Replacement spinner

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
Our 150/150 tow plane developed a pretty much irreparable crack in the spinner. Sourcing a replacement is proving to be problematic. As near as we can tell, the spinner is a MASA/Doyn 2512. Never heard of such a thing. For what it’s worth, the STC number is SA527CE.

Apparently, the STC holder turned it back in to the FAA. So the question is, How do we find a suitable replacement? Any ideas?

One option if the STC has been abandoned is to contact the ACO listed on the STC document. The ACO should have access to the STC drawings, etc. and can issue copies. Take those and have a spinner fabricated. However, you may be time/money ahead to switch to different spinner setup. Each case is different. Also I seem to recall some 150s can be flown without spinners as well but dont remember for sure. Might be another option?

Also I seem to recall some 150s can be flown without spinners as well but dont remember for sure. Might be another option?
The old 150s that had the one big cooling air inlet could be run without spinners. The cowls that had the two inlets, with a cowl ring behind the prop, could not.

Univair has an assortment of spinners. Might be able to adapt one under a 337.

The STC seems to require a spinner. Also, to run without a spinner, I believe a spinner bulkhead would have to be removed.

The STC specifies a specific spinner, which seems to be made out of unobtainium. Since I am not a mechanic and don’t know the ins ant outs of this sort of thing, if we found a spinner that would work, could we install it via a 337 and have it be legal even though it isn’t specified by the STC?

Jesus. Is it me or is the process of obtaining a replacement spinner spectacularly unnecessarily complicated?

Jesus. Is it me or is the process of obtaining a replacement spinner spectacularly unnecessarily complicated?
Well, yes it sort of is when there is an STC involved. You have to comply with the STC. Or somehow modify the STC. That is what I am in the proses of trying to figure out.

The most infamous spinner was the one supposedly required for the original Mo- - gas STC.

Getting a Field Approval for a 337 on replacement spinner might be difficult.
“ Approved Data” may be needed since it can affect engine cooling.

It may help to post a pic. IIRC there are some folks certified for this repai.
There are only a couple places that mfg. spinners as well.

It’s possible you may a rebranded 172 or 177 spinner installed. When Doyn put the first 180’s in Cardinals they 150 hp engines that were removed went to C-150s.
Maybe spinners too?

Well, yes it sort of is when there is an STC involved. You have to comply with the STC. Or somehow modify the STC. That is what I am in the proses of trying to figure out.

Best of luck to you sir. I hope you successfully figure it out.

The STC seems to require a spinner. Also, to run without a spinner, I believe a spinner bulkhead would have to be removed.
To go spinnerless you'd need to remove the entire STC set up and go back stock. Then see if your aircraft year/variant allows to remove OEM spinner. You could also look for used OEM spinner/backplate sets in the salvage yards but they are very S/N specific.
could we install it via a 337 and have it be legal even though it isn’t specified by the STC?
Or somehow modify the STC.
SA572CE above is for an engine upgrade and only specifies the 2512 spinner. Its not the STC for the spinner per se. What prop do you have on it? Perhaps call the prop OEM and inquire if there is an alternative out there for the 2512 with that prop. Or call Cessna tech support??

Back