Renting aircrafts

shyampatel94

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Shyam Patel
This has been going through my mind for a while now. If I pass my checkride in a c172 and then go out to a different city and want to rent a c172, would I need to give like a checkout or anything? Or would they just let me rent it?

This has been going through my mind for a while now. If I pass my checkride in a c172 and then go out to a different city and want to rent a c172, would I need to give like a checkout or anything? Or would they just let me rent it?
It will depend on the whoever owns the aircraft. But, in general, expect to have to get some instruction so they can feel comfortable with you in their aircraft. Doesn't matter if it's a 172 or something else.

Many and most cases, yes, you will need to spend an hour or three completing a checkout so the owner of the aircraft is comfortable with you.

There is an effort starting up to make this a simpler activity. www.openairplane.com

Yes, usually about an hour -- mostly take off and landings.

Re: Renting aircraft

By the way, don't ask me why, but the plural of "aircraft" is "aircraft":

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/aircraft

Craft when applied to vessels/boats is a collective noun (i.e., it already is plural). Dates back to 1704 in print and in colloquial use for a long time before that. The reasons are obscure but are theorized that it comes from the phrase "vessels of small craft" turning into just "small craft" and then "craft".

Yes, usually about an hour -- mostly take off and landings.

I haven't done this a lot, but my experience is that it should be less than that. I rented a very familiar configuration 172N at KVUO when I visited Portland. The instructor had me do one engine-out across the river, and one landing. The instructor wanted to see I had mountain experience in the logbook because I said I wanted to take it into the Cascades. Took about 0.6 hours Hobbs, and I felt that was reasonable. Another operator in the area said they only wanted one good landing in the first 1/3 of their runway (which was sloped and one-way). Much of the point was familiarization with local procedures. Always a good idea, but truly essential at that airport -- it confuses the heck out of visiting pilots (it's the mythical nontowered Class D airport).

If they want an hour and you can document you're current in type, protest it. All they really need to know is that you aren't going to bend the aircraft.

I think that you will find that the insurance carrier for the FBO will not permit them to rent to anyone without a checkout by an instructor employed by the FBO. I've checked out many an airline pilot before renting them a single-engine airplane...their relatives were aghast that my boss would not simply accept the pilots credentials.

Bob Gardner

I haven't done this a lot, but my experience is that it should be less than that. I rented a very familiar configuration 172N at KVUO when I visited Portland. The instructor had me do one engine-out across the river, and one landing. The instructor wanted to see I had mountain experience in the logbook because I said I wanted to take it into the Cascades. Took about 0.6 hours Hobbs, and I felt that was reasonable. Another operator in the area said they only wanted one good landing in the first 1/3 of their runway (which was sloped and one-way). Much of the point was familiarization with local procedures. Always a good idea, but truly essential at that airport -- it confuses the heck out of visiting pilots (it's the mythical nontowered Class D airport).

If they want an hour and you can document you're current in type, protest it. All they really need to know is that you aren't going to bend the aircraft.

Won't impress the insurance carrier one bit.

Bob Gardner

I haven't done this a lot, but my experience is that it should be less than that.

Opposite perspective, having done it a lot through the years (I've actually been thinking of seeing if I qualify for the Guinness Book of Records).

An hour with a CFI is typical whether you have experience in the make model or not. This isn't Hertz with a huge fleet and insurance costs passed along among millions of drivers. It's a much smaller operation with a tiny fleet and very tight cost/profit margins. Your minor ding of the airplane translates into thousands in lost income for both the FBO and any instructors. So they are extra careful on an initial checkout.

Some may have looser standards and that's great for the renter. But by far most I have come across have had a minimum 1-hour checkout "policy."

That said, I have had many checkouts that were shorter. But those typically involve discretion with the CFI doing the checkout rather than some advance, "I'm a really great pilot so..." protest. Run through the required maneuvers quickly and competently and it just happens faster and naturally generates more confidence by the CFI checking you out.

I've given checkouts in much less than a hour and have had some that take many hours. I want to be sure they understand the airplane and it's systems, and will not hurt themselves or the airplane.

They don't have to rent to you either. Meet their requirements, or find another place that will meet yours.

I've moved all about the country over the last 30 years. Every place I've rented, they wanted an hour with their instructor, and a review of local "gotchas". Many accepted a check out in their highest aircraft would cover their fleet. A C-182RG checkout would cover the straight 182, 172 and 150. It depends on where you go and what you want.

They don't have to rent to you either. Meet their requirements, or find another place that will meet yours.

I've moved all about the country over the last 30 years. Every place I've rented, they wanted an hour with their instructor, and a review of local "gotchas". Many accepted a check out in their highest aircraft would cover their fleet. A C-182RG checkout would cover the straight 182, 172 and 150. It depends on where you go and what you want.
There are reasons for this stuff too. Just because you've flown a 172 doesn't mean you've flown THEIR 172 and there can be enough differences to justify some training. Someone might have no idea how the radio stack works, etc, etc, etc.

why when you rent a car they just give you the key and off you go? I mean you might be playing with the electronics and set the speed limiter at 55 or something.

Like other said about getting checked out it all depend. Do you show you understand everything right away. Is it simple airspace around.
I would say roughly 1 hour. Maybe a little more or less.

