Replacing aircraft battery as a private pilot

spinfire

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
Since "Replacing and servicing batteries" is in FAR 43 Appendix A Preventative Maintenance (and confirmed by advisory circular AC 43-12A) I believe I can replace my battery as a Private Pilot without A&P supervision. I'd be replacing the battery with an identical model.

What do I write in the airframe logbook? I suspect something along the lines of "Replaced aircraft battery with new Gil G-35 FAA PMA #12345, ops check OK." followed by my signature, name, and private pilot certificate number. Is this sufficient or do I need to describe the process?

I'd also welcome any advice on replacing the battery. It is in the tailcone in a battery box. Will I need safety wire? I have normal tools for automotive work and have replaced automotive batteries before.

Thanks

Since "Replacing and servicing batteries" is in FAR 43 Appendix A Preventative Maintenance (and confirmed by advisory circular AC 43-12A) I believe I can replace my battery as a Private Pilot without A&P supervision. I'd be replacing the battery with an identical model.

What do I write in the airframe logbook? I suspect something along the lines of "Replaced aircraft battery with new Gil G-35 FAA PMA #12345, ops check OK." followed by my signature, name, and private pilot certificate number. Is this sufficient or do I need to describe the process?

I'd also welcome any advice on replacing the battery. It is in the tailcone in a battery box. Will I need safety wire? I have normal tools for automotive work and have replaced automotive batteries before.

Thanks

On you C177RG? Pretty much same as replacing car battery. Remove negative (ground) first and install it last. Be careful with the cessna plastic battery box parts they tend to be fragile. Your logbook entry looks fine.

Edit: be sure to date the log entry. Also I like to add a date on the top of the battery via permanent marker for quick easy age assessment without logbook later.

Last edited:
Add the date, and the airframe hours to your entry and you're good.

Suppose he wanted to replace it with a better battery? Any problems with that?

My understanding is that replacing it with a Concorde RG battery is considered an STC requiring modification because the battery box requires modification. The Gil 35-S seems to have had very mixed results in my review of Cardinal Flyers.

My understanding is that replacing it with a Concorde RG battery is considered an STC requiring modification because the battery box requires modification. The Gil 35-S seems to have had very mixed results in my review of Cardinal Flyers.

Battery box doesn't need to be modified, but there may be an STC for the installation.

According to another website the Concorde STC is a $100. IIRC there was no modification to the battery box. The battery DOES fit the OEM box. Weight & Balance record may need to be revised and a FAA form 337 filed for the STC. The paperwork requires an IA but the work can be accomplished under IA supervision.

Do you think the Concorde is significantly better?

Do you think the Concorde is significantly better?

My dad has has a Concorde RG35 in a 1968 C177 that has been run down dead for two weeks before recharge (left master on) is never plugged into a battery tender, and was installed new 7 years ago.

still going even after cranking 3 minutes in the cold SD winter

Last edited:
If you have to ask these questions, it would probably behoove you to get an A&P to supervise both your work and the making of the log entry the first time you do it.

Is it just me or does it seem strange that we are afraid to change the battery in an airplane due to government regulations? Really?

:mad2:

If you have to ask these questions, it would probably behoove you to get an A&P to supervise both your work and the making of the log entry the first time you do it.

Why? Replacing a battery is easy. Paperwork doesn't make the installation any more or less safe. Same goes for spark plugs, oil filter, or any other number of things allowed in part 43.

Is it just me or does it seem strange that we are afraid to change the battery in an airplane due to government regulations? Really?

:mad2:

Some posters are. They think that not signing a logbook will make them fall out of the sky, and that the government needs to wipe our ass for every little thing, and should never, ever be questioned.

How did we get from a new guy asking for help to being scared "that the government needs to wipe our ass for every little thing" ?

How does it help him comply with the requirements?

