replacing a vertical stab on a C-182A

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
What might it cost to replace a vertical stab on a 182A? WAGs are appreciated.
Existing one has corrosion on the leading edge. Haven't been inside it, but probably ought to just replace the whole stab w a clean one. The rudder looks clean.
THANKS
dan

Existing one has corrosion on the leading edge.
Are you taking talking about the fin itself or the dorsal in front of the fin? Given the age of your aircraft you'd be ahead of the game to just have the corrosion repaired provided it requires a repair vs cleaning. While parts are available sometimes trying to get the right parts for the earlier model Cessnas can be a chore. As for sheetmetal work in general the costs tend to be high for someone who knows what their doing. What does your mechanic say about the corrosion?

"repairable" is is guess... but then, he hasn't been inside the stab. I see that there's one on ebay right now for $3K... the whole stabilizer... don't know which way to go. My mechanic isn't a sheet metal guy...

I see that there's one on ebay right now for $3K... the whole stabilizer... don't know which way to go.
FYI: the thing with sheetmetal parts is they can be very airframe or serial number specific as small aircraft were/are still pretty much hand assembled. For example, the one you found on Ebay may physically fit on your aircraft but not all the holes will line up, the rudder won't mount to the fin, etc. In my experience, the existing damage would have to be quite extensive to require replacement vs repairing... even if I had to remove the original vertifical fin assy and send it out for that repair. This can become a very slippery slope when you start to swap out big airframe pieces especially on an old A model.

OK. Good to know. I had some wing damage in a windstorm once, and got the same advice... that was twenty years ago and I'd forgotten. Probably the thing to do if the stab isn't too bad on the inside. I very much appreciate the coaching!
dan

Probably the thing to do if the stab isn't too bad on the inside.
Another FYI: Even if the interior of the fin has issues you can unzip one of the fin side skins, access any damage areas, and rivet the original skin back in place. Or find someone with some long, skinny arms to fix it.;)

Find a good one, and replace.
The rivets are designed to be replaced at same time as the skins are replaced, starting at the forward edge, and progressing rearward finishing with the rudder post.
$2500.00 for both skins, as I recall.

FYI: the thing with sheetmetal parts is they can be very airframe or serial number specific as small aircraft were/are still pretty much hand assembled. For example, the one you found on Ebay may physically fit on your aircraft but not all the holes will line up, the rudder won't mount to the fin, etc. In my experience, the existing damage would have to be quite extensive to require replacement vs repairing... even if I had to remove the original vertifical fin assy and send it out for that repair. This can become a very slippery slope when you start to swap out big airframe pieces especially on an old A model.
An -A is an -A

Last edited:
You'd be surprised how much corrosion 2024-t3 can show, and actually be cleaned, primed and reassembled... Unbutton the skins, soda blast and epoxy prime everything and reassemble it if they are still serviceable.

You'd be surprised how much corrosion 2024-t3 can show, and actually be cleaned, primed and reassembled... Unbutton the skins, soda blast and epoxy prime everything and reassemble it if they are still serviceable.
Let's remember stab skins are .016"

I appreciate all the coaching on this post. Really helpful.
dan

Back