Replacement parts for legacy Lightspeed Headsets?

Jakl15

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jakl
I recently purchased a Lightspeed Twenty 3G on Facebook marketplace locally, but when I went to plug it into the comm port, it just had nasty squealing noise. I took apart the battery module and of course the wire is frayed badly where it enters the battery module from the dual plug end.

I called Lightspeed and they said they no longer support these headsets. Anyone know a source that might salvage headsets or that can custom make a cord? I only bought this thing because I want to introduce my 4 year old to flying and her favorite color is purple. I have a 20XL from way back (of course the cords don’t match) that she can use, but alas, those are gray.

No only are they no longer supported, those head sets haven’t been supported for about 10 years. Good luck.

I repaired mine by cannibalizing an old pair for the dual plugs. As you saw, the connector in the battery box is a standard 5 terminal PCB connector. Clip off the connector, pull the old wires from the strain relief. There's a metal crimp in there you'll have to finagle. Enlarge the holes a bit in the strain relief and work the new wires through. Strip them. Back and solder them to the connector. Use heat shrink. Plug back in.

Takes about an hour.

Might be cheaper to just get a modern headset and color it purple with paint, vinyl wrap, etc.

Very cool that you're doing this!

Back