Replacing Grumman Air Filter

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
1972 AA5 Traveler
My plane looks nothing like what I am seeing in the maintenance manual.

The maintenance manual shows this little plate you remove on the bottom of the cowl and this contraption comes out w/ the air filter in it and it looks like it could be pretty easy to look at and replace.

I see no such plate under my cowl.
I cannot find any videos or documentation on line explaining how one changes an airfilter with my setup.

Any tips / thoughts on what I need to be looking at?

When I look down the intake in the front of the cowl, I see a filter of sorts, and it looks pretty nasty and I am concerned it might need to be looked at. I am unsure how to get to it.

I do not see anything that resembles the image below.
Any ideas?

Untitled.jpg

As I recall, yours is a Traveller. Roy LoPresti changed the cowl for both the Cheetah and Tiger so not surprising the pictures don't apply. Are you sure there isn't a page missing from your maintenance manual that has pictures of the AA5 ("no bloody A or B" as Scotty would say)?

The problem is you have the wrong book. Here, I found it for you...you're welcome.
AA5.jpeg
*Disclaimer: This is a joke...clearly this is for the twin traveler...aka AA10 :)

The air filter in your AA5 is in a bracket attached to the airbox which is diagrammed in Section 30 of the maintenance manual. To replace the filter, you need to disassemble the bracket and replace the foam filter. Many Grummans have had the factory filter assembly replaced with a Brackett STC assembly, which uses a "wet", non serviceable foam filter which must be replaced, not cleaned.

Same one I have. Diagrams don't agree.

Look in section 30. The diagram is not all that helpful, but looking at the filter bracket should make it obvious how to disassamble. My A&P replaces the Brackett filter element every year.

Did they not change the filter element at annual?

Out of curiosity, why not? Aren't the elements like ten bucks?

Back