Renting some different planes lately and thought I would share local rates

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
Moved to Northwestern Ohio recently and while I still try to fly our club plane (1966 Cherokee 180) in PA every other weekend, I've been looking for something local to rent as well - to fly something different. Had a few checkouts lately and looking at a couple other options as well. I thought someone else might be doing similar comparisons so I would show what renting looks like in this neck of the woods:

Beechcraft Sundowner: Nice plane, no GPS. $125/hr and $45/hr instruction.
Cessna Skyhawk: Trainer, G430. $140/hr and $45/hr instruction.
Grumman Traveler: Nice plane, G430. $135/hr and $40/hr instruction

Next is a Diamond DA40: Nice plane with a G1000. $139/hr and $40/instruction. Might take a few hours to get a feel for the G1000.

Anyway, thought this might be valuable for someone. It has been kinda fun experimenting with other makes of planes.

That's reasonable for the DA40, is it one with a KAP autopilot or GFC700?

Those rates are not too bad, compared to some Ive seen. To compare with the rates at the school I learned from:
2 Cessna 172's (M and N models) 115$/hr. Used to be 113$/hr
2 Cessna 152's 90$/hr. Used to be 88$/hr.
1972 Piper Arrow (not exactly sure on the rate but I believe it's around 165$/hr)
And a 1998 Super Decathlon for 185$/hr

The only DA40 local to me is $180/hr. I would jump all over that rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's reasonable for the DA40, is it one with a KAP autopilot or GFC700?
Don't know much about it yet. I'm deliberating flying the Grumman at the same place for a while or jumping in to the G1000. I can fly the Grumman without the CFI going up with me at $40/hr. LOL!

The DA40 near here is 180 as well with the instructor that's a pricey plane to fly here.

That DA40 rate is fantastic! Go fly it, you'll love it. It's one of my favorites. The G1000 is a lot easier to use than you think, especially so if you're already used to the G430.

Rates for that here are $180+.

Dang a g1000 da 40 is cheaper than a 172 g430.... Thats as cheap as i've seen a da40 rental.

You guys are really talking me into doing some training in the DA40... LOL

They're great planes, much more fun to fly than a Cessna, better view and comfortable. My only gripe would be the KAP autopilot opposed to the GFC700, but if you haven't flown a plane with the G1000 suite along with the GFC700 you won't be spoiled and can tolerate the KAP lol

They're great planes, much more fun to fly than a Cessna, better view and comfortable. My only gripe would be the KAP autopilot opposed to the GFC700, but if you haven't flown a plane with the G1000 suite along with the GFC700 you won't be spoiled and can tolerate the KAP lol
At this point I've never even flown a plane with autopilot. LOL!

At this point I've never even flown a plane with autopilot. LOL!

You're lucky, I went from a Skyhawk with G1000 and GFC700 autopilot which is incredible and then bought a Diamond DA20C1 with zero auto pilot... And then continued to fly all over the country. Hand flying a two seater Diamond from Phoenix to North Carolina makes you really appreciate auto pilot.

Wade, go fly the DA40. You won't regret it for a second. It's so much more fun than the 172, and I still think a 172 is a hoot.

The KAP is fine and you'll love it if you've never used an autopilot before. Make sure your CFI shows you how to use the alt/arm features. It's really nice to have for longer x/c. Once you try a G1000 with the GFC700, then you'll realize why we are ragging on the KAP in comparison.

I DO know that it's a 2005, that it's designated as an 'FP', and that it has a 180hp engine...

Oh, if it's an FP, it's a fixed pitch plane, unless it was STC'd from that. Not a big deal, but it's the entry level DA40

Yep esp in the Diamond. Those high aspect wings have a habit of kicking off the KAP140 at the worst times. But I agree, a Diamond at 139 is a steal. Our club rents a DA40 at 139 an hour but we have to pay dues on top of that. The DA40 is a blast and easy to fly.

Diamond DA-42NG (Twin Engine) $325 an Hour

Cirrus SR22 $300 An Hour

Cirrus SR20 $225 An Hour

Piper Arrow $165 An Hour

Piper Archer $128 An Hour

Cessna 172S Nav III $175 An Hour

Cessna 172I $99 Wet

Diamond DA-42NG (Twin Engine) $325 an Hour

Cirrus SR22 $300 An Hour

Cirrus SR20 $225 An Hour

Piper Arrow $165 An Hour

Piper Archer $128 An Hour

Cessna 172S Nav III $175 An Hour

Cessna 172I $99 Wet

Woah, where are you in FL?!?!