Last edited:
Really? I would applaud the OP for asking the question, to be sure he does it correctly. Sure an AP could have helped him with it as well, but why criticize him for asking an honest question and trying to learn? As others have said it is not much more than changing a car battery, but then again I wonder how many of us has had the experience of changing the battery in a Solstice?

Why? Replacing a battery is easy. Paperwork doesn't make the installation any more or less safe. Same goes for spark plugs, oil filter, or any other number of things allowed in part 43.
Easy for someone who knows how to do it, but could be harder for someone who has to ask whether it needs safety wire.

I've changed many car batteries in my life time and I participated in my annual this year so I'm quite comfortable with changing the battery. It sounds like the language in the logbook is plain and nothing to be afraid of (I notice plenty of variation in style between different A&Ps anyway).

Yes, really.
I would applaud the OP for asking the question, to be sure he does it correctly. Sure an AP could have helped him with it as well, but why criticize him for asking an honest question and trying to learn?
Read my post again -- no criticism, just a suggestion. Take it or leave it -- I won't be in that plane so it won't affect me.

I've changed many car batteries in my life time and I participated in my annual this year so I'm quite comfortable with changing the battery. It sounds like the language in the logbook is plain and nothing to be afraid of (I notice plenty of variation in style between different A&Ps anyway).

A&Ps became mechanics because they understand nuts and bolts. Some can't even type. Even fewer are English majors.

Date, tach time, what you did, and part numbers & serial numbers (can be helpful later) your John Doe and FAA certificate #.

I'm still curious why I got rebuked for asking a related question.

FAR 43.9 is maintence records and what entries should contain.

Yes, really.
Read my post again -- no criticism, just a suggestion. Take it or leave it -- I won't be in that plane so it won't affect me.
Sorry, to me it looked more like criticism than a suggestion, but then again maybe I am just thinned skin.

Thanks

Replaced nearly all my batteries over the last 33 years. No big deal. Had one fail in the Cherokee out of town once. FBO said they couldn't jump or charge it because they didn't have a service manual for the plane. However, they could get me going in 24 hours with a new one for $700. Good little racket they have there. Unfortunately for them, they got to me too late. ;)

Easy for someone who knows how to do it, but could be harder for someone who has to ask whether it needs safety wire.

Probably pretty obvious to determine whether he needs it or not when he cuts the safety wire to remove the previous battery.

Replaced nearly all my batteries over the last 33 years. No big deal. Had one fail in the Cherokee out of town once. FBO said they couldn't jump or charge it because they didn't have a service manual for the plane. However, they could get me going in 24 hours with a new one for $700. Good little racket they have there. Unfortunately for them, they got to me too late. ;)

I've jump started my plane from my truck in the past, too. ;)

Thanks
The proper reference to return to service for a battery will be the Instructions for Continued Airworthiness that came with the battery.

It should read something like " removed and replaced aircraft battery IAW the battery manufacturer instructions, and is safe for operations"

add the required entries from FAR 43. time, date, and tach time Etc.

You'll need safety wire if the fasteners for the battery box lid are not cam-locs or lock-nuts. You couldn't possibly safety wire the wing-nuts on the battery terminals together as the safety wire would melt before you could finish twisting it. :rolleyes:

As for the logbook entry just remember it's YOUR logbook. Nobody is ever going to come around and write a citation for a lousy written logbook entry.

Have you ever read the instructions that came with your battery?

That was one plane ago, and that battery was on it's way out of commission at that point. I don't recall what battery it was - though it probably wasn't sealed, because at annual there was corrosion in the battery box. If there was instructions that came with the battery, it was probably lost in the 2-3 ownership transfers before I got it.

My Texas FBO along with several others I've visited don't allow their employees to do jump starts anymore for insurance reasons. This includes turbines! So they have a cart and they can plug you in, but they can't let you start the aircraft and pull the plug. I had to have the line guys hold the brakes while I got out and disconnected the cart and buttoned it up with the motor running.

Regulations and now insurance requirements.... sheesh.

Back