Replacement Knobs - 1967 Cessna 150G

Oshis1

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Oshis1
Seeking sources of reasonably priced replacement push pull knobs (NavLights, Beacon, Cabin Heat, Primer, etc.) for 1967 Cessna 150G?

The original knobs are not only plain ugly but very difficult to source and are ridiculously expensive (not a big surprise) to boot!

Thanks!

What is the shaft diameter that they are going on? I use plain old radio knobs that come in a remarkable variety of shapes and sizes.

Jim

Not sure yet... have yet to pick up the airplane! Hoping to next week... I’ll let you know!

Thank you!

Ray

I have same question for my 172G knobs, anyone have a site? Knobs are rather grimy after 52 years of use. Some quick duckduck searching didn't turn up anything.

This might be a good candidate for "owner produced" parts. Easier if you're experimental, of course, but still possible for certified airplanes.

My carb heat knob broke. I replaced it with a $3 drawer pull from Lowes. Had to use a tap to re-thread it; for some reason, the shaft was threaded M5 0.8. It's the lower knob below. I may make another one and tap it a bit deeper.
knob.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

sounds like a job for a 3D printer. We have a kid at work that owns one and never fails to take the bait when someone says "hey - bet you can't reproduce this"

sounds like a job for a 3D printer. We have a kid at work that owns one and never fails to take the bait when someone says "hey - bet you can't reproduce this"
The problem there is the brass insert in most of those knobs. Threads in plastic will tear out quickly in most applications. That insert is heavily knurled and the plastic is cast around it. It spreads the load out over a much larger area.

Need a 3D printer that prints aluminum. The other way would be to find a friend with a lathe and get him to machine some metal knobs. Not difficult at all.

Back