The da-40 with g1000 and the gfc autopilot around me rents for like 125 or 135 dry. I forget which. Only flew it a handful of hours just for kicks and giggles.
Edit to add this diamond has a constant speed prop. I still think it's only 180 horse though? Don't quote me on any of my numbers.

Last edited:
Avgas is like half what it was a few years ago but rental prices seem to be continuing upward.

Avgas is like half what it was a few years ago but rental prices seem to be continuing upward.

I've noticed that too. It could be that other costs, such as insurance, have went up. My local FBO's rates have remained the same since the gas prices were high, and the twin they have available for rent is downright cheap for what gas and insurance must cost and how little it flys. I think the rates have remained where they are because there has been a fair amount of unexpected maintenance needed recently on at least a couple of the planes. The FBO isn't there to keep rates cheap and subsidize people's flying habits... :)

Last I checked, here's the local going rate:
C152 - $80/hour
Archer - $110/hour
Arrow - $130/hour
Aztec - $275/hour

One thing I'd really like to know is how the FBOs set their hourly rates. I suspect that a lot of it has to do with what other operators in the area are charging, balanced with what it actually costs to operate the airplane. With the local hourly rates I've seen I believe the airplanes would need to fly 400-500 hours/year minimum to actually start making a profit off them, and that assumes that there are no major financial setbacks like a premature engine overhaul or damage to the aircraft that would sideline it for a while.

The da-40 with g1000 and the gfc autopilot around me rents for like 125 or 135 dry. I forget which. Only flew it a handful of hours just for kicks and giggles.
Edit to add this diamond has a constant speed prop. I still think it's only 180 horse though? Don't quote me on any of my numbers.

Yes, 180 hp, CS prop. Same burn as a 172S but ~20 ktas quicker and a heckuva good time

Dang, that's cheap. Crappy VFR 172L is $130 an hour here, and I live in MS.

$82 per tach hour, wet, C-172; STEC 20 coupled to GPS and VOR, G-530, Aera, EIS, JPI and fuel flow.

$86 per month dues. Based in DC FRZ.

Those are cheap rates.

T-41B, 210HP, GTN750, $165/hr wet
C-182RG, Garmin 430 w/MX20 moving map, $200/hr wet
C-172 K, L, M models, Garmin 430, $130/hr wet
C-182R, 180HP, KFD540, $155/hr wet

Southeast Houston:
172SP, $123
PA28R-200, $135
PA28-180C, $116
Citabria, $97
Cheetah, $120
C150L, $78
Travelair D95A, $210

The FBO here won't let you take the plane overnight. Is that a relatively normal practice?

The FBO here won't let you take the plane overnight. Is that a relatively normal practice?
Usually there are some kind of minimum hours per day.

I would try to talk with them about their policy, find a new FBO, or join a club.

Bakersfield, CA

Six planes available in a metro area of a million people. Within an hour and a half drive of us:

KBFL -

Bakersfield Flying Club ($30/mo dues)
2 172N models. Updated with Garmins, one has the 180HP

$130/HR wet

1 - 182... $190/HR wet

Excell Aviation - 172N - $125/HR

All of these planes are essentially school planes, so if you want them, you need to book at least two weeks prior.

L45 - Kern Charter
Lost their leaseback 172SP
152- $98/HR

KMIT
Take Flite (Club/school) ($63/mo dues)
C-172 - $120/HR wet.

That's it.

And now you know why I bought my own plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It used to be 10 bucks a gallon?! *faint*

You still pay $5 a gallon?

Used to be $6.00 at most airports here. Average is around 3.50 now for self serve.

Airport manager told me book on 100LL is around 2.85 a gallon right now for him. So that gives you an idea of the current margin.

Around here KEET (just south of KBHM):

C152 $115
C172 $140
C182RG $215
PA28-140 $140
CFI $ 45 (school keeps $15 of it :mad:)

Most places will let you take it overnight but they'll have some sort of rental minimums. They don't want you taking the plane overnight only to have you put an hour on the hobbs.

You still pay $5 a gallon?

Used to be $6.00 at most airports here. Average is around 3.50 now for self serve.

Airport manager told me book on 100LL is around 2.85 a gallon right now for him. So that gives you an idea of the current margin.
4.95 at SS last night.

Most places will let you take it overnight but they'll have some sort of rental minimums. They don't want you taking the plane overnight only to have you put an hour on the hobbs.
You can't take it past closing time here.

Out in Jersey

Warrior - 138
Archer - 160
Mooney 201 - 188
Seminole - 250
Aztec - 375

That is with a 5% cash discount. Get an extra 5% if you are military.

Back