Renting in Denver, CO

TeenDoc

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TeenDoc
*********** Cross-posted *************

I will be in Denver from the 26th to the 31st attending my medical society's annual meeting. I'll have some time to do a little sightseeing and go for a $500.00 hamburger with the wife. I always make time for flying! :D

Will you guys and/or gals from Denver and/or its vicinity give me some advice and recommendations regarding places to get checked out and rent a Cessna 172 (preferred) or 182 and places to fly to for fun?

Addendum: I'm staying at the Marriott City Center on California Street.

Last edited:
north part or south part of town?

If north, then Jeffco ... oops now Metro (still BJC) has McAir Aviation

Boulder and Erie are smaller and I recommend Specialty Flight at Erie

Hopefully some one from Centennial can post their recommendations for the south part of town. Mark (midlifeflyer on this board) flies out of APA...

Places to fly for fun? Hmmm, depending on the time - I would highly recommend contacting Lonnie at Specialty or Mark and do a Mountain Familiarization flight - Denver, Leadville and one of the other points between depending on routing thru the mountains.

There's Pueblo Weisbrod museum on field at Pueblo, Air Force Academy (fly by only - closest airport is Colorado Springs or Meadow Lake).

Wings Over the Rockies museum is east Denver/Aurora - it's a drive-to destination.

Last edited:
Gil,

If it doesn't absolutely have to be a Cessna, I can recommend Journeys Aviation at KBJC. I got a DA40 checkout there when I was in town for a day last July.

Be forewarned that most places in that area operate like clubs and may charge you a 1-day membership fee as well as the hourly rate. Journeys quoted $15 for the 1-day membership, but ended up not charging me for it anyway.

I must also warn you that after flying the DA40, you may want to replace the 172. :yes:

If you are staying to the south or Centennial is more convenient, your primary options are Flights, Inc (www.flights-inc.com) and Aspen Flying Club (www.aspenflyingclub.com). Both will require checkouts before you head out as PIC. Flights may charge you for a 1-month membership, but Aspen (and maybe Flights also) will charge you a non-member rate for the rental instead.

Rental costs are less at Flights than at Aspen, but you may find Aspen more friendly and accommodating to a transient than Flights.

If I can help in any way, please PM me.

Greg, Kent and Mark,
Thanks for your tips. I'll start making calls today.
Gil

If you are staying to the south or Centennial is more convenient, your primary options are Flights, Inc (www.flights-inc.com) and Aspen Flying Club (www.aspenflyingclub.com). Both will require checkouts before you head out as PIC. Flights may charge you for a 1-month membership, but Aspen (and maybe Flights also) will charge you a non-member rate for the rental instead.

Rental costs are less at Flights than at Aspen, but you may find Aspen more friendly and accommodating to a transient than Flights.

If I can help in any way, please PM me.

Man, if I lived in South Denver, I'd be joining that Aspen club. Did you see they just added a DA42 Twin Star!? They've got a LOT of planes on the line.

Back