Repeat all instructions???

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
Today while doing touch-and-goes at a towered airport I was preparing for my last landing and when tower said "Cleared for the option" I responded "Cleared for the option, this will be a full stop landing." Tower then came back with "Cleared to land." I double clicked the mike but said nothing.* Should I have repeated the "Cleared to land?"

*Earlier I had turned into the pattern before reaching the end of the runway because I saw another plane holding short. When I was given "Left closed traffic" I responded "Sorry I went early but wanted to get out of the way" and got a double click in return.

Today while doing touch-and-goes at a towered airport I was preparing for my last landing and when tower said "Cleared for the option" I responded "Cleared for the option, this will be a full stop landing." Tower then came back with "Cleared to land." I double clicked the mike but said nothing.* Should I have repeated the "Cleared to land?"

*Earlier I had turned into the pattern before reaching the end of the runway because I saw another plane holding short. When I was given "Left closed traffic" I responded "Sorry I went early but wanted to get out of the way" and got a double click in return.

click click

I believe you are supposed to read back all landing and hold short instructions. the "option" includes full stop, so your initial 'cleared for the option' was enough. didn't really need to tell him full stop although I know it helps them know what your intentions are. not sure about having to repeat the second clearance to land. doesn't sound like it was a big deal.

You were cleared for the option which includes full stop. No need to acknowledge. The double click from tower was "that's okay."

You were cleared for the option which includes full stop. No need to acknowledge. The double click from tower was "that's okay."

Except the tower amended the clearance, which he should have read back.

While you did get an amended clearance and read back would have been appropriate, think you were good with the acknowledgment of cleared for the option. You were not required to tell him your intentions but every controller I have met appreciates it so they know what to expect and I do the same.

Technically you no longer had the option with the "cleared to land" instruction.

*Earlier I had turned into the pattern before reaching the end of the runway because I saw another plane holding short.

You should request early turn out for turns prior to departure end of runway, that is what tower is expecting and spacing other traffic for. You thinking you are helping solve one problem may create another more serious one if tower is expecting you do fly a standard pattern upwind.

You should acknowledge with your call sign, not double-clicks.

You were not required to tell him your intentions but every controller I have met appreciates it so they know what to expect and I do the same.
I have had controllers tell me the same thing. In Juneau when landing to the west on 26, you often get "short approach, long landing approved". My reply is either "standard pattern or short approach". As @Shawn said it gives the controller a heads up and they appreciate it.

Lately, I've been hearing a lot of pilots reading back every single word, even stuff that's informational rather than being an instruction. That goes well beyond what the AIM recommends, and makes me wonder how the pilots who do this can have enough mental bandwidth left to fly the airplane in some cases.

Lately, I've been hearing a lot of pilots reading back every single word, even stuff that's informational rather than being an instruction. That goes well beyond what the AIM recommends, and makes me wonder how the pilots who do this can have enough mental bandwidth left to fly the airplane in some cases.
Maybe the read back is a memory aid that helps them remember the informational stuff.

Maybe the read back is a memory aid that helps them remember the informational stuff.
Well, it's different from what I was taught, so therefore it's wrong! ;)

Controllers refer to these folks as "parrots."

Bob

Back