Renewing expired medical with SI

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
moved this section from Hangar Talk post...
I am getting back in the cockpit after laying off for nearly two years due to family medical issues that needed my full undivided attention.

I didn't renew my medical (Oct 06), and I was on an annual SI for Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), with the 5 year authorization to issue in the office letter from Dr. Silberman. The 5th year would have been for my renewal in October of 2006, so I assume this letter is no longer valid. Does that mean a new SI authorization from OKC, or might a good AME have authorization to issue if all criteria of the original issue are still met? I knew those criteria 2 years ago - hopefully they remain unchanged.

moved this section from Hangar Talk post...
I am getting back in the cockpit after laying off for nearly two years due to family medical issues that needed my full undivided attention.

I didn't renew my medical (Oct 06), and I was on an annual SI for Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), with the 5 year authorization to issue in the office letter from Dr. Silberman. The 5th year would have been for my renewal in October of 2006, so I assume this letter is no longer valid. Does that mean a new SI authorization from OKC, or might a good AME have authorization to issue if all criteria of the original issue are still met? I knew those criteria 2 years ago - hopefully they remain unchanged.
You'll need all the components of the first SI, unfortunately. The sleep study, the titration, the statement that the newly adjusted PEEP (hopefully less than or equal to 12 cms pressure) is wiping out your symptoms and you're alert awake at at 'em.

Sigh.

Thanks, Doc. I was hoping that was not the case (sleep study) ... I've just started a new job and bene's have a 30 day waiting period ... so looks like I'll have to wait a while to start the ball rolling again while waiting to schedule a new sleep study.

Good news - in pulling all my papers together for this, I found I DID receive a new 6 year Authorization for SI from OKC in the fall of '05 - good thru 2010! Now, if letting my medical lapse didn't hose things up too badly, this might not be as tough as I thought! :fingers crossed: :)

Good luck Greg. Going back to the FBO at Erie?

Thanks, Anthony. Specialty Flight moved from Erie to Boulder - I'm not sure who's running the FBO at Erie now. I'm currently working just a few minutes from Jeffco (oops "Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport" - yeah, right ... ) - I'm seriously looking into an ownership/partnership club at BJC. They have a '77 Archer, an '80 Bonanza and an '88 Saratoga.

GOOD! That one's just a letter from the sleep doc, a read of your machine's usage chip and a tirp to the AME!

I'm seriously looking into an ownership/partnership club at BJC. They have a '77 Archer, an '80 Bonanza and an '88 Saratoga.

Excellent! Glad to hear it. Yeah, Rocky Mountain Metro.......right. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the confirmation on that, Bruce. I've talked with an AME in Boulder (pre-exam consultation) who specializes in SI cases and he said the same thing - once I found that letter it should be a cake walk.

Anthony - my neighbor is a retired United captain and he's been with the club for years - the club's been around since 1956 and incorporated as a CO non-profit in 1961. They limit membership to 45 members and currently have a couple of openings. Buy-in looks reasonable, monthly dues convert to flyable hours (no expiration) and equivalent hourly rate looks reasonable, too. Most members are very senior and apparently fly the Bonanza and Saratoga mostly - they told me the Archer is severely under-utilized so scheduling that one should be no problem.

I now have in my hands, the ink still wet,

MEDICAL CERTIFICATE THIRD CLASS

good for 1 year and 2 weeks of legal aviating!!! :goofy:

Time to get thee aloft once again!

I now have in my hands, the ink still wet,

MEDICAL CERTIFICATE THIRD CLASS

good for 1 year and 2 weeks of legal aviating!!! :goofy:

Time to get thee aloft once again!
That's great news Greg! :yes: Now you'll have to start posting about your flights. :yes:

Hey - congrats Greg!
Sorry I missed the DEN get together this past weekend, but hope to see you in the skies soon!
Brian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back