Renewing SI after expiration

Chris Charanza

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
Other than the obvious of not being able to fly solo after my special issuance expires (and without Basic Med) are there any sorts of paperwork hoops I'm going to have to jump through to get a new special issuance sent out to me? I had planned on going Basic Med after 2 years and 1 SI renewal however the doctor at the sleep clinic seems to be taking his sweet time completing my OSA status report (even though he's had the paperwork for 2.5 weeks) and at this point my Initial SI is definitely going to expire on the 31st. I don't really have a HUGE issue with this in the short term but I want to make sure that the FAA isn't going to give me issues sending in paperwork after the original expiration date of the end of this month because at this rate it'll probably be April before I can get them the OSA status report.

you can do basicMed by having your PCP do an exam and then you taking the class. Then have it, and continue to do the SI medical if you want that. Then you'll at least be legal to fly.

If you push, you can get basicmed in a day - go to a doc-in-the-box who does the exams (call first to confirm, look for places that do DOT exams) and then take the BasicMed online course.

Is there a reason you need to continue your FAA SI?

If you push, you can get basicmed in a day - go to a doc-in-the-box who does the exams (call first to confirm, look for places that do DOT exams) and then take the BasicMed online course.

Is there a reason you need to continue your FAA SI?

Honestly? No I think for me it's just the psychological victory of having it because it was such a pain in the butt to get to begin with and I wanted to maintain it until I was due up for the next visit to the AME and then I was going to let it quietly expire and go Basic Med (stupid reason I know)

I went for my exam a month or two late last year, so my SI had expired. My AME back-dated my new medical so that it would expire again 12 months after the last time (instead of 2 months later). I don't know if that was necessary, but I didn't fight it. At any rate, the re-issue was a non-event (other than a scolding from the AME that I should have come in two months earlier). I got the normal letter and other paperwork from the FAA about it a few weeks later, like usual.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back