 6000 ft. When two Yaks in a side-by-side formation appeared in my windscreen in the exact opposite direction, at the exact same altitude. I continued on my heading and they passed me- one on my left and the other on my right- bot easily within 200 feet of me. I couldn't even guess at a good way to maneuver for avoidance so I just watched it happen. I then told the controller who didn't really seem to care, and I filed an ASRS report when I got home. Nothing more ever came of it. It was before ADSB.

I was IFR (in VMC) once on a westerly heading at 6000 ft. When two Yaks in a side-by-side formation appeared in my windscreen in the exact opposite direction, at the exact same altitude. I continued on my heading and they passed me- one on my left and the other on my right- bot easily within 200 feet of me. I couldn't even guess at a good way to maneuver for avoidance so I just watched it happen. I then told the controller who didn't really seem to care, and I filed an ASRS report when I got home. Nothing more ever came of it. It was before ADSB.
Split "S" to reverse, use God's own G to get that energy up, then "guns, guns, guns" from their six o'clock low.

Back