Renting a 172 in the Carribbean

Mileage

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mileage
Anyone have any experience renting 172s anywhere in the Caribbean? I'm considering vacation spots and would gravitate towards places where this is possible, if any.

They rent 172s and 182s in Curacao
I set up a checkout for 182 back when I was there in 2022, but got weathered out and didn't get to fly.
At the time it was 425 Gilders (~240$ or so) per hour, including safety pilot for a 172. And about 20% more for a 182.

Plenty of places in Puerto Rico. Mostly out of Isla grande (TJIG) or aguadilla (TJBQ). I think St. Thomas (TIST) may have a place too. Obviously a checkout would be required but you might want to call a couple places. Not all of them allow you to fly to foreign destinations which would limit you to PR and the USVI.

Isla grande Flying school (TJIG)
The Pilot Studio (TJIG)
Buiqui (TJIG and TJBQ)
Air Puerto Rico, Corp (TJBQ)

These are the ones I know of. There could be smaller operations that I’m not familiar with

They rent 172s and 182s in Curacao
I set up a checkout for 182 back when I was there in 2022, but got weathered out and didn't get to fly.
At the time it was 425 Gilders (~240$ or so) per hour, including safety pilot for a 172. And about 20% more for a 182.
I’m set up with these guys for a flight tomorrow, thanks to your information. I was looking for an air tour of the island and my Google-fu came up empty…

It was a lot of fun, and I would do it again.

I flew around Bonaire for an hour. If I had the time, I could have taken a slightly longer flight to Curacao for a touch and go (probably 1h45 to 2h, round trip). I‘ll look them up when in Curacao and take another flight, and hopefully make the return journey to Bonaire for a touch-and-go. I was on the controls from startup to shutdown. I had my licenses and medical with me, and the airplane was N-registered, so there weren’t any particular challenging issues. Winds were swift (12G20-ish, and variable but mostly down the runway), so bring some degree of comfort with crosswind techniques.

On Bonaire, there are two prohibited areas that pushed our low altitude flight out over the water. We circumnavigated most of the island and had great views. We headed back in and flew along the northeast coastline once we cleared the prohibited areas.

Jordan was the “safety pilot” from Falki and was also a local Saab 340 captain. He handled most of the radios, but did none of the flying. The ATC setup is more European style, which is to say that you’re mostly in positive control airspace. There was a single tower frequency that we called for startup, taxi, and takeoff.

The airplane was a 1980’s vintage Cessna 172. Nothing particularly spectacular, and pretty much like what you should expect for a VFR rental plane of that vintage. Some minor squawks, but nothing that was particularly concerning. There’s a life raft in the cargo area and life jackets under the rear bench seat.

The plane regularly flies between Bonaire and Curacao and does sight-seeing on the islands. I can’t say whether it offers more of a sight-seeing flight or if it more regularly caters to the pilot on vacation.

Back