Repeat post error

Are you asking if you should buy the wifi-only version or whether you should buy the data plan on a wifi+data box?

If you have an external GPS, you don't need the wifi+data.
If you have the wifi+data version, you don't need to turn on the data plan to get the internal GPS to work.

Whether you want the dataplan is up to you. It's cheap enough for me and it means I can get weather and read my email places where there's no wifi.

The answer for you depends on whether you have a regular need for data beyond flying.

If you don't, Wifi with a Stratus (assuming of course you plan to use ForeFlight) will meet your needs. If you do have a regular data need when wifi isn't available (people who think they will use it for flying generally expand their use, then you need at least data capability (a 3/4G iPad) whether or not you use a all-the-time or only-when-needed data plan.

For context, I am on my second iPad and have been using iPad+FF for 3-4 years now. It's always been wifi only and I haven't really missed data plan capability. I keep thinking my next one will have data capability, but the more time that goes by, it seems the less I need it. Other's experience is completely different.

Back