Replaced all the toilet flappers. More home owner crap

hahaha only you Bryan...

<beavis>

"he said ballcock"

</beavis>

I try not to run over 50lbs. on our old farm house on a well. If you go over that, things start to break.

Edit: +1 on the old brassvalves. You set them and they worked a long time before needing attention. I would buy the toughest I can find on the farm if I could find them, because I don't want to be doing it often. :nonod:

But it's good if you can soften your H2o or at least pre-filter it with a whole house filter before it hits your water heaters and faucet screens and toilets. Then put an R/O unit in piped to you're fridge and you're set. :wink2:

Last edited:
hahaha only you Bryan...

<beavis>

"he said ballcock"

</beavis>

Weird, I found this oddly specific audio file.

I have never met Jay in person but this is how I will read his posts in my head moving forward.

Attachments

• Plumbing.mp3
    2 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
We replaced our crapper with one with a pressure tank in back. Looks like a normal toilet form outside until you open the back.
Main reason was because I got sick of the tank sweating. Cold well water.
Unless you put about half a roll of paper in it it does not clog. Had it for at least 10 years now and never had a problem.

This brings up something that has aggravated me for years: Fluidmaster (and every other manufacturer of "toilet guts") makes plastic garbage.

We keep toilet guts in stock. There is rarely a week that I'm not replacing the guts of one of our 25 toilets, due to running on, leakage or noise.

I long for the days of the real brass, simple donkey-float style toilet guts. They lasted forever and were easily adjustable. My local hardware store doesn't even sell them anymore, because the plastic junk is half the price.

Sure, the new stuff is cheaper, but if you're replacing it twice as often...

I hate to sound like a broken record, but ACE Hardware has all brass fill valves.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=28972776

If you local ACE doesn't stock them, just call and ask for one, they'll have it in within 2 days usually.

My experience with the plastic Fluidmaster has been remarkably good, considering I'm in a hard water area. I have replaced maybe 2 in the past 3 years, which isn't bad.

This keeps up, we're all going to be laying pipe this weekend.

We can all get t shirts.

662c6392b017dba209ed9b24e64b805e.jpg

I hate to sound like a broken record, but ACE Hardware has all brass fill valves.

If you local ACE doesn't stock them, just call and ask for one, they'll have it in within 2 days usually.

My experience with the plastic Fluidmaster has been remarkably good, considering I'm in a hard water area. I have replaced maybe 2 in the past 3 years, which isn't bad.

Eureka! :rockon: I had to come to a flying forum to learn where to buy brass toilet parts. :lol:

Weird, I found this oddly specific audio file.

I have never met Jay in person but this is how I will read his posts in my head moving forward.

Dear God. I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed of him for this. Either way, I am laughing.

For some reason, it didn't quote the attachment. Y'all should listen to his plumbing attachment though. It made me tear up a bit.

Dear God. I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed of him for this. Either way, I am laughing.

For some reason, it didn't quote the attachment. Y'all should listen to his plumbing attachment though. It made me tear up a bit.

I think the link can't be quoted as an attachment.
I put a copy here: http://betawise.com/plumbing.mp3

Eren just fix it for him so we can put this thread to rest!!!:D

Just got back from Ace. No brass toilet guts. :(

They did have the brass float arm I needed to replace the arm that corroded off in our housekeepers bathroom.

The guts in that toilet are the original guts from the 1980s. Still going strong, except for that arm.

Just got back from Ace. No brass toilet guts. :(

Did I say to call first?

Did I?

Will they order it for you? I bet they will, all you have to do is give them a few days.

jeezalou...

Personally I have found that it is actually cheaper to buy a low end toilet from Home Debit / Lowes, then it is to fix one..... A 2 dollar wax ring and 10 minutes of your time, swaps a toilet out.... Easy Pleasy...YMMV.

Until you hear that pop that means the POS pvc floor mounting flange cracked when you turn the floor bolt 1/16 of a turn to far. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. :mad2:

Until you hear that pop that means the POS pvc floor mounting flange cracked when you turn the floor bolt 1/16 of a turn to far. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. :mad2:
Oh, man. Been there, done that. On a Friday.

2 hours before check in...

On a sold out weekend...

Those metal 2-piece clamp-on thing-a-ma-jigs actually work. It's lasted two years, now, although I bet it's a giant corroded mass, ready for the next 320-pounder to rock it off the base.

True story - I was looking for a random "something" what it was escapes me. Went to home depot, and lowes, and finally some old timer at home depot sent me to "hank's hardware" (a local Ace franchise). Jay, go to ace, or order online

I think the link can't be quoted as an attachment.
I put a copy here: http://betawise.com/plumbing.mp3

I'm getting caught up on POA (well, getting less behind anyway) while on an airline flight to LAX with Missus Wiz (hey, I said Wiz in a toilet repair thread! Bonus points!) and we are both crying tears from laughing so hard!

Last edited:
I suspect they use their kids' toys like my kid did when he was 3. Or the mouse I found one day. Or the snake on another day. Cold water flat in an old three family. At least the toilet didn't spew all over the house.
I installed flowmaster innards when my toilet started acting up. Took me two weeks to get it right. I HATE plumbing! And innards is such an easy task.
Another thing I just relearned... Talk about something enough and it happens to you. Just had the cold water pipe to the previously mentioned toilet grow a leak, behind the vanity AND the wall, and ran unabated for 3 days when the wet rug could not be blamed on one of the dogs.
Thanks 6PC for starting this nonsense. You'll get yours.

Another thing I just relearned... Talk about something enough and it happens to you. Just had the cold water pipe to the previously mentioned toilet grow a leak, behind the vanity AND the wall, and ran unabated for 3 days when the wet rug could not be blamed on one of the dogs.
Thanks 6PC for starting this nonsense. You'll get yours.

HAHA I got mine already. I better be on the tail end of this karma
It has been freezing out and my one of my heaters went kaput.

The guy came out 4 times replacing pressure switches. Finally found the mother board was fried.

I am keeping a lot of people in business with this house.

HAHA I got mine already. I better be on the tail end of this karma
It has been freezing out and my one of my heaters went kaput.

You live in Texas just how cold is it :D

The day it busted it was 29 degrees.
As luck would have it the heater that controls the bedrooms went out. The main house heater worked. We slept in the living room floor.

I think t actually snowed yesterday or maybe the day before. Not insane cold but too cold to not have heat.

There are thunderstorms today, Bryan. Think "lightning strike"!

Moving all my gas cans next to the hot water heater now.
Where else are there pilot lights?

hmm maybe I need to keep gas cans in the attic near the furnaces too.

Moving all my gas cans next to the hot water heater now.
Where else are there pilot lights?

hmm maybe I need to keep gas cans in the attic near the furnaces too.

You need to dump some out the floor, even then it probably won't be a problem I think most codes want the flame elevated out of the lowest spot, so it should be above the vapors, but you can try if you want....

Well holy crap.

Replace your toilet flappers. Got a welcome surprise in the mail today.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20141212_154627.jpg
    20141212_154627.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 56
Back