Renting an airplane on vacation or what is wrong with GA

I looked pretty closely at doing OpenAirplane with the rental setup I'm running and just couldn't convince myself it was worth the time. I really didn't like their rental agreement. I thought it was too restrictive. I also think the checkout is a bit too complicated. Just more paperwork then I want to deal with.

Plus, there is no way in hell I'm going to ask people to sign a rental agreement that is a legally binding document I may have to stand in court and reference some day that contains the following:

Yes, I realize that's probably a joke. But I don't care. It's in a legal document. That made me think they weren't very serious about their operation and I decided to move on.

In reality it wouldn't drive business for us since we're not a tourist destination someone would want to rent an airplane at.

I've looked at OA before too and the checkout seems pretty intense (read expensive) I figure unless I'm doing Rentals in 3 or more other locations, I'm better off just getting paying for a cfi in the right seat if I want to fly somewhere.

Last edited:
Thanks. Will look them up...

Dan

Thats my old school. The aztec is 200/hr dry and the last I checked was dual only. Fuel is about 6.50/gal right now. Not a fan personally.

Check out Moore Air and I highly recommend Georges Aviation.

Thats my old school. The aztec is 200/hr dry and the last I checked was dual only. Fuel is about 6.50/gal right now. Not a fan personally.

Check out Moore Air and I highly recommend Georges Aviation.

At the time I went (November), neither had anything with 6 seats. It was this, and a floatplane outfit with a 206. I was really looking forward to that one, but they wanted something similar to what the OP experienced. I wasn't up for a $1000 outing to do this.

I don't know anything about the other instructor at this place, other than he was an F-22 pilot with the HIANG. But, I thought the plane was clean, and thoroughly enjoyed Grant. He does sound a bit like Ken Jeong from The Hangover. But, it didn't bother me at all, and he and his wife were great with my kids.

At the time I went (November), neither had anything with 6 seats. It was this, and a floatplane outfit with a 206. I was really looking forward to that one, but they wanted something similar to what the OP experienced. I wasn't up for a $1000 outing to do this.

I don't know anything about the other instructor at this place, other than he was an F-22 pilot with the HIANG. But, I thought the plane was clean, and thoroughly enjoyed Grant. He does sound a bit like Ken Jeong from The Hangover. But, it didn't bother me at all, and he and his wife were great with my kids.

Yeah those other guys want a ton to fly in the Beaver float plane. Grant and Tham are good people at TRFS, and you won't go wrong renting from them. They aren't the cheapest, but I think you're right in that they have the only 6 place rental available right now. Grant is a character, but I've heard him say he flew F22's and F18's as well as the Apache. Mmm Hmm. IMO James over there is actually a better instructor.
Probably the best deal you'll find on the island is the DA-40 with G1000 at George's. Only a 4 place but $144/hr wet and most instructors there are $25/hr.

Do you think 5 hours to check out in a 172 is legit?

No way!

If someone has a license and time in a 172 (which is like 90% of PPLs), you should be able to figure out if you'll get your airplane back in one piece in .5 - 1.0.

I asked the samething at an FBO in New England for my trip in May. The woman I spoke with said they didn't want my business. :confused:

Her excuse was that they only did business with locals. I guess they don't like southerns....:rofl:

I asked the samething at an FBO in New England for my trip in May. The woman I spoke with said they didn't want my business. :confused:

Her excuse was that they only did business with locals. I guess they don't like southerns....:rofl:

To her you probably sounded like a Middle Easterner.

Back