'Report 4 mile base for runway two five left' - meaning?

3e2.jpg

Plus they would never stay up on the first one.

But then the first dog must be from an urban area, because his pants aren't covering his ass.

LOL. Not pictured here, but yes. He is from inner city Detroit and listens to Tupac on his daily walks.

This thread should be copied and sent to the FAA for distribution to all the Towers. That was a sheety instruction by the controller. The right answer is all the ones above that say, in so many words, ask the tower wtf they mean

Yea but a dog has 4 sets of ankles, so by your definition dog #1 is right. Basic science

If it covered above the buttocks, then yes, it would be most appropriate. Below the waste doesn’t count,

What it means is this. When you are four miles out, you report you position.

The tower then gives the magic words "Cleared to land."

They want to wait to give a clearance (or tell you to do something else) until you are actually near enough to integrate into the traffic

Figuring out how to word a request for clarification in such a way as to remove all ambiguity may not be immediately obvious, and if the frequency is busy, there might not be time for a lot of verbiage. It occurs to me that if you're at least four miles away from the airport when you report, then it's not critical which interpretation you choose, because there will be time for the controller to fix it if it turns out not to be what's needed. So I would say turn base where it makes the most sense based on your location at the time you receive the instruction.

WOW, a lot of replies...thank you! Really does seem to be something that is up for interpretation. For instance, even the one part of the instruction, "report 4 mile base", could mean "report when 4 miles out, and you are to enter base to the runway", or, could be "enter an extended base that is 4 miles long, and report when you are at the beginning of that base". If I get a chance to tour the control tower again, I'll ask them about this. In the mean time, if they throw this instruction at me in the future, I'll inform them that I'm a student pilot, and ask them to clarify.

Figuring out how to word a request for clarification in such a way as to remove all ambiguity may not be immediately obvious, and if the frequency is busy, there might not be time for a lot of verbiage. It occurs to me that if you're at least four miles away from the airport when you report, then it's not critical which interpretation you choose, because there will be time for the controller to fix it if it turns out not to be what's needed. So I would say turn base where it makes the most sense based on your location at the time you receive the instruction.

Two different ways to remove the ambiguity.

“Cherokee 123, enter left base runway 25L, report 4 mile final.”

“Cherokee 123, enter left base runway 25L, report 4 miles east of the field.”

lol this is like the fooking twilight zone, this thread. never heard of entering a base AND a 4 mile final before. maybe the southeast is weird, we only enter one or the other. also, 'round here, the base leg is in the same spot every time, at every airport, it never moves. even more strange, so is the downwind leg and so is final. I guess all of our cfi's and all of our controllers have it wrong, I reckon'. and I guess I've been wrong every single time I've entered an extended leg. weird.

Threads like these confuse those with little experience way more than it helps. Lol

I think people are in agreement, but no one can explain it in a way that everyone agrees upon lol

Agreed. Then Ed came in with some odd contraption of an answer :dunno:

actually I thought this clearly explained it correctly:

For me all legs are 1/2 mile offset at most. Downwind is 1/2 mile offset from the centerline. Base is offset 1/2 mile from end of runway. So for me, if I hear 4 mile base I'm going to be flying a base leg that's 4 miles long, and will be on 1/2 mile final when I make the turn.

actually I thought this clearly explained it correctly:

Lolol what is this the twilight zone?? Idk about that

So what if I’m lined up for base already and I’m like 15 miles out? I get this All the time at deer valley. I continue flying straight ahead lined up for base and report when I am 4 miles out.

I said this and Tim said I was wrong. Go figure

Well technically if I’m using my GPS then it’s not measuring from the centerline it’s measuring from the center of the airport. So yea it won’t be exactly 4 miles when I call up. Never had any issue with any controller

Back