Insurance for airplanes is nothing like for cars is the primary reason I suspect.
There's an outfit out there that's setting up a nationwide set of cooperating rental outfits to let you maintain currency that would be good anywhere in their network. I forgot what the link was.

why when you rent a car they just give you the key and off you go? I mean you might be playing with the electronics and set the speed limiter at 55 or something.
Think about it for a moment.

When you rent a car, you are renting it from a company:

1. with a large fleet
2. with pretty good profit margins
3. with the ability to replace the rental quickly
4. where costs of damage and insurance is spread out among thousands if not millions of customers
5. where, even if you rent from a cheap "mom & pop" operation, there's an awful lot of damage than can be done before it becomes unroadworthy.

Contrast that with the typical FBO:
1. with small fleet, much of which isn't even owned by the FBO but is on leseback from individual owners
2. with extremely small profit margins (or none at all; many leaseback owners are happy just to defray some of their ownership costs)
3. no ability to replace the aircraft quickly, suffering an immediate loss of use and revenue to the FBO, the owner of the aircraft, and the CFIs who teach at the FBO
4. where the costs of insurance are extremely high and, since it's a small market with few companies, not regulated the same way as motor vehicle insurance, an accident results in even higher premiums, sometimes prohibitively so.
5. where the slightest ding makes the craft unusable until inspected and repaired.

AOPA has a list of places you can rent. The idea is I'd you check out in say a 172 in Oklahoma, and go to one of the listed places say in Florida, you won't have to recheck.
You can find it on their site.
The first checkout looks pretty thorough.

I think people got the wrong idea a bout my post about renting cars.
Now days I think the rental place SHOULD spend and least 10 min explain how things work in the car.

AOPA has a list of places you can rent. The idea is I'd you check out in say a 172 in Oklahoma, and go to one of the listed places say in Florida, you won't have to recheck.
You can find it on their site.
The first checkout looks pretty thorough.

You're talking about OpenAirplane. It is completely unrelated to AOPA other than they wrote a story about it.

One of the problems I've encountered with a check out is that the CFIs want you to fly the plane their way, and their way varies: -- turn on the carb heat when the RPM falls to a certain value; No, turn on the carb heat when you are mid-field on the downwind regardless of RPM; No, cycle the carb heat but don't keep it on -- land in the first 500 feet of the runway; No, give up the first 1/3 of the runway and land there; I even had on CFI tell me that's it a waste of time to make radio calls after entering the downwind; No, make the calls throughout the pattern; One griped that I said <airport name> in the radio call, but didn't add the word "Traffic."

So the hour isn't needed to prove you can fly the plane. You have to prove you can fly it the way the CFI wants you to fly it.

One of the problems I've encountered with a check out is that the CFIs want you to fly the plane their way, and their way varies: -- turn on the carb heat when the RPM falls to a certain value; No, turn on the carb heat when you are mid-field on the downwind regardless of RPM; No, cycle the carb heat but don't keep it on -- land in the first 500 feet of the runway; No, give up the first 1/3 of the runway and land there; I even had on CFI tell me that's it a waste of time to make radio calls after entering the downwind; No, make the calls throughout the pattern; One griped that I said <airport name> in the radio call, but didn't add the word "Traffic."

So the hour isn't needed to prove you can fly the plane. You have to prove you can fly it the way the CFI wants you to fly it.

That isn't the case for many instructors, myself included. I treat those I am teaching from day one much different than I do on evaluation style flights like checkrides, flight reviews, and proficiency checks.

Worst case: BFR equivalent

Oh no, worst case is worse than that, one broad wanted me to fly 3hrs around all the Bay Area with her 'to make sure I was familiar with the airspace' with her alone costing $70hr which she also charged for the 2.5hrs it took to do their paperwork. $800 checkout... Add in the price for airline tickets and then to fly to San Diego and back and I would have been better off flying my 310 from FL to do what I needed to do.

I've always liked to get in at least a day of flying on vacation and so have been checked out a bunch of times at airports from Florida to California. Even if it was probably going to be a local "tour" with me flying, I always asked to perform checkout maneuvers in case I wanted to fly myself later in the week.

In more than 20 years, I've never run into that. And I think I'm pretty tuned into to see it. I think the single worst thing a CFI can do is to change a pilots technique unless it is demonstrably unsafe or a rule violation.

OTOH, I have in fact learned something on every single checkout flight

Oh no, worst case is worse than that, one broad wanted me to fly 3hrs around all the Bay Area with her 'to make sure I was familiar with the airspace' with her alone costing $70hr which she also charged for the 2.5hrs it took to do their paperwork. $800 checkout... Add in the price for airline tickets and then to fly to San Diego and back and I would have been better off flying my 310 from FL to do what I needed to do.

Or maybe she was impressed/enraptured to be in your presence and was interested in seeing if you could pay a tab sufficient to maintain her lifestyle.
Maybe you should have been flattered
:redface:

Last edited:
Or maybe she was impressed/enraptured to be in your presence and was interested in seeing if you could pay a tab sufficient to maintain her lifestyle.
Maybe you should have been flattered
:redface:

Nope, she was old and "played for the other team", she was milking it and not even doing the work for a 'happy ending'.

A previous out of town pilot I recommended the club to said that it went well, so I was surprised when you got shafted like that. Needless to say, I haven't recommended them again.

